Home

Roleplaying?

I have had this in my mind for ages, and I think that OJP would be perfect for roleplaying.

Why?

Many roleplay servers have (or had) a taboo on combat. Because of the easy 1 2 hit kill slicing, meaning bye bye "character".

A more elaborate combat system like OJP however, allows for much more intensive battles (I would call them more intensive than run and slice and poke for your life basejka style lolz).

That and the fact that opponents can get disarmed or knocked down when they have a low amount of DP or high amount of mishap, allows for more combat without having to kill someone, or even to the extent of not even hurting someone.

This could in turn allow for more active roleplaying than the regular "Role-played chatroom", and even more realistic, as any "sparring duel" with your Apprentice could take place anytime, anywhere, and would not require slashing around like a mad man.

That, and they can be stopped after the teacher acknowledges your skill by getting knocked down.

Even more: the whole style system allows for more roleplaying in the combat sector, as of course, you have to ''train'' yourself to be able to use those styles.

LET THE RP COMBAT TABOO BE OBLITERATED!

So, what are your opinions about OJP as a potential roleplay mod?

I think people have already begun using OJP for RP. It's not exactly what OJP was intended for, but if RPers like it, they're free to use it for that purpose. I doubt there'll be developer interest in creating more RP-specific features (i.e. emotes), but that's something that someone can add as a modification to OJP if they want to. OJP development usually has new or improved features geared more for purpose of FFA/TFFA/CTF than anything else.

Well, I've seen many RP servers that use JA+.

However the only reason they use JA+ is for.. well. moderating the server.

The emotes barely get used, and people (most of the time) just stand there and chatter away.

Basically it's baseJKA with more security.

And since they only use baseJKA & Chat, OJP would be a nice addition, the only thing that would be lacking then is moderating options.

I've seen ONE OJP RP server in my whole life lol, of some guy that sucked at rp-ing, and the server kept crashing as well.

I'd figure that if more people use it there would at least be a few RP servers online.

Haha, well, at one point I think I saw 3 active RP servers, probably back in March-April.

Well the neat thing about the combat system (at least saber system) is that you can sort of tell when a person is almost dead. Saber marks start showing up, saber clash sounds are different, and if you riposte them they enter heavy bounce (saber stuck out like Anakin's before Dooku amputated his arm). That means you can go all out and just hold back at the last minute so the poor sap doesn't bite the dust. Don't even need to tweak DP/FP regen rate for that, just knowledge of the telltale signs.

What? You're supposed to be beating up the other guy anyway xd

It's not that hard to tell if someone's almost dead, really. Two main ways are saber marks on the body and saber clash sounds like you're burning through something. The riposte thing is a cool way of finishing off the opponent - you can kick him down, disarm him if you hit the saber blade, or just keel him good with one more hit.

Watch two vets fight, it gets pretty cinematic sometimes...and long :)

Archived