Home

Help w/shaders

Darth Essence

Hello, I have a problem with them shaders, as you might have understood by the title. I made a saber, I made saber_spec and saber_glow *.tga's copied the original saber shader in weapons.shader, but nothing happens. In game @ saber choose menu you can see how nicely the original sabers reflect the light as they spin, but my saber looks plain, looks like nothing. What should I do? I have never worked with shaders and I have a pretty smaal knowledge and understandig of them. Perhaps the _spec and _glow maps have to be made in a specific way with special settings or smthn? .. Help ?!

Usually you just pick a shader type that you like and change the path within the .shader file. Usually i'd copy paste the code that i need into a new file and change paths and filenames. In some cases you'll need specular maps that are relevant to your model (meaning you have to create them specifically for each model).

Of course it all depends on the look you are trying to achieve. Often times we'd use a simple reflective shader by pluging a reflection map from the game, to simulate a bit of reflection from the surface.

Also it might help to see what you put into the .shader file.

Ok, so basically I got this:

//The shader//

models/weapons2/saber_10/saber_10

{

{

map models/weapons2/saber_10/saber_10

rgbGen lightingDiffuse

}

{

map models/weapons2/saber_10/saber_10_spec

blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE

detail

alphaGen lightingSpecular

}

}

//The Diffuse map//

24-bit TGA

saber_10.jpg

//The Specular map//

24-bit TGA

saber_10_spec.jpg

--------------------------

The map has been asigned to specular map at 100% in the model before exporting to md3 (3DS Max 4.2).

I want to make it so that the metal parts reflect the light when they spin in the saber selection menu, as the original sabers do.

No errors in game showed up

ShaderEd shows ap a nolightmap error, but original sabers have it too.

I checked No Lightmap flag, but nothing changed.

ShaderEdit stinks!

Is there a possibility that it's a hardware failure of some kind, 'cause sometimes it just seems that my PC simply hates me - does everything except what I need it to do, etc.

not if your other sabers show up with the shaders on them! But looking at your shader there it look's good to me , the only thing that might be the trouble as far as I can see is the folder and the texture are the same name and maybe causing the shader to look at it wrong but I doubt that , , what I think it is , you have another saber with the same name as your file and the shader is looking there and not showing up on yours, the game shader is over taking your shader or something of that nature, try renaming yours and the shader and I'll bet that will solve your problem!

Archived