Home

Its just an mmo now?

SD Nihil

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Star Wars: Galaxies sucks horribly, and I dread the thought of TOL heading the same way. The problem with an MMO is that they'll do everything they can to force you to spend as much time playing it as possible, and the norm in MMORPGs is that your character's power level is determined mostly by gear, which you have to spend hours on end collecting. I'm not terribly fond of WoW's gear dependant system. A Jedi's power comes from within, not from the crap they loot and wear. Weapons, armor and lightsaber crystals might make a difference, but they shouldn't be the defining factor of a character's abilities. I can already imagine the mad rush to get to level 40/50/whatever maximum they decide and the fixation on raids and achievements. I can already see stuff along the lines of "LFM STAR FORGE LINK ACHIEVEMENT OR DONT BOTHER WHISPERING!" If they're going to take KOTOR and turn it into another generic MMORPG, then I'm not touching it with a twenty foot rusty halberd.

And don't get me started on the rest of the grind typical in MMOs... People farming terentetek and Dark Jedi for credits so they can buy overpriced ships? An auction house so greedy people can put stuff up for an arm and a leg? Plotlines you can't advance without 5/10/25 people? No thanks!

• 1 month later...

If it is an MMO and doesn't require a monthly fee, I'll play it. If it is an MMO and does require a monthly fee, I will play it for one month to see how they improve the graphics and such, then give my copy away or sell it. If they make you pay a monthly fee, then Lucasarts are just milking the damn series. Even though I've never played an MMO, I refuse to start playing a pay-per-month basis. The whole damn system of it is just a cash cow.

Also, I definately prefer SP games to MP games. Really, MP is fun, but it's brainless fun that relies on how addictive it is. There's no story. There's no interesting character backstories. All you end up doing is the same damn thing over and over again for a whole weekend, ending up with your brains liquefying and dribbling out your nose.

Lucasarts, if you make this thing an MMO, I've lost all respect for your works.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge bump. I didn't see the date of previous posts :xp:

I'm a SP fan, most of all 'cause I don't have an Internet connection at home but after all I've been reading about TOR I think this will be the game for me to start playing online. I mean it appears to have story line, pretty cool character classes and all that stuff.... but I agree with the posts above, if it's on a monthly-pay-base I guess I'll forget about it and rather play TFU when it finally comes for PC...

Archived