Home

An essay on the world - Part I

Maxstate

Practicing my English and trying to review my own social and political views:

An essay concerning the world - Part I

Dear reader,

I am a human being. Time, date and name in this instance, are of importance only for those who wish to attack the human being(s) behind this story, instead of his or her beliefs.

It is that I say this, in order to bring the right kind of momentum to the start of this essay, for in this essay, human beings will be put first. They should always be put first, in any circumstance. However, such is not our nature. Through scarcity of food and yearning for a simpler, more comfortable life, parts of the human race

have become greedy. Generations with this mindset have bloomed in the past, and were raised with the constant assurance of being presented with a better life than their mothers or fathers. The societal effects of those generations, we still see today.

The capital-driven businessman with total disregard for human life is a stereotype that prompts thoughts of ideals of something far beyond a stereotype; the once noble savage has retained his nobility and instead used it to whet his sense of entitlement into a weapon. From hunter-gatherer to worker of the lands, slowing his nomadic momentum to a pace that is just slow enough to rid the land of any and all resources, but just fast enough, not to become once again what he once was.

Man in general has not progressed, only his tools have. Decorums that one would think should be considered natural to something as far along in the evolutionary path as human beings, come not naturally, but by play and act, with a fourth wall that is just barely holding its own weight in plywood. Intellectual foundations of mathematics, politics and language, laid out by entire civilizations of men and women more than 2000 years ago have only recently become a widespread phenomenon. Just not until, however, man used them to find even more twisted and devious ways to murder. Man would much rather close its eyes and put their livelihoods into the metaphysical arms of a supreme deity, than to use their lives for the purpose that this deity supposedly created them. A deity, not forgetting to mention, that is key to a large portion of human kind’s frustration with itself.

Woman domesticates the sheep and pig, she educates the young and tends to the same lands that made it possible for humanity to stay long enough in one place to create the city scapes we see today. Woman is yet, however, seen as nothing more than a sexual object. Ridicule that causes all wish for a serious change to disintegrate is what meets woman when she tries to emancipate herself. Even today, the jokes and humoristic notions (or otherwise stereotypes) of woman pervade into our daily lives as light-hearted confessions of misogyny.

As Will Durant said: “Man is woman's last domestic animal, and perhaps he is the last creature that will be civilized by woman”.

Human beings of other color, culture or descent were held as slaves and servants no more than 200 years ago and this rage continues to exist even in this day. For the same reason as stated before, human beings are met with ridicule, hatred, loathing and in many cases even death.

And for the same racial misconceptions, human beings deny other human beings a better life in a better country. They talk behind the backs of their neighbors, mocking their different cultural belief systems while in turn upholding and protecting their own and asking: “why should I change? why should I assimilate?”. Border mentality, “mine and yours” is the best, and the worst thing that has happened to humanity.

Religious books, 2 millennia old, teaching ignorance are the world’s top sellers and universally accepted sources of morality and ethics, and knowledge. The same books that speak of genocide, murder, slavery... it would however be low of me to critically connect this to humanity’s behaviour. Books are books, humanity is humanity. Books, are as far as I know, still unable to commit nor chronicle genocide.

Still, for everything wrong with humanity, it has produced some magnificent pearls of its own.

<end of part I>

Help mah fix mah grammars and tell me what I'm doing wrong, since I have to edit each goddamn post I make on these forums :(

Religious books, 2 millennia old, teaching ignorance are the world’s top sellers and universally accepted sources of morality and ethics, and knowledge. The same books that speak of genocide, murder, slavery... it would however be low of me to critically connect this to humanity’s behaviour. Books are books, humanity is humanity. Books, are as far as I know, still unable to commit nor chronicle genocide.
I like that part a lot.

Ray might like this part, but I'm inclined to disagree with the point you're trying to make.

However, I think it's written very well, and reads easy.

The one sentence that I'm not crazy about is:

Still, for everything wrong with humanity, it has produced some magnificent pearls of its own.

But that's not a hard fix.

Anyway, hope to see part 2 in the near future.

_EW_

Archived