Home

Extreme Life Found a Mile Below Seafloor

Achilles

Saying "a mile below it" indicated to me that you were confused about what the crust was. *shrugs*
I'm not sure how you would think that, since I was defining how I was using the word "surface", which is "the exterior or upper boundary of an object or body" (webster.com).

Please don't answer my questions with questions. You said it was highly unlikely. Please explain why.
I honestly can't believe you'd even choose to argue this. If it takes a perfect set of consequences (xyz) for abiogenesis to occur, and we are assuming that it didn't occur on the surface and it was brought to Earth by meteorite, then it would be extremely unlikely that, mutually exclusive from the meteorite event, abiogenesis would occur on the very same planet a mile below the surface that life was brought to by meteorite . Observing your past comments you'll probably just ask "why?" again.

I absolutely did. You even quoted my reply in your response and offered a response of your own.
I guess you didn't read my statement correctly, or misinterpreted it. I said the same thing you did. Go back and read it again. You responded to one sentence that didn't stand alone, and then responded to the rest afterward. That's why I wrote I wasn't responding to the one sentence and chose to respond to the following statements instead, since that's what was relevant.

I'm sure all the biochemists studying abiogenesis will be deeply troubled to learn that they wasted all that time and effort acquiring advanced degrees when all they need was "common sense" and a little guesswork.
You're making a huge leap here. I said I was nowhere near an expert, but using the knowledge I do have I can make educated guesses on what's more likely. If you took that to mean I can guess correctly as well as a biochemist can, then you are sorely mistaken.

Source please?

*wonders how is the food-making process for plants is related to the evolution of self-replicating strands of chemicals*

(hint: "primordial soup" and "abiogenesis" are not the same thing. One is a set of conditions and one is a process)

As for a source, I initially drew from memory from what I had learned in school for photosynthesis being part of abiogenesis. Since you asked for a source, I looked it up on wikipedia just to see if I was way off base, and I found this in the first paragraph:

In the natural sciences, abiogenesis, the question of the origin of life, is the study of how life on Earth emerged from non-life. Scientific consensus is that abiogenesis occurred sometime between 4.4 billion years ago, when water vapor first liquefied,[2] and 2.7 billion years ago, when the ratio of stable isotopes of carbon (12C and 13C), iron (56Fe, 57Fe, and 58Fe) and sulfur (32S, 33S, 34S, and 36S) points to a biogenic origin of minerals and sediments[3][4] and molecular biomarkers indicate photosynthesis.[5][6] This topic also includes panspermia and other exogenic theories regarding possible extra-planetary or extraterrestrial origins of life.[7]
After reading on quite a bit there are many different theories for abiogenesis, some which involve photosynthesis and some that do not. So, again, I'll stipulate that I'm not anywhere close to an expert, but drawing upon my memory from high school biology I remembered sunlight being important and in popular abiogenesis theories, it is.

(hint: if you type in "primordial soup" in wikipedia, it redirects you to "abiogenesis"... hmm... perhaps the two are closely related? I'm not saying they're the same thing (I never did), but both are germane to the discussion and it was not inappropriate for me to include both of them in my statement.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how you would think that, since I was defining how I was using the word "surface", which is "the exterior or upper boundary of an object or body" (webster.com).
Yes, clearly.

I honestly can't believe you'd even choose to argue this. If it takes a perfect set of consequences (xyz) for abiogenesis to occur, and we are assuming that it didn't occur on the surface and it was brought to Earth by meteorite, then it would be extremely unlikely that, mutually exclusive from the meteorite event, abiogenesis would occur on the very same planet a mile below the surface that life was brought to by meteorite . Observing your past comments you'll probably just ask "why?" again.
Indeed I will, as you've yet to answer the question (you simply repeated your position). If you're going to rule out all possible explanation except the one that you like the most, or personally find most plausible, you have to tell us why we should too.

If you're arguing that the result was product of a meteor (exogenesis) then why can't the conditions that have existed where ever the meteor came from also exist here? If they exist here, then why couldn't live spring up in more than one place? More than one time? You're asking us to accept that it could only happen in one place at one time but you aren't telling us why, only that your educated guess is that it's highly unlikely.

