Home

Stuck entering Rubacava

Wheeee

Well, I don't know how active this place is but its worth asking.

I can get the game to run near perfectly with a bunch of fixes, I'm running XP sp2.

However, I cannot enter Rubacava, the place after the petrified forest, sorry if theres a misspelling. If I watch the cutscene, or ESC through it, the game freezes and stops responding.

I don't know if this is the fault of the CD or my computer, but it could be related to the fact that when I try to copy all my files to my HD by means of physical copying or from the launcher, it gives me "Cyclic Redundancy Error" (or something along those lines) when I try to copy the Data001.lab File off the CD.

Any help?

The cyclic redundancy check error is one that's come up a number of times, including with my own copy. Indeed, I've mentioned it a few times over the years on these forums.

All I've been able to discern is that after a period of time some of the LAB files on the disc somehow get corrupted, and thus cannot be copied or read; as soon as the game tries to use data from those files, you get a sound loop, lock-up, crash, or all of the above.

Weirdly, my own copy stopped exhibiting this issue when I tried it again a year or so later — still on XP. I never did work out what exactly caused it, but I do know that the operating system simply could not access those files on the disc. Maybe it was something as basic as a scratch.

The only way I managed to get it working was to obtain those files from elsewhere, which in my case was someone else who had the game. If this isn't an option, I'd personally be inclined to do the following:

• Ensure the disc has no physical issues

• Install Virtual PC (free from Microsoft if your Windows is legitimate) and load a barebone copy of Windows XP (also free from Microsoft) or Windows 98 if you have it, and see if it works through that

Note that the easiest way to check whether or not you've fixed the problem is to continue trying to install the game to your HD. If it fails, it's going to fail just the same when you try to read it off the CD in-game.

Ok, different problem now :(

I got a working copy of the game, and I can now run from my HD. However, when I open the game, it starts me up "in" a cutscene, where I have control of Manny within the pre-rendered background of the cutscene going to Rubacava, and I don't have a savegame to load. Can anyone tell me how to get it to start at the beginning of the game? either that or give me a way to transfer save files off the CD version to the HD version?

EDIT: I lied, it was the launcher messing with my head :p

Can anyone tell me how to get cutscenes working on when I run off my hard drive?

Double edit: I lied again. Someone should really hit me :p Now I just gotta deal with some spontaneous crashing!

Archived