Home

HK-47's Eyes

Ascendant_Justice

As far as I'm aware, HK's eyes have always had an orange glow that flickers when he talks. This is my first playthrough on a pc copy of KotOR, and I just got to Yuka Laka's droid shop. Upon seeing HK-47, I discovered there was no glow in his eyes. As a matter of fact, they were completely blank, like they were shut off. HK looks, well, dead without the eye glow. I have no idea why this is happening. I need to know how to fix this. I can't listen to Sand People translations from a dead-looking HK. Please help.

Here are some of my system specs as taken from KotOR's hardware scan All of the recommended system requirements for this game are met or exceeded by my pc. I'm only posting specs I think may be relevant. If you need more, just ask:

Windows XP version 5.1 build 2600 service pack 2

Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz

512 MB RAM (only spec that doesn't exceed recommended)

ATI Radeon 9250, 256 MB

DirectX [9.0+] [4.09.00.0904] (fully up to date as far as I know? Definitely above the ?9.0b? that the game comes with.

Image for your reference:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6875/hk47probtd0.jpg

I don't know if this feature is exclusive to the Xbox version, but, when I entered first person view on the Xbox, HK's vision would be red. However now, on the pc, it's just normally colored. Is this a problem too? It's not going to bug me at all, I'm just curious. I'm much more concerned about his eyes.

I have no mods that directly affect HK in any way, as far as I know. I do, however, have many mods installed, about three or four of which modify the appearance.2da file. Even so, I'm not sure why something so specific as HK's eyes would be affected by them. Just in case, I'll list my mods that are installed:

Bastila Romance Enhancement

Bastila's Extra Dialog on Tatooine

Black Vulkar Nikto Reskins

Calo Nord Reskin

Carth Republic Uniform (plus)

Darth Malak Eyes Reskinned

Ebon Hawk Usable Supplies

Garrum and Tar'eelok Restoration

Helena-Bastila's Mother Changes

I Want to be a Jedi

Jedi Robe Model Mod

Korriban Crystal Cave

Korriban Workbench

Realistic Visual Effects (1.1 I think)

Robes for Korriban Sith Students

Male Head Pack (2.0 I think)

Sharina Fizark Restoration

Sherruk-Attacks with Lightsabers (...my god.)

Star Forge Revan's Robes

Taris Lower City Restoration

Turn T3 Into a Workbench

Yuthura Ban Reskin

Easy Swoop Racing

Thus far, I have seen no notable conflicting between all these mods. Most of them are enhancements and restorations, not game changes modifications. I used KMM to install the majority of them and I will deactivate those ones to see if it changes anything. I am reluctant to manually deactivate mods that aren't on my KMM, though, especially the few that edit the appearance.2da file.

UPDATE: Deactivating all my KMM mods seem to resolve nothing. Tinkering with my graphics settings also seem to resolve nothing.

Mods installed using KMM:

Korriban Academy Workbench

Bastila's Extra Dialog on Tatooine

Black Vulkar Nikto Reskins

Calo Nord Reskin

Darth Malak Eyes Reskinned

Easy Swoop Racing

Ebon Hawk Usable Supplies

Helena-Bastila's Mother Changes

I Want to be a Jedi

Jedi Robe Model Mod

Korriban Crystal Cave

Realistic Visual Effects

Sherruk-Attacks with Lightsabers

Taris Lower City Restoration

Turn T3 into a Workbench

Yuthura Ban Reskin

And, I THINK, Bastila Romance Enhancement and Garrum and Tar'eelok Restoration

I say "I THINK" because two of the mods in my KMM are not properly named (they're named "To Override" and "Modules"). I'm 90% those two are, indeed, BRE and Gar/eelok, though as both of those have files named the aforementioned names.

If that is correct, the only mods I don't have installed on my KMM are:

Carth Republic Uniform

Robes for Korriban Sith Students

Male Head Pack

Sharina Fizark Restoration

Star Forge Revan's Robes

END UPDATE

• 2 months later...

In my recent playthrough I had some texture-related problems too

1. Same as you, HK had 'empty' eyes

2. Zaalbars Texture didn't seem to fit at his wrists and ankles

3. Asian male head #5 had 'hair-problems'

And guess what, I fixed all of them by extracting the texture-in-question via Kotor Tool and put them in the override, and the problems where gone.

Hope this was helpfull.

And guess what, I fixed all of them by extracting the texture-in-question via Kotor Tool and put them in the override, and the problems where gone.

Hope this was helpfull.

This method seems sound. I'd definitely give it a whirl. I can't think what would screw it up. The only things I can think of that would REMOTELY even touch HK's texture is male head pack. But that probably won't even effect it.

I guess it has something to do with his (and mine) ATI-chips. Seems like they have problems interacting with the packed textures somehow.

In fact the HK-eye-problem was there ever since I bought my current card.

But the method I posted is really easy to realise, and it worked perfectly.

• 1 year later...

Hope this was helpfull.

What is "Texture-in-Question"? I didn't find anything like that in Kotor tools can you please guide me through this? as I have the same problem.

The texture in question isn't an actual item or file.

Let's say you wanted male Asian head #5 head probably going to be a tga file, you would use the KotORTool to find that file and then load it into the override folder.

Soooo... how do I fix the HK eyes, because I don't really know that much about kotor tool >.>.

also um I seem to be having problems with my frame buffer effects on both Kotor and Kotor 2

• 2 weeks later...
Soooo... how do I fix the HK eyes, because I don't really know that much about kotor tool >.>.

also um I seem to be having problems with my frame buffer effects on both Kotor and Kotor 2

There. That is your problem.

I have run both KOTOR and TSL on my old Dell Latitude D600 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics chipset, and Frame Buffer Effects couldn't be enabled. It seems the card isn't designed for it, so Bioware and Obsidian won't even let you turn it on in-game. So along with HK's photoreceptors not glowing, my stealth field would look like a funky forcefield, and Force Speed wouldn't look stretched out and warped (not a problem for me).

I managed to get some of the Frame Buffer Effects to show up by going into swkotor.ini and enabling them manually. See if that works for you.

Archived