I guess you didn't read my statement correctly, or misinterpreted it. I said the same thing you did. Go back and read it again. You responded to one sentence that didn't stand alone, and then responded to the rest afterward. That's why I wrote I wasn't responding to the one sentence and chose to respond to the following statements instead, since that's what was relevant.
The only thing our comments have in common is that they include references to "xyz conditions". And clearly you and I are very much in disagreement about where those conditions can exist (I'll even go so far as to point out that we probably disagree on what those conditions are). So either we are not "saying the same thing" or we should recognize that we are in complete agreement based on the fact that we are both communicating via the English language.

You're making a huge leap here. I said I was nowhere near an expert, but using the knowledge I do have I can make educated guesses on what's more likely. If you took that to mean I can guess correctly as well as a biochemist can, then you are sorely mistaken.
I was merely pointing out that you seem to think that your educated guesses are just as credible as their research. ;)

As for a source, I initially drew from memory from what I had learned in school for photosynthesis being part of abiogenesis. Since you asked for a source, I looked it up on wikipedia just to see if I was way off base, and I found this in the first paragraph:

<snip>

And drawing upon my memory from high school biology (I guess technically I could also be drawing upon college biology too), I recall that photosynthesis is a process that takes place at the cellular level.

Since we're talking about the process that would have lead us up to cells and then eventually organisms, I guess I'll have to defer to whomever anonymously edited that wiki to explain how that's possible. (hint: the sources that the line reference talk about biosynthesis and photosynthesis in bacteria, not photosynthesis as a "requirement for abiogenesis").

After reading on quite a bit there are many different theories for abiogenesis, some which involve photosynthesis and some that do not.
Yes, after reading, I imagine that you read quite a bit about some of the existing and historic hypothesis about abiogenesis. However none of them list photosynthesis as a requirement.

So, again, I'll stipulate that I'm not anywhere close to an expert, but drawing upon my memory from high school biology I remembered sunlight being important and in popular abiogenesis theories, it is.
Heat is a requirement. Sunlight is not. Heat can come from geothermal sources as well, hence why they are capable of finding organisms a mile below the crust surface. I hope that helps.

(hint: if you type in "primordial soup" in wikipedia, it redirects you to "abiogenesis"... hmm... perhaps the two are closely related?
How does this explain why you suggested they were interchangable?

I'm not saying they're the same thing (I never did), but both are germane to the discussion and it was not inappropriate for me to include both of them in my statement.)
Actually you did. But I'm willing to drop the mistake if you are.

Thanks for your response.

I was just about to go back and follow the same format we have been for this discussion, where we quote reply each section of the response and dissect what the other said, but I feel we've hijacked this thread for our personal argument and strayed from the discussion topic to one more centered around semantics. I'm not surprised the argument has taken this route; it's common when people take personally the fact that people disagree with their logic.

I will say that I did not intend to suggest that primordial soup and abiogenesis were interchangeable; if my statements using the two were unclear and led to your misinterpretation I apologize for not more explicitly using the terms. I do, however, fully believe that dissecting the usage of those words was not germane to the topic, which leads back to my first paragraph's statements above.

I will also have to defer to whomever edited the wiki about abiogenesis and photosynthesis being related. I did find the following on the same wiki, regarding photosynthesis and its relevance in creating living cells - it seems to point to photosynthesis as a method of providing energy to primitive cells:

The bubbles produced in these experiments were between 10 to 40 micrometers, or about the size of red blood cells. Remarkably, the bubbles fluoresced, or glowed, when exposed to UV light. Absorbing UV and converting it into visible light in this way was considered one possible way of providing energy to a primitive cell. If such bubbles played a role in the origin of life, the fluorescence could have been a precursor to primitive photosynthesis. Such fluorescence also provides the benefit of acting as a sunscreen, diffusing any damage that otherwise would be inflicted by T Tauri star UV radiation. Such a protective function would have been vital for life on the early Earth, since the ozone layer, which blocks out the sun's most destructive UV rays, did not form until after photosynthetic life began to produce oxygen
I'd also like to point out that I'm not asking you (or anyone else) to believe anything. I'm not writing a dissertation or attempting to convince the masses that my ideas on this subject are correct. IMO, based on everything I know on the topic (which is clearly limited), it's significantly more likely that life began on the surface and worked it's way down to a mile below the surface. I could be completely wrong and I fully recognize that, but I think based on what we currently know of abiogenesis and exogenesis, it's a fair assumption to make. If you want to argue that, it's fine, but you're going about it the wrong way. Instead of trying to attack my personal character/experience/knowledge, you should tell/educate/posit why it's at least equally likely that life first formed a mile below the surface as compared to on the surface. I am all ears to someone who is more qualified than I am that can help to educate me, as I find the topic interesting. However, instead of doing so, you've decided to attack my personal credibility, which I was never attempting to assert in the first place.

