Home

Help please: Sanity check failed

Achilles

A long time ago, I made less-than-eloquent attempt to correct the discolored Twi'leks in TSL by darkening the skins (via the burn tool, IIRC) to match the heads. For the most part it works, however I thought I might have better luck if I simply went in and fixed the diffusion on the head model itself.

That part (I think) I've got down ok. The problem is that I get a sanity check failure on export and if I try to test the head anyway...I get creepy results (heads not attached to bodies anymore, etc).

Also tried this in gmax however no file is produced on export.

3dsmax 7.0 will produce a file (with aforementioned errors) which I can push through mdlops, but doesn't give me acceptable results.

Do any veteran modelers have any ideas or should I just go back to my tweaked textures and learn to be happy?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Achilles ;) What version of nwmax are you using ? I stuck with nwmax7 version 8 had extra checks in the sanity and often caused trouble on export. With gmax did you start the application from the nwmax [green and black icon] ;) if not it won't export anything if the nw snoops not running.

Also I'm not sure of taina's replacer will save diffusion tone edits or only vert cords. I recently tried to edit a head swapped materials on one eye of the mesh then exported it but the texture edit didn't take on the new model. I didn't play around with her replacer too much though I just adjusted some verts on 2 heads for TSL. And this recent test, but Maybe someone else who has spent more time with her replacer can confirm if it ignores any material changes or not.

Hey Achilles ;) What version of nwmax are you using ? I stuck with nwmax7 version 8 had extra checks in the sanity and often caused trouble on export.
I had 8, but I reinstalled 7 and tried again.

No more sanity check failures on export, however the game crashes when loading a module where the heads are present.

With gmax did you start the application from the nwmax [green and black icon] ;) if not it won't export anything if the nw snoops not running.
I wasn't, but then I tried that. Sure enough, the model exports now, however I have the same problem with the gmax-processed model as I do with the 3dsmax-processed model (crash). :(

I'm testing in a clean override folder using ChAiNz.2da save archive.

Is there something else I'm not thinking of? Thanks for your reply. :)

Hey man no problem, how did you compile the heads ?

Mdlops will kill all animations on heads at least it used to I haven't tried 0.6 alpha4 with any heads yet, plus I would have to re-extract the binary model from KT with animations on and start over.

Taina's replacer is the only tool to use to compile heads with, even using renamer function in mdlops kills animations

The odd thing is when I was playing TSL I discover that one handed Kreia P_Kreia1hBB had that nasty pea soup diffusion tone and I'm 99.9% sure I just used to mdlops to recompile the edited model like any other skin mesh body model but her head is part of the model so it's puzzling since it retained it's animations?

Maybe we could treat heads like bodies in mdlops having both original binary models in the same folder when compiling ? I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. I think I already did try that I don't remember fully but I recall flex mesh was badly distorted, or lost it's felx properties. So when Taina's replacer came out it solved that flex problem.

Good luck post any updates. Sorry my memory is sort of foggy this morning.

svösh

I followed the steps in your tutorial :)

I renamed the exported file twilek_f-z.mdl then browsed to it in mdlops and hit Read and write model (with both the exported model and extracted original model in the same directory).

The animations appeared to work fine (head still bobbed, turned and nodded. Dancers still swayed with their eyes closed, etc), they just weren't connected anymore. Standing twileks had their chins resting on their shoulders. Sitting twileks had their head behind them, facing their lower back.

I could try again with Taina's Replacer, but didn't you mention above that it won't affect diffusion?

Is there another set of instructions I should try? Thanks again!

PS: Did anyone else have a fix for this? Was everyone using mine, or did a lot of people just opt to ignore it?

I simply darkened the body skin color, using "levels" and "selective color" in PS. I also "extended" her clothing to cover the neck area because I could never get it to look perfect under all lighting conditions (K1 also has this problem).

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
twilek.jpg

As you can see, it looks fine. I thought the the default texture was too bright anyway, so I never bothered with the head model.

Achilles, try doing a "dry run" I used to do this a lot when I modeled and I came across errors. Simply import the head model don't change anything and export, recompile and stick it back in the game see if anything weird happens. If nothing bad happens, try changing something simple and repeat, and keep going until you run into your problem.

Granted I'm not as knowledgeable about the technological things that go behind modeling so this was my "noob" way of troubleshooting problems. I'd start with my complete/broken model and I usually had max scenes saved at key intervals, so I'd just load a previous scene until I came across what fixed the problem.

As far as head models go, I do remember them being tricky, the one head model edit I did, I started out with several changes and I remember having to scale back my changes to get something that worked, but I wasn't completely satisfied with. Best of luck.

-Mav

I simply darkened the body skin color, using "levels" and "selective color" in PS. I also "extended" her clothing to cover the neck area because I could never get it to look perfect under all lighting conditions (K1 also has this problem).

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
twilek.jpg

As you can see, it looks fine. I thought the the default texture was too bright anyway, so I never bothered with the head model.

That's the same thing I did, however you had better luck with that texture than I did. Mind sending it to me? I'll PM you my email addy if you agree.

EDIT: Ah, I notice you darkened to outfit also. :)

That's the same thing I did, however you had better luck with that texture than I did. Mind sending it to me? I'll PM you my email addy if you agree.

Yeah, no problem.

EDIT: Ah, I notice you darkened to outfit also. :)

I did. If I wouldn't, it would look too bright compared to the skin. I also increased the texture resolution to 512x512 (from 256x256), and made some corrections to the texture. The results have been most pleasing, I must say. :D

Archived