Home

Cheat Console in Vista

MacTavish

Hello again. I have finally gotten Kotor to work on Windows Vista but the cheat console doesn't work. I have checked the .ini (EnableCheats=1) and everything, but I push the ~ button and nothing happens. Does this always happen or is there a way to fix this?

Hello again. I have finally gotten Kotor to work on Windows Vista but the cheat console doesn't work. I have checked the .ini (EnableCheats=1) and everything, but I push the ~ button and nothing happens. Does this always happen or is there a way to fix this?

First off, (I'm not familiar with Vista file handling, forgive me).. I'd check to make sure your ini changes stuck. You may have to be logged as an Admin in order to 'write to file'. Changes to a read-only file will just revert back to original (if it even allows you to save at that point).

Also, when pressing the "~" key... look in your top left corner of the screen. The cheat console is rather anti-climatic and can be easily overlooked :xp:

The only thing you'll see is a ">" symbol.. no fancy lists, panels etc for cheats. Many times it'll blend in with the background graphics depending on where you're at. :)

First off, (I'm not familiar with Vista file handling, forgive me).. I'd check to make sure your ini changes stuck. You may have to be logged as an Admin in order to 'write to file'. Changes to a read-only file will just revert back to original (if it even allows you to save at that point).

Also, when pressing the "~" key... look in your top left corner of the screen. The cheat console is rather anti-climatic and can be easily overlooked :xp:

The only thing you'll see is a ">" symbol.. no fancy lists, panels etc for cheats. Many times it'll blend in with the background graphics depending on where you're at. :)

I have used the cheatconsole many times before on my XP computer, but for some reason on my Vista computer it doesnt work.

I have used the cheatconsole many times before on my XP computer, but for some reason on my Vista computer it doesnt work.

Aaah.. then forgive the dialect/tone of my last post, ya never know around here.. hehehe ;)

Are you using the Vista version .exe listed in this thread? (last post #24):

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=176499

Not sure, but it may help (or hinder if you're currently using it). I haven't had the chance to test it, not having Vista, however I can't help but wonder if the new .exe may have solved (or removed) the accessible cheat console :giveup:

Aaah.. then forgive the dialect/tone of my last post, ya never know around here.. hehehe ;)

No harm done, :giggle1:

Are you using the Vista version .exe listed in this thread? (last post #24):

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=176499

Not sure, but it may help (or hinder if you're currently using it). I haven't had the chance to test it, not having Vista, however I can't help but wonder if the new .exe may have solved (or removed) the accessible cheat console :giveup:

Yes, I downloaded the exe for Vista cause that was the only way it would work. But if the cheat console was removed, oh well...

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I downloaded the exe for Vista cause that was the only way it would work. But if the cheat console was removed, oh well...

Thanks for the help!

On my end that would suck because I love using turbo.

I had this problem when I first installed kotor. You see microsoft did some crap with the way files are alterd and they sure dont tell you that. So what you do is go to your kotor folder at the top there'll be a "compatibility files" button. So click that, you are given a different .ini and there all your alterations will stay assuming you save ofcoarse. Many people have had this problem and not just with kotor. Microsoft should've provided a good readme so you dont get confused. It took me about a month and a half figure out how to do this. I think I was the first one to discover it cause on other vista gamer support forums they sure dont know the answer to this when its so simple.

Archived