I haven't been on the boards all that long, but this is the 2nd discussion we've had where you've used this tactic. You (incorrectly) assumed that I believed I watched an HD clip embedded in a flash video of the Clone Wars trailer. You chose to discredit me by saying I googled HD and labeled myself an expert, which was far from the truth. I watched a 720p clip, not embedded in a flash video, and verified my assumption that 720p was considered HD using wikipedia. Then you changed your tactic to dissecting my words instead of my argument, and claimed that you had been talking about Full-HD and me S-HD the entire time. Isn't S-HD still HD? Isn't red Gatorade still Gatorade? Perhaps you don't mean to sound condescending when you type your posts, but, at least to me, you come across that way.

Perhaps you're not an expert on abiogenesis like you are on HD technology, but if you are, or even if you're not but you know more than me, please attack my statements by showing me how it is equally likely that life formed a mile below the surface as compared to on the surface. I'd love to learn. I personally believe that would be much more effective than attempting to belittle me by comparing me to biochemists that I never asserted myself as an equal to on the subject.

So, following this post, I will gladly continue this conversation if that's the method you take. If, however, you respond as you have been, I will simply abandon the discussion because it's too frustrating to continue an attempt at an involved discussion with someone who strays off-topic and spends more time attempting to discredit their opponent rather than discuss the topic at hand. That's partially my fault too, so don't think I'm blaming you entirely for the direction this conversation has taken. I responded to your off-topic points one by one, which I should have avoided in the first place to prevent the discussion from heading this way.

I will say that I did not intend to suggest that primordial soup and abiogenesis were interchangeable; if my statements using the two were unclear and led to your misinterpretation I apologize for not more explicitly using the terms.
Yes, the use of "or" is generally used to show that terms are interchangeable. Your use of "or" very much suggested that you were considering them to be interchangeable. Instead of acknowledging the mistake and allowing the dialog to continue, you've spent the last few exchanges attempting to deny that you did it. In the spirit of "better late than never" I acknowledge that you are now taking ownership of the mistake. No apology is necessary, however if it will make you feel better, please consider it accepted.

I do, however, fully believe that dissecting the usage of those words was not germane to the topic, which leads back to my first paragraph's statements above.
Not everyone that reads this thread is going to be able to spot what is based in fact and what is conjecture. Lest we inadvertently inform someone that "primordial soup" = abiogenesis, I felt that a correction on that point was necessary.

I did find the following on the same wiki, regarding photosynthesis and its relevance in creating living cells - it seems to point to photosynthesis as a method of providing energy to primitive cells

<snip>

Please make note of the qualifiers "if", "could", and "primative". Nothing here suggests that photosynthesis is a requirement, only that a primitive form of photosynthesis may have been present.

IMO, based on everything I know on the topic (which is clearly limited), it's significantly more likely that life began on the surface and worked it's way down to a mile below the surface.
And you could be correct. However because you still haven't told us why, I have no reason to think that this idea has any merit whatsoever. Using the earlier discussion, it's not only that xyz conditions have be present, but they have to be present in a specific place. Why?

I could be completely wrong and I fully recognize that, but I think based on what we currently know of abiogenesis and exogenesis, it's a fair assumption to make.
You mean "based on what you currently know".

If you want to argue that, it's fine, but you're going about it the wrong way. Instead of trying to attack my personal character/experience/knowledge...
I'm not attacking you. I'm questioning your arguments. Big difference.

