Home

Jedi Knight on Console?

DarthVandar205

I have always been wondering this and I dont beleive it was discussed here but why did LucasArts never put Jedi Knight on a console, like Playstation or XBox? I know they made Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on consoles I just dont get why they didnt make Jedi Knght for any of those. I think it wouldve been cool to play it on there.

I have always been wondering this and I dont beleive it was discussed here but why did LucasArts never put Jedi Knight on a console, like Playstation or XBox? I know they made Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on consoles I just dont get why they didnt make Jedi Knght for any of those. I think it wouldve been cool to play it on there.

Jedi Knight came out several years before the Xbox. They decided with its horrible graphics that it shouldn't be ported to the Xbox. I believe the first JK game was on PS1. I think they thought it didn't have enough sales and the PC version stuck out more. So they decided not to have a PS1 version

• 5 months later...

Jedi Knight came out several years before the Xbox. They decided with its horrible graphics that it shouldn't be ported to the Xbox. I believe the first JK game was on PS1. I think they thought it didn't have enough sales and the PC version stuck out more. So they decided not to have a PS1 version

Well youd think now with the xbox360 out and the superior technology out there they could improve the graphics and put it out on one of the next gen consoles and get alot of people to play it that didnt have the benefit to play it on a console before. Its the only JK game that hasnt been ported to a console and im sure most would agree here that its one of the best of the whole bunch. Just seems like something they could do when they run out of new ideas so the new crowd that plays on the newer consoles could enjoy it too. That way it would be an alternative to the PC version which many have trouble playing on the new systems.

Jedi Knight sold very well. 6th best for PC that year I believe. This is not the reason it was never ported. I think maybe it landed in a weird pocket, console wise, where the existing consoles perhaps couldn't run it? Just a guess.

LucasArts is never going to invest time and money into revamping a ten year old game. Believe me when I say that I'd be the first in line to buy it though. Would they ever possibly remake it entirely? Parhaps but I wouldn't count on it.

LucasArts is never going to invest time and money into revamping a ten year old game. Believe me when I say that I'd be the first in line to buy it though. Would they ever possibly remake it entirely? Parhaps but I wouldn't count on it.

Seems like they have a habit of that, either not making things for certain platforms or if they do not finishing or fixing the game and then once its done just moving on to the next thing instead of spending time trying to make their previous game better. This was probably something that should have been done years ago when the game was still relatively new.

Porting Dark Forces 2 to console was not really necessary at the time it was made. Console gaming then was not nearly as popular as it is now, and PC gaming was still the it thing. Console gaming didn't reach peak popularity until about the time of the sequel's release. Unsurprisingly, Jedi Outcast is available for consoles. :)

• 7 months later...

Well they did sort of revamp "Outlaws" in 2001, but anyway, yeah.

Dark Forces (which was a DOS game) was released on PS1. Jedi Outcast was released on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, and Jedi Academy was released on Xbox.

The Macintosh got DF, JK2 and JA. A "windows" port of Dark Forces came out, but it was just a win9X based launcher for the same DOS game.

So neither JK1 nor MotS was ever ported to any consoles. It would have been a great game. It was probably an issue of timing and licensing... because Quake II, released only a few months after JK, was ported to the PS1 and N64 (and the freakin' AMIGA).

I guess you could hope some homebrew editor ports it to some console, but it'd be a total bootleg.

The closest things we've gotten to "Jedi games" outside this series have been "Star Wars: Obi-Wan" (a critical failure and a flop, an X-box exclusive), Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (apparently the gameplay is pretty different, it's more of a side scroller type fighter, iirc), and then "Force Unleashed" was probably the most like a Jedi Knight game... and it came out for every console under the sun, but not the PC (a total snub, really, because the PC could have handled it).

FU (wow, even the name sounds like LucasArts was giving PC gamers the finger! j/k) had a 2 player duel mode, but the perspective was much like the Episode III game... a side view type of battle, like Soul Calibur.

The last one I'm upset about, because although the premise of the game was pretty silly, it was finally a game where you played a "Dark Jedi," which would have been the next natural story to do in the JK series. It could have been amazing with online multiplayer and modability. Oh well...

• 3 years later...

Glad to find out years later that both TFU ("Ultimate Sith Edition") and TFU2 were ported to the PC. Sadly, still no official JK sequel... and the multiplayer was left out of the PC ports anyhow (and the saber combat is basically button mashing, nothing too special compared to the JK series), though the force control is great... and there's no first person viewpoint and no real gunplay.

And as far as I know, JK/MotS still haven't been ported to any consoles, not even by homebrewers. Pity. We'll probably see them ported as part of some mobile gaming app before we see it on the Xbox360, wii/U or ps3.

Archived