Home

KOTOR 1+2: Vista Fix & Windows 7 Report

Astrotoy7

Hey all I'm new to these forums was just hoping if someone could help me with a problem with KOTOR 1+2 Ive already did the mss32.dll fix and i am using the widescreen hack i believe it to be, now when starting the game its all fine and i can get to the menu screen create a character and what not but when i click play game after character creation the screen just simply goes black but i can still hear everything that's going on but i cant do anything not even bring up task manager, my son is really drilling my head in to get the game to work so after googling i came across these forums and you all seem to no what your talking about, and just for the heads up i do use the actual cd's that came with the game, and my pc specs are:

mb: asus p5e

cpu: intel core 2 quad q6600 (overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3ghz)

ram: 6gig ram 800mhz

Soundcard: SupremeFX II Audio Card

Creative PCI-eXpress Sound Blaster

Graphics card: Gigabyte 2GB Radeon HD6970

Optical: 2 x Asus 22x DVD righter/burner

Power supply: 1000wat OCZ

Monitor: HP w2207h HDMI 22"

Headphones: Creative World of Warcraft Headset

Keyboard: Logitech g19

Mouse: SteelSeries Cataclysm MMO Gaming Mouse

might be to much but yeah if anyone could help me would be much appreciated thanks

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey. :)

1) Did you install the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread?

2) I see that you're sporting the latest model of AMD graphics card, and a very nice one at that. Unfortunately, AMD's legacy GL support is horrible The newer your card, the less likely it will be that the game will run on it. There are a couple of things in that post that you can try, but, other than that, I can't help you. :(

I would try Googling for a fix. If you find one, please post it here.

I was wondering, before I buy this game, will it run on my graphics card? My info for it is, mobile intel® 4 series express chipset family and I run it on windows 7. Any info would help tot make sure I can play the game before I buy it.

I was wondering, before I buy this game, will it run on my graphics card? My info for it is, mobile intel® 4 series express chipset family and I run it on windows 7. Any info would help tot make sure I can play the game before I buy it.

I'm not sure about that graphics card; But, this website checks your computer to see if it can run a specific game that you specify.

I'm not sure about that graphics card; But, this website checks your computer to see if it can run a specific game that you specify.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly everything else checks out, but my graphics card. :/ Thanks for the website information and the info.

~Edit. Strange though, another game I have on there says that my graphics card isn't good enough, but it plays just fine for me. :l

I got TSL to run on my laptop which has the previous mobile 965 chipset and X3100 GPU. Your series 4 chipset is just one generation newer than mine and your X4500M GPU is a scaled-up version of the X3100, so it should work, in theory. People have had a lot of problems getting it to run on that particular chipset, though.

Just follow the directions in the second post of this thread.

Hi guys, i am pretty desperate. I bought original copy of kotor ii, after i played it several times on my old computer. But my new notebook with Win 7 64bit Home doesn't work.

I already do everything i think, but you are smart enough to see any mistakes.

1) update directx, set kompatibility and install the game

2) patch it, remove read only, crack it with your exe file, copy mss.dll

3) i tried also rewrite the .ini file ...there could be problem or in "Flipping policy change to Blit, because i don't have any of these terms in my driver software)

I have this one: http://media.bestofmicro.com/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,4-3-234723-13.jpg I tried several combinations here too.

and my hardware: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/intelgraphicsinfo.jpg/

Because, every .ini changes are here to nVidia or ati but i have firetruckin' Intel. Do you know any possible solutions? I also tried widescreen patch and update graphics driver.

I'm just thinking that i install second OS (win xp) to my notebook and play kotor there, if it works, but i don't wanna find xp 64 bit etc. I'd like play kotor on win7, thx.

EDIT: I was looking at the computer at work, and it also have Intel graphics but older software, and there is fipping policy, so i am sure now that's not in the new one. :(

Progress: I found the software i maybe need, but after download and extract files it's writing sth like "you don't have minimum requirements for software installation" really funny :D

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=18228

1) The .exe file in the guide isn't a crack; it's updated by SecuROM.