...you should tell/educate/posit why it's at least equally likely that life first formed a mile below the surface as compared to on the surface.
I have. Repeatedly. Here it is again:

If the conditions necessary for the formation of life are present, then it is concievable that life can form there.

Your contention is that one of those conditions has to be "on the surface". Thus far, your rationale has been "because common sense says it should happen there". Hopefully you can understand why I do not find this persuasive.

However, instead of doing so, you've decided to attack my personal credibility, which I was never attempting to assert in the first place.
I'm sorry that you feel this has been happening.

I haven't been on the boards all that long, but this is the 2nd discussion we've had where you've used this tactic. You (incorrectly) assumed that I believed I watched an HD clip embedded in a flash video of the Clone Wars trailer. You chose to discredit me by saying I googled HD and labeled myself an expert, which was far from the truth. I watched a 720p clip, not embedded in a flash video, and verified my assumption that 720p was considered HD using wikipedia. Then you changed your tactic to dissecting my words instead of my argument, and claimed that you had been talking about Full-HD and me S-HD the entire time. Isn't S-HD still HD? Isn't red Gatorade still Gatorade? Perhaps you don't mean to sound condescending when you type your posts, but, at least to me, you come across that way.
I'm afraid you have me confused with someone else. Unless someone has hijacked my profile, I can assure you that I have not participated in any discussion re: a Clone Wars trailer, let alone one in which I attacked you.

Best of luck to you.

My goodness me, I do apologize for not being 100% knowledgeable on every aspect of miscroscopic biology. Deary deary me...
No need to be. It may have helped to read the article that was linked to in the first post before responding though. ;)

The newly-discovered life likely gets its energy from methane. It thrives in 111 million-year-old rocks, enduring temperatures between 140 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit (60 to 100 degrees Celsius). In this extreme environment, life is relatively sparse.

"There's no light around, there's no oxygen around," Parkes told LiveScience. "It's basically just rocks, but there is still some space for water, which the organisms need."

That life did not develop within the crust is more likely simply because life (at least that one we're talking about hewre) needs liquid water to exist. It probably took hundreds of millions of years before there was water actually staying on the surface, and according to some physical laws it surely took somewhat longer for the crust one mile beneath the surface to cool down to a level where it could actually keep liquid water (and thus was in a temperature range becoming suitable for organic macromolecules to exist) and enough water went down there to give abiogenesis a chance.

So, at the end of the day, it is highly likely that abiogenesis happened in some "pond" on Earth's surface, and not in it's crust. It's also not the most illogical train of thought to assume that life which developed at the surface was simply spilled down into the crust later.

Anyway, since the sky was rather cloudy back then, sunlight supposedly did not play a big role in the process.

That life did not develop within the crust is more likely simply because life (at least that one we're talking about hewre) needs liquid water to exist. It probably took hundreds of millions of years before there was water actually staying on the surface, and according to some physical laws it surely took somewhat longer for the crust one mile beneath the surface to cool down to a level where it could actually keep liquid water (and thus was in a temperature range becoming suitable for organic macromolecules to exist) and enough water went down there to give abiogenesis a chance.
Sure, but this assumes that abiogenesis would have taken place right about the same time that liquid water would have been present. Keep in mind that conservative estimates put approximately a billion years between when water was present and life appeared (doing this from memory so forgive me if my numbers are a little off).

So, at the end of the day, it is highly likely that abiogenesis happened in some "pond" on Earth's surface, and not in it's crust. It's also not the most illogical train of thought to assume that life which developed at the surface was simply spilled down into the crust later.
The fun thing for me is that the whole point of this article is that modern scientific discoveries are forcing us to reconsider our assumptions about the conditions necessary for life. Despite the findings, we're still insisting they must be like what we've always thought they've been :)

Anyway, since the sky was rather cloudy back then, sunlight supposedly did not play a big role in the process.
Indeed. Good hearing from you Mr. Jones :D

Sure, but this assumes that abiogenesis would have taken place right about the same time that liquid water would have been present. Keep in mind that conservative estimates put approximately a billion years between when water was present and life appeared.
While I cannot say for sure I think these numbers refer to the presence of liquid water on the surface. I'd argue that volcanic activities and high temperatures in the crust worked against the presence of liquid water one mile below surface for quite some hundred million years more.

