Home

Quality Without 3D Acceleration

ceej2k

I want to run the game with the best quality, however, full screen at 640x480 doesn't look so nice in my monitor. I like windowed mode better, but it doesn't support 3D acceleration. Does anyone notice any difference in quality between software and 3D acceleration? What am I losing by using windowed mode?

Thanks! Anyway, I've found a workaround to suit my taste. I decreased the vertical and horizontal settings on my monitor to the minimum settings to make it look more fine. Luckily, the monitor stores this setting for 640x480 without altering the settings of my normal 1024x768 desktop resolution.

Just noticed another issue though. When I used 3D Hardware Acceleration instead of Software, the character movements are unusually very choppy. It should be smooth on my GeForce 7 Series AGP card on a Pentium 4 using Windows 2000. There's no anomaly on the 3D accelerated graphics. Just a choppy frame rate, but works okay on Software.

Any ideas?

My RAM's around 768MB, and VRAM's 512MB. No unnecessary programs running in the background, and newer games that require a bigger memory would have a better frame rate. Enabling compatibility mode didn't speed things up also. Enabling 3D acceleration should make the frame rate faster than software mode, but this is not the case.

The game was relatively choppy when I played using my GeForce 6 a few years ago too, particularly in scenes with lots of models/characters. I think it's unfortunately just the state of driver compatibility with the game nowadays.

Someone mentioned a Glide wrapper on the sticky about anti-aliasing. It emulates the 3dfx Voodoo graphics that the game was designed for. I'm considering trying zeckensack's Glide wrapper found on the Net.

Has anyone tried this?

Archived