Home

K1 higher levels

loki-cat

editing the 2da file to increase the number of things you get per level could be a good way of doing things. I might try it with mine and see what happens.

Loki-Cat

Or you could just download and use Shem's;

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Feat_Progression_for_K1;76579

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Increased_Attributes_and_Skills_for_both_KOTOR_TSL;67082

Wouldn't it be possible to circumvent the level cap by manually reducing your level and XP total? After all, as long as you have the primary benefits of reaching level 20 (feats, Force powers, skill points, VPs and FPs), there's little point in actually being level 20 -- it's just a number.

The XP progression in KotOR follows the 3E D&D progression. Each level you need your current level x 1,000 XP in order to get to your next level. Cumulatively, this means you need 1,000 XP, then 3,000 (1,000 + 2,000), then 6,000 (3,000 + 3,000), then 10,000 (6,000 + 4,000), etc.

To reach level 20, you need a total of 190,000 XP. If you were to reduce the level to, say, 12 or 16 (which are levels where you get an attribute adjustment), you could reduce your current XP by (current level x 1,000 - 20,000) to simulate required difference in XP gain from level 20 to 21. A quick example is if you chose level 16, you'd reduce the current XP to 4,000 below minimum for level 16 (assuming this doesn't interfere with your actual level). This would mean you have to get 20,000 XP -- which is what is required to go from 20 to 21 -- to get to level 17. You'd have to do this each time, of course, reducing your current XP by (current level x 1,000 - n x 1,000), where n is the level you're simulating.

This is a bunch of work, obviously, so it would be best to have a script do it for you -- and I know absolutely nothing of scripting, least of all whether or not this would be at all possible.

Now, this is far from perfect -- even if it does work, and you don't end up losing a bunch of your VPs and FPs, you'd still be restricted from high level Force powers, and your feat gain would be pretty static, you wouldn't be able to get more ranks in skills than 23, XP gain would be completely messed up, etc. But still, it's an idea. What do you think? Would it be possible?

Another idea would be to have each level count as two. As far as I know, you can modify the XP table -- i.e. the XP required to level up -- via .2da editing (as well as the XP gain from monsters). If you modified that table so that in order to reach level 2, you'd need as much XP as you normally would need to reach level 4, then made level 2 give you all the benefits from level 3 and 4, then you'd essentially be level 4 while the game thinks you're level 2. If you do this for all the levels in the game, you'd technically end up being twice as powerful if you ever were to reach level 20.

Of course, this has even more flaws than my other idea, but as far as I know, this should definitely be doable, and you would get as many feats and Force powers as you should along the way. The main problems would be attribute points and skill points (and the fact that you're forced to go for an entire level without getting the benefits from it), but I believe that at least the attribute adjustment can be addressed by scripting? As I said, I know next-to-nothing about it.

I just use KSE to level up, as you can see here (bottom left):

That doesn't do anything but change the number.

Just think about it for a second. Why would someone want to be a higher level?

The answer is so that way they can get more stats. So in that case, they might as well just cheat in stats. But that totally goes against the spirit of the request, which is a desire for the leveling up system to work correctly past level 20.

What you said doesn't accomplish this.

_EW_

The idea would be for the levelling system to work correctly, yes. What exactly is wrong with that?

I don't want to cheat in KSE with regards to levelling up. I want to be able to grow more powerful throughout the course of the game. While it would essentially be the same, it'd cheapen the whole thing.

With content mods, you can get far more XP than is 'required' to hit level 20. It just feels jarring to hit 20 and know you're not going to get better.

It's funny - that's the whole reason I got KSE in the first place - I hit the Level 20 Plateau and was disappointed.

Remember the days when these Epic Questing Games took you all the way to Level 99? I do, and I miss those days. Games these lack something of their electronic and cultural ancestorage - something that makes a good game truly great, and capping off at Level 20 is something of a pain.

IMHO any way.

Archived