Following that, the bottom line of your argumentation would be that abiogenesis did not happen all those hundreds of millions of years we had liquid water on the surface, but as soon as the water ran into the ground and reached deeper regions of Earth's crust abiogenesis happened down there in that very moment, and then life dug its way up to the surface in like another million years where it then took advantage of the stable and comfortable habitats provided by already present oceans, which were infertile and unable to create life themselves?

Hm.

Possible. But thiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnn ice.

The fun thing for me is that the whole point of this article is that modern scientific discoveries are forcing us to reconsider our assumptions about the conditions necessary for life. Despite the findings, we're still insisting they must be like what we've always thought they've been :)
Hey, I'm all for reconsidering assumptions, however, current ideas do not contradict life-in-the-crust, so there's no explicit need to throw them off the ship.

While I cannot say for sure I think these numbers refer to the presence of liquid water on the surface. I'd argue that volcanic activities and high temperatures in the crust worked against the presence of liquid water one mile below surface for quite some hundred million years more.
The scientist quoted in the article seemed to think that liquid water was capable of making its way down there now, so assuming that's the case, I don't see how we can rule it out in the past.

And sure, let's assume that the conditions were not condusive to a mile beneath the surface. How about half a mile? Several hundred feet? A few feet?

Following that, the bottom line of your argumentation would be that abiogenesis did not happen all those hundreds of millions of years we had liquid water on the surface, but as soon as the water ran into the ground and reached deeper regions of Earth's crust abiogenesis happened down there in that very moment, and then life dug its way up to the surface in like another million years where it then took advantage of the stable and comfortable habitats provided by already present oceans, which where infertile and unable to create life themselves?
Not so much. Only that it seems conceivable that basic life (miscellaneous single-cell organisms, etc) could have formed deep with in the earth's crust, been pushed up to the surface via seismic activity (did you know that they've found whale fossils in the Andes?) where it was able/forced to evolve into life as we know it today. Maybe your assumption that conditions were "stable and comfortable" isn't correct (again, going back to having to rethink what "stable and comfortable" means in the first place).

Current observations already favor hypothesis which state that the early stages of abiogenesis took place in clay (not "on clay" or "near clay" but "in clay"), so I'm not seeing this as such a huge leap.

And yes, I'm perfectly willing to accept that abiogenesis took place at or near the surface. I really don't have any problem with that whatsoever. However I am trying to point out that discoveries such as these mean that we no longer have to limit our thinking to the surface.

Hey, I'm all for reconsidering assumptions, however, current ideas do not contradict life-in-the-crust, so there's no explicit need to throw them off the ship.
I agree :D

I'm not suggesting that the current hypothesis need to be dismissed. I'm not even arguing that you (or Gurges-Ahter) are wrong. Just kinda gently tapping the screen and saying "Hey guys, this thing right here *tink-tink-tink*...might not want to put all your eggs in that basket anymore"

The scientist quoted in the article seemed to think that liquid water was capable of making its way down there now, so assuming that's the case, I don't see how we can rule it out in the past.
Not sure how you would want to make liquid water flow into and between several hundred °C hot stones? While it may now be below 100°C at 1 mile depth, it surely wasn't 3,000 million years ago.

And sure, let's assume that the conditions were not condusive to a mile beneath the surface. How about half a mile? Several hundred feet? A few feet?
I think it really depends on the area you're looking at. Pretty sure is only that we had no seas and oceans for a very long time on the surface due to its temperature. So far I'd assume that the higher you go towards the surface, the better are chances to meet the right conditions (back then, of course).

Not so much. Only that it seems conceivable that basic life (miscellaneous single-cell organisms, etc) could have formed deep with in the earth's crust, been pushed up to the surface via seismic activity (did you know that they've found whale fossils in the Andes?) where it was able/forced to evolve into life as we know it today.[/Quote]I think there's a big difference between tectonic processes raising ocean floor (read surface) over million years killing off slow swimming whales and seismic/volcanic activities blurping up hot stones and magma from within the crust.

