Home

Machine Art

90SK

Hellooo... I'm not sure if this is the right place for a shameless plug... if it isn't feel free to move the thread to the appropriate place. I mean, I'd prefer it stay in Ahto so mah buds can see it, but either way.

So anyway, I've been meaning to make a thread about this, and now that we have personal little photo galleries for our usernames there's really no excuse.

I've been perfecting an art style for a while now (the better part of my life life :D), and it's culminated in a growing number of pieces that I'm now putting on display wherever I can (I wasn't, before, but I'm having a showing soon and so I thought I might as well get feedback from my various social networking sites... hehe).

Anyway, I've uploaded previews of the drawings I've done along with their names and the definitions to my gallery, which can be found here: http://www.lucasforums.com/album.php?albumid=94

Each drawing has been done by hand, then scanned and colored using GIMP 1.2

I'm curious if you fellas have any suggestions or comments, because I desperately need feedback and advice on how to proceed with marketing my artwork. I do not intend on making this my life, but me casually selling prints for $10 a pop kinda short changes the whole thing too since I devote a lot of time to these.

Anyway, yeah. Thoughts?

Oh, and here's a full version of one, just so you can get a good idea of what they look like:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
solagratiathumbzo6.jpg

Wow, that is pretty good! Very colorful. :D

No, I don't think that this is the right spot though. It should go in CEC. Ask a mod to move it or something. ;)

Anyways, that is some cool stuff there! Good job! :thumbsup:

I've been using GIMP 1.2 since 2004, when I was 12. I basically taught myself how to use it, it's one of the few impressive feats I can own. Never looked at a tutorial. Though the downside of that is that now I can only really use GIMP 1.2, because 2.4 and other photo editing utilities are way different. I probably will have to relearn a lot of stuff if I ever want to upgrade... which is a fast approaching reality since 1.2 is way unstable.

The drawing at the top of the page is the latest one I did: it's also the most colorful, I rendered plasma in GIMP and then left it instead of making it one color, so it's still a rainbow. I think it looks lovely, but I won't be using the rainbow scheme again, just to avoid redundancy.

Here's a picture of the next drawing I'll be doing, I'm doing it right now, it's like right next to me.

Show spoiler
img0252fd4.jpg

I use a precise V5 pen for the small details, a "copic" multi liner 0.5 pigment ink pen (I dunno, that's just the info off the side of the pen) for the primary lines, and what appears to be a fabric pen of relatively high thickness for the thicker lines. I also use a ruler... no, it's not cheating, I have a problem with shaky hands so the ruler is a necessity.

Thank you! It may look daunting... it's pretty tedious, but I wouldn't say it's hard. I mean, I guess it's easy enough for me at least, I can't speak for others.

I just finished the one that I posted the picture of in its unfinished form above. Check it out:

Show spoiler
effigythumbzp5.jpg

That should give a sense of what I do to them in GIMP, basically adding color and depth. If any of you have questions regarding my method, feel free to ask. Any feedback is welcome too! :)

Archived