Home

Real-Time Skin Preview

Xbx_Inthusiast

Please don't link me to Svosh's post here:

I'm wondering if there's a more... simplified version. Reading that, it's no where near fool proof nor is it helpful for beginners.

Not to say I'm necessarily a beginner, but I'm a qualified skinner, and I want to actually see how my skins work out without having to deal with reopening TSL every 25+ seconds just to see where gloves are, or how exactly a splotch of color turns out real-time.

I'm wondering if someone out there could lend me a helping hand, or help me learn how to extract the correct models for the correct textures for each correct item.

Light Battle Armor- "X.uti" "X.mdl"- "X.tpc"

And how exactly you need to go about to start it.

I downloaded Mdlops, but I don't know where to put it (Svosh said the KT/dir.) What? The Kotor Tool folder? Or "Program files" where "Kotor Tool" is?

What models do you use to see something in real time?

[i remember when I modded for Jedi Academy, that there was a program called "Modview" that you can use an extracted "Humanoid" (which had the basic skeleton for the humanoid models) and the character's "Folder" (contained UVMaps etc...). Is there something like that?]

Really, all I'm asking for is a step-by-step tutorial for beginners for what they need to download, how to bring up the model, what to extract, and how to make it work.

All the tools you need should be linked to in the various stickies in the modding forums. For simple real-time skin previewing I recommend gmax or another free modeling program. With this you can import the model and apply your texture in its raw format (PSD, for instance) and each time you save the texture you can see how it looks on the model.

I'm certain you can find the appropriate tutorials with a quick forum search. Trust me, there are plenty already available on these forums.

Inyri, I didn't really find your post informative.

I have Mdlops installed, I have Gmax, I have Kotor Tool, I have the needed plugins for gmax, I have all the tools.

All I need to know is how to extract and how to view a model in real time next to a texture file. (Every time it saves, it appears on the model)

I attempted to follow Svosh's tutorial, but it's impossible to follow because he/she doesn't explain anything- he/she only tells you to open and "meld" and do all these different things that I have no idea what he/she's talking about due to just starting with it.

I don't see how it's got to be so hard! I just want to drag a model into Gmax and edit in real time with PS and GMX side by side so I don't need to open up K2 every five seconds...

You need to use MDLOPs to make the .MDL into a anscii file. Heres a quick tutorial that should help you:

1) Go into KotOR Tool and double click on the .MDL file to extract it.

2) Import it into MDLOPs and click "Read and Write File"

this should produce a file that looks like this:

filename-anscii

3) Go into GMax and open up NWMax

4) Import the file using NWMax

The file should import with the texture already on it. Does that help?

I don't see how it's got to be so hard!
It's not.
I just want to drag a model into Gmax and edit in real time with PS and GMX side by side so I don't need to open up K2 every five seconds...
It doesn't work that way. I recommend learning how gmax works first. You could probably just open it up and read the help files (or, if you're a quick hands-on learner, open it up and notice how it works).

You import the model then apply the texture you want as a material. I apologize if that's 'not informative,' but that's how you do it.

I attempted to follow Svosh's tutorial, but it's impossible to follow because he/she doesn't explain anything- he/she only tells you to open and "meld" and do all these different things that I have no idea what he/she's talking about due to just starting with it.
Svosh's tutorial probably assumes you helped yourself out by learning something about your software before you decided to jump in. I'm fairly certain he didn't write it for fresh never-used-gmax users.

If you want to know how to use gmax, get a tutorial about gmax and its basics. You're not going to find a step-by-step 'how to use gmax' mini-tutorial in a modding tutorial because it's a waste of a modders time. There are already plenty of resources for what you want.

Inyri, I didn't really find your post informative.

I have Mdlops installed, I have Gmax, I have Kotor Tool, I have the needed plugins for gmax, I have all the tools.

All I need to know is how to extract and how to view a model in real time next to a texture file. (Every time it saves, it appears on the model)

I don't see how it's got to be so hard! I just want to drag a model into Gmax and edit in real time with PS and GMX side by side so I don't need to open up K2 every five seconds...

It may seem a bit complicated but try to follow this:

-Open Kotor Tool (very difficult :p)

-Head to the Aurora models section under models.bif

-Double click the name of the model of the skin you are editing (i.e. n_darthband)

-Double clicking it should export the model to a location on your computer

-Open the model in gmax by using NWxmax's MDL Loading section

-Open the skin in Photoshop (MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE TEXTURE THAT WAS EXPORTED WITH THE ASCII MODEL! It won't work if it isn't in that directory.)

-Edit away ;) You should see your changes occur when you save the skin as a .tga.

Please stop insulting me, I'm not an idiot.

He he... That will never happen. 100% Guarantee. Just comes with asking other Holowon members for help. Trust me, I know.

It would be helpful if you gave us a picture of what you meant by does not show up correctly.

He he... That will never happen. 100% Guarantee. Just comes with asking other Holowon members for help. Trust me, I know.
It's kind of rude to infer all the modders here are full of themselves, don't you think? People ask for help. If they get insulted by that help there's very little we can do to prevent it (other than refusing to help people anymore -- would that be a better option?).

^^

Inyri, I 110% agree with you, that was a rather rude generality. If I may re-state that, a more correct term, is that if you ask for help, you need to be prepared to face frank remarks, which you may find insulting. For example, when asking the question "How do I .2da Edit," you may be answered "Um... why didn't you just check the tutorial section, it kinda obvious." You could decipher the answer as "Dude, your an idiot, it's in the tutorial section." This is a problem that many people face, and could be resolved by adding more smiles into your responses, as was stated by Emperor Devon, if I remember correctly. I'm sorry, was that too long?

Archived