Maybe your assumption that conditions were "stable and comfortable" isn't correct (again, going back to having to rethink what "stable and comfortable" means in the first place).
Please do not forget that organic macromolecules, the base for all life as we know it, are not stable enough at higher temperatures, and as far as I know not above 100°C anyway.

Current observations already favor hypothesis which state that the early stages of abiogenesis took place in clay (not "on clay" or "near clay" but "in clay"), so I'm not seeing this as such a huge leap.
I'd even argue that a certain muddyness is/was necessary, and the fluidity of a water-only environment would have worked against the development of life-molecules. So, mud, yes, in clay, yes. And while one can argue that's already in-crust,.. well...no.

And yes, I'm perfectly willing to accept that abiogenesis took place at or near the surface. I really don't have any problem with that whatsoever. However I am trying to point out that discoveries such as these mean that we no longer have to limit our thinking to the surface.
I never did that anyway.

So far I'd assume that the higher you go towards the surface, the better are chances to meet the right conditions (back then, of course).
And those "right conditions" are...? Remember the entire point here is that we're having to rethink what that term means now.

I think there's a big difference between tectonic processes raising ocean floor (read surface) over million years killing off slow swimming whales and seismic/volcanic activities blurping up hot stones and magma from within the crust.
I would agree, seeing as they are different things :)

I'm not arguing that they took the expressway up on a lava flow, so I'm not sure what your point is :D

Please do not forget that organic macromolecules, the base for all life as we know it, are not stable enough at higher temperatures, and as far as I know not above 100°C anyway.
I'll quote the article one more time:

The newly-discovered life likely gets its energy from methane. It thrives in 111 million-year-old rocks, enduring temperatures between 140 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit (60 to 100 degrees Celsius). In this extreme environment, life is relatively sparse.
Emphasis added.

It appears that your "higher temperatures" argument is at odds with the discovery, however your "above 100°C anyway" qualifier seems safe enough for now. :)

And those "right conditions" are...? Remember the entire point here is that we're having to rethink what that term means now.
What the right conditions are is another question. However, two pretty sure conditions are right temperature, below a significant mark and liquid water (additionally setting a range of temperature). Going up young Earth's crust we can easily observe a definite trend of temperature and water supply, thus, regardless of any other conditions, chances to meet the right conditions increase with decreasing depth.

I'm not arguing that they took the expressway up on a lava flow, so I'm not sure what your point is
The point is, I'm not sure what your point was.

It appears that your "higher temperatures" argument is at odds with the discovery, however your "above 100°C anyway" qualifier seems safe enough for now.
Once more you ignore the fact that 3,000 million years ago, the whole planet's temperature was way higher, including the crust. Almost impossible to find a spot within it at deeper depths having only 100 °C when the surface hardly allows water to stay on it.

What the right conditions are is another question. However, two pretty sure conditions are right temperature, below a significant mark and liquid water (additionally setting a range of temperature). Going up young Earth's crust we can easily observe a definite trend of temperature and water supply, thus, regardless of any other conditions, chances to meet the right conditions increase with decreasing depth.
Sure.

The point is, I'm not sure what your point was.
:D

Only that lots of things started out buried and ended up not buried over time.

Once more you ignore the fact that 3,000 million years ago, the whole planet's temperature was way higher, including the crust. Almost impossible to find a spot within it at deeper depths having only 100 °C when the surface hardly allows water to stay on it.
Which part of your point do you feel that I am missing?

That the earth was once hotter? I haven't contested that.

Only that lots of things started out buried and ended up not buried over time.
I already granted the possibility that life might have originated some way down in the ground. But rather significantly higher than a mile deep.

Which part of your point do you feel that I am missing?

That the earth was once hotter?

Yap. Especially one mile down the crust.

I haven't contested that.
Sure, you have not contested that. :dozey:

Hee, you know what, for some strange reason I'd be somewhat excited about possible arguments one might have there, supporting the idea that Earth was in fact cooler back then or at least that it's temperature is now about the same as it was when life originated... :~~~

I already granted the possibility that life might have originated some way down in the ground. But rather significantly higher than a mile deep.
We're probably good then. Remember my whole thing why trying to figure out why Gurges-Ahter felt it had to happen at the surface.