2) As for the .exe that's included with the widescreen patcher (the one by squizzy); that is a crack, and it might not work on an Intel mobile chipset. I couldn't get it to run on mine (mobile 965). KotOR2 supports 1280x768 natively, anyway, but you have to change the width and height settings in the .ini file because it isn't available in-game.

3) The newer Intel drivers don't have the option to set flipping policy. All you can really do is the Dantooine lag fix, try the original .exe from the patch (you didn't overwrite it, did you?) and if none of that works, download 3DAnalyze and mess with its settings.

Yea, i just called it crack, i overwrote it but i have backup. Well i have 1366x768 but i will also try 1280x768 if it helps and i try everything you said. Maybe just one more thing, what about Mss32.dll i should try with original one or changed one. Thx

SOLUTION: Wow, 2 nights at work and now i can play!! :D So, i used original patched kotor2.exe, mss32.dll is the new one and .ini file with dantoine lag fix and fullscreen=1 anyway, you are doing great job here with advices. :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's because older games like KotOR use 4:3 aspect ratio. KotOR 2 supports 1280x768 natively, you have to enter the values in the .ini file as explained in the second post of this thread.

There are also widescreen mods for both games. Search for them in the KotOR subforum.

I am trying to install SWKOTOR 1 on my pc, but I can't even install the game. I get an error message when the installer starts stating: The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Class not registered

My basic specs for this pc are: CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

8.00GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Please help me figure this out or at least point me in the right direction.

THANKS!!

I have successfully installed both games on Vista x64 using the method outlined in the first two posts of this thread (which involves running setup.exe in XP SP2 compatibility mode).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dudes

I am new around here but let me try to help....

I have kotor 1 & 2, tried the walktrough to make kotor 1 to work in my computer.... but when the game starts it completely shut down my monitor, everything keep runing but no screen.....

Well, i have 2 display set up, and the magic works on my secondary display.... why ? Dunno yet might be a issue with DVI output or the native resolution.

My primary display is 1680 x 1050 native, DVI plugged

My secondary 1024 x 768 native, VGA

I will think about, try to switch cables and see what happens, will post folow up as soon as i see this trough.

Ok so I've been playing Kotor 1 and 2 for forever and they didn't require any fix to run on my vista. Now however I have a new computer and its a windows 7, kotor 1 worked no problem but my Kotor 2 always crashes right after character creation. I get a few seconds of audio from that first video and then nothing. I've tried everything in the first 2 posts of this thread but they didn't work for me. Actually I haven't managed to update my game with the official update because every time I run the update (yes I did the manual download not the automatic update) it says that it can't find the old file. Anyways here are my computers properties please help if you have suggestions. Thanks.

Windows 7 64-bit

ReportDateTime=8/4/2011 8:27:03 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.420

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=None

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=4

CPUSpeed=2660

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=5

CPUStepping=5

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=3896

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=366.42GB

Status=Pass

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1366x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2189

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel® HD Graphics

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

Sorry for the double post but this is the error message that I get when my kotor2 crashes and I thought maybe someone else managed to fix the same error or it would help.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: swkotor2.exe

Application Version: 2.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 41eddf8f

Fault Module Name: StackHash_8ea0

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8ea0

Additional Information 2: 8ea0476bc4dc1b4a84541713f868b73c

Additional Information 3: d063

Additional Information 4: d063338d7564c12191c41b831b737750

If you're using the swkotor2.exe that's been updated by SecuROM with an unpatched game, that could cause the game to crash, since it's made for a patched game.

I would try reinstalling to see if you can get the game patched, then try the patched .exe before you try the SecuROM one.

Ok so I just reinstalled using xp compatibility pack 2 and administrator and then I attempted to patch again using the patching file downloaded from the official site not the auto install and it still didn't go through. the exact error was "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

I have been fiddling with this for some time now and I wanted to see if it mattered whether it was installed in "program files" or "program files (x86)" which is the default. Turns out that in "program files" the error is simply "Old file not found". I don't know why that would be but I thought it might help.

Archived