Home

De-facto independent countries to ask EU, UN for statehood recognition (NOT Kosovo)

SilentScope001

Why not Kosovo? Because Kosovo has demanded for independence for quite some time, and will likely get by year's end, with Allied help. No, I'm talking about "Boring Issue on Page 8A", the Question of CIS's Successor States.

http://www.tiraspoltimes.com/node/1397

Please, note, the article IS propaganda, and does not show my view. Many Western observers see those three de facto nations as in fact Russian puppets. Also note that Russia themselves do not recognize the three nations, but do help provide peacekeeping forces.

That being said, even if they are Russian puppets, why NOT recognize their independence? Does sound a bit hypocritical considering the USA made a unilateral declaration of independence in 1776.

Because they don't meet the height requirements, and nobody can pronounce them.

'cept in 1776 there wasn't this UN or EU thing, and nobody needed to recognize anybody else's sovereignty, simply because, if a group, in an area had power, they had sovereignty. If countries like these came to be back in 1776, somebody would conquer them.

in any case, if they can be sovereign and support themselves somehow, good for them. I don't expect to see anything come of it though.

That being said, even if they are Russian puppets, why NOT recognize their independence? Does sound a bit hypocritical considering the USA made a unilateral declaration of independence in 1776.

Waaaait... You mean the US that actually took back the states that chose to be independant, or the one that controls some other smaller puppet states as "US Territories"?

Archived