Yap. Especially one mile down the crust.
I'm not. I hope that helps you feel better about our conversation :)

Sure, you have not contested that. :dozey:
Should I have?

Hee, you know what, for some strange reason I'd be somewhat excited about possible arguments one might have there, supporting the idea that Earth was in fact cooler back then or at least that it's temperature is now about the same as it was when life originated... :~~~
Given the prevalence of methane, I doubt it. Absence of frozen water at the poles reflecting UV back out into space also makes that one difficult.

I'm not.
Cool. Means we could basically safely conclude that in that time life has not developed at depths of one mile or even only half a mile etc, simply because it was too hot there back then, and it must have crept all the way down there from above. That this 'above' might be knee deep within the sediment or some kind of mudflat is another question.

Should I have?
Nah. What for? :D

Cool. Means we could basically safely conclude that in that time life has not developed at depths of one mile or even only half a mile etc, simply because it was too hot there back then, and it must have crept all the way down there from above. That this 'above' might be knee deep within the sediment or some kind of mudflat is another question.
Don't know that I'd go that far. :)

If you could provide models of earth's crust from 3 billion years ago that accurately show mean temperature by depth, then I think we could begin ruling this out or that out intelligently.

Am I willing to share your assumption that depths of one mile were mostly likely way too hot back then? Yes. Am I willing to share your assumption that this automatically means that abiogenesis took place at the surface? No, not really. Does this mean that I've automatically ruled out that it did happen at the surface? Certainly not.

If you could provide models of earth's crust from 3 billion years ago that accurately show mean temperature by depth, then I think we could begin ruling this out or that out intelligently.
Try fission-track thermochronology:

link 1

link 2

Further material:

link 1

link 2

Moar intarsting reeds:

link 1

link 2

link 3

Am I willing to share your assumption that depths of one mile were mostly likely way too hot back then? Yes.
Then why adhere to the deep crust abiogenesis?

Am I willing to share your assumption that this automatically means that abiogenesis took place at the surface? No, not really.
I've not made such an assumption. I did not even say that life arose at the surface.

Link

Much of the seafloor long thought to be barren is instead teeming with microbes, researchers said today.

Scientists now have found "thousands of times more bacteria on the seafloor than in the water above," according to a statement. The findings were made at two sites, suggesting that rich microbial life extends across the ocean floor, said University of Southern California geomicrobiologist Katrina J. Edwards.

These results, along with a separate discovery announced last week of life a mile below the seafloor, have scientists wondering if life on Earth began along shorelines or perhaps originated in the planet's marine belly.

Skipping ahead:

The research supports the idea that some bacteria survive on energy from the crust, a process that could affect knowledge about the deep-sea carbon cycle and even the evolution of early life.

For example, many scientists think shallow water, not deep water, cradled the planet's first life. They reason that the dark carbon-poor depths appear to offer little energy, and rich environments like hydrothermal vents are relatively sparse. But the newfound abundance of seafloor microbes makes it theoretically possible that early life thrived-and maybe even began-on the seafloor.

"Some might even favor the deep ocean for the emergence of life since it was a bastion of stability compared with the surface, which was constantly being blasted by comets and other objects," Edwards said.

The hydrothermal vent communities at the mid-ocean ridges have gotten the lion's share of press when it comes to life on the deep ocean floor but there is another environment that provides the chemical nutrients to sustain a non-photosynthesis-based form of life. These are the cold seeps and related environments, where oil and methane gas are bubbling up from undersea sediment layers.

Cold Methane Environments on the Ocean Floor

Surviving in Space

In November, 1969, the Surveyor 3 spacecraft's microorganisms were recovered from inside its camera that was brought back to Earth under sterile conditions by the Apollo 12 crew. The 50-100 organisms survived launch, space vacuum, 3 years of radiation exposure, deep-freeze at an average temperature of only 20 degrees above absolute zero, and no nutrient, water or energy source.

or

Too Bizarre for Words (Bizarro-philes?)

Microbes that live in a bath of sulfuric acid which is produced as an intermediate product of their own metabolism.

Other Extreme Earth Life

Archived