Home

Replacing a UV-Map

Ferc Kast

In GMax, I edit the uvw map (move the verticies around), then export like normal. With the replacer, I check some of the boxes in the right hand column to replace the coordinate values for those verticies. If you're asking how to make a completely new uvw map, I couldn't answer you.

okay. 1 question answered, but I have another related question.

Let's say I wanted to add the Mask and Google Hooks to a head model. The readme of the replacer states: "The amount vertex, texture vertex and polygons shouldn't change." So, would adding said hooks work properly?

okay. 1 question answered, but I have another related question.

Let's say I wanted to add the Mask and Google Hooks to a head model. The readme of the replacer states: "The amount vertex, texture vertex and polygons shouldn't change." So, would adding said hooks work properly?

Hmmm, I doubt it"ll work and even if it goes, it could very well be that the program ignores the hooks.

Its interesting to try out :p

But I don't see it working, as you add extra information which wasn't there.

I've tried adding Mask and Goggle hooks a number of different times, but no luck. That's not saying much, since I've only scratched the surface of modeling heads :xp:, and someone more experienced might make it work. This thread seems to be the best hope so far, but settoken hasn't updated in a while. Svosh gave it a try, and he seems to me the most likely candidate for advancing that theory.

Basically what I did was to take a NPC head (missing hooks) and in GMax I copied a helper and renamed it as a GoggleHook and another as a MaskHook. I then exported from GMax and tried to recompile using mdlops. If I use the resulting mdl & mdx, I get the floating head. So, I tried hex editing the mdl, but I'm fishing in the dark. I'm have no idea which values to copy from the original mdl, and settoken hasn't clarified. I've used HexCmp program to compare multiple mdls, but I still don't know how far down the hex mdl I need to go. Sometimes I'll import an ascii mdl into GMax and export it without any changes, and recompile with mdlops... just so I'll have something else to compare to the original. :headbump:migraine:

I'm still hoping that someone with more skill than I will figure it out (nudge, nudge Svosh). If you give it a try Ferc, and something clicks, please let me know. I'll never say that it is impossible, it's just beyond my current capabilities.

Redrob I think settoken uses mdlops 0.6.1 or 0.6.4 decompiles and imports with animations on. I normally don't so that could explain my no animations problem. I also normally use mdlops 0.5 on bodys so i used it on the head too. When I tried mdlops 0.6.1 i noticed a distinct change in the diffusion tone it was much darker on the head model in game [k1] compared to mdlops 0.5. Strange since they both came from the same exported ascii from max.

I haven't gone back to further my head testing but it's worth a shot. I tried to open s_female03 in max today but I think the old nwmax 0.7 is limited at importing the supermodel. It may not work with new heads either I'm not sure. I been using nwmax 0.7 for years and years now. Since 0.8 threw in an annoying sanity check false positive I just stuck with 0.7

I was hoping by bumping that thread on the new Zabraak head we would have gotten answers to the questions asked but no luck. Unfortunately I guess it's up to us all to try and piece together all the other info to make his method work.

For the missing hooks I'm not sure if Taina's replacer can be used for that.

Here they are in plain text from the ascii of the head I tested .

-------------------------------

node dummy MaskHook

parent head_g

position 0.000271845987299457 0.133970007300377 0.0300955008715391

orientation 0 0 0 0

wirecolor 1 1 1

specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

shininess 0.000000

endnode

node dummy GoggleHook

parent head_g

position 0.00027184298960492 0.126687005162239 0.0770682990550995

orientation 0 0 0 0

wirecolor 1 1 1

specular 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000

shininess 0.000000

endnode

-------------------------------

How to insert such a big chunk of data to the binary .mdl model would be quite tricky. My knowledge of hex edting is pretty limited.

It appears to start after the tvert data of the trimesh eyeRA and end before trimesh f_rlweye_g and of course it has to be converted from plain text to hexidecimal.

I doubt much of this will be too helpful really I'm just posting my findings.

svösh

Thanks Svosh, I saw how excited you were with the Zabrak thread, and that maybe you'd be able to find a solution. You might not have had any more success than I did, but you've explained it much more coherently than I did. I'm still so new to 3D modelling that I don't know much of the terminology.

And thanks Quanon, I know that SS and Setoken are both busy, but they are also quite talented with 3D. I'm sure that if we get enough brain power working on this, we'd be able to figure it out.

The ability to make new heads would be a HUGE accomplishment.

And thanks Quanon, I know that SS and Setoken are both busy, but they are also quite talented with 3D. I'm sure that if we get enough brain power working on this, we'd be able to figure it out.

The ability to make new heads would be a HUGE accomplishment.

Well I got a PM back from Settokon, he's occupied by work for his degree ( webdesign and motionpictures stuff). He hasn't forgotten about modding, but just hasn't have the time to look at it.

So I tried to poke him a bit to come and have look at his old threads of the Zabrak head and such.

Perhaps he'll drop some more info on our heads.

EDIT: I thought there was some info in the 3D social group, but I was wrong, just 20 pages of mindless blabla :lol:

About modding and life in general :lol:

Archived