Home

Problems with KOTOR Tool

Sir Vougalot

I've recently wiped my hard drive clean. My KOTOR Tool wasn't working right when I reinstalled it from my backed up file when I wiped my system, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it again, but the thing took all of the files in its directory with it, deleting all of my saved skins that I had edited or was working on. I worked a long time on those! And to boot, the damn thing won't open the proper files its supposed to open. (I'm trying to edit an appearance.2da file from a mod, but it won't open.)

Well, it runs on its own, but it won't open up a .2da file I want opened.

Microsoft.Net is still there. I didn't need to back it up or reinstall it as it comes with the computer.

Does version 2.0 come with it?

I was unaware any Windows OS came with either a 1.1 .NET or .Net 2.0 default install (though I've been surprised before :lol: )

Well, it runs on its own, but it won't open up a .2da file I want opened.

Was it able to open that 2DA file before you reinstalled it? If it's from a mod someone else has made it's possible the 2DA file is in the 2DA V2.0 format rather than the normal 2DA V2.b format. KotorTool's 2DA editor won't handle V2.0 files, but you can open them with a text editor instead since they are in plain text format.

(Though I'd recommend using v2.b instead since it's easier to make compatible with other mods and the 2DA files become smaller and presumably quicker to load for the game.)

Well, I'm trying something different now: I'm trying to open up the appearance.2da file in my override folder - which I backed up and carried over from before my system wipe and which was one of the files that KOTOR Tool would open up prior to the reinstallation - and it would not open. I tried right-clicking and selecting "open with" and "choose program," but when I select KOTOR Tool in "browse" it won't select it; it won't even appear on the prior window in "choose program" after selecting it from "browse".

I've also tried MS Word and Notepad but they can't read the format. I get a bunch of jibberish.

That's for the one in my override folder. The files in the mod folder don't even have the option of selecting "open with."

(By the way, for what it's worth, the mod in question is Silveredge9's "Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance." With wish he would have used the TSL Patcher or what ever it's called to combine .2da files automatically.)

Well, I'm trying something different now: I'm trying to open up the appearance.2da file in my override folder - which I backed up and carried over from before my system wipe and which was one of the files that KOTOR Tool would open up prior to the reinstallation - and it would not open.

Can you open the 2DA file with another 2DA editor? If so you know the problem lies with KotorTool. If not the file might have been corrupted somehow.

If I remember right, Kristy Kistic distributed the components in her tools bundle. You'll have to extract the MSFLXGRD.OCX file from that folder, put it into your %WINDOWS% folder and then from a command line type:

regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx

The components are in the file you already downloaded. They may be called controls.

I've also tried MS Word and Notepad but they can't read the format. I get a bunch of jibberish.

Does the gibberish begin with the characters 2DA V2.b ? If not, this may be a lost cause.

Archived