Home

Its just an mmo now?

SD Nihil

I just saw that Bioware is going to do a mmo version of kotor rather than a kotor 3. Does this mean there wil no longer be a kotor 3? MMO meaning something like star wars galaxies where there is no end or stuff like that? Finally, mmo as in pay every month kind of game? I mean if they wanted to do an mmo couldn't they have just done a expansion mod for galaxies like they've doene with so many other expansions?

Yes I did look at the FAQ, but it says stuff like they don't know who will be doing the game. Well the vid I saw said Bioware.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which did you say yes to, all of it? There will never be a kotor 3?

Just so. The developers announced that they intended the MMO to be KotOR 3 to...some other number. Anyway, it is essentially KotOR 3.

There are several rants on the point at adamqd's link. :)

From the vid it said it takes place 3000 years before the move. The K1-2 took place 5000 years before the movies. Which means Revan, Bastila, Carth, all our characers we know of and love are dead. Dang. Well never know what was on the edge of the galaxy, or any of that stuff. Dang.

I've never played an MMO before. So an MMO means there is no ending to the game, cutscenes, cheats, mods that others will be able to interact with each other's mod unless they both have the same mod. I remember with TCP/IP games the server and clint both had to have the same mod otherwise you the clint couldn't enter another server unless that server admin had the same mod. And clints without the mod can't enter a server that is modded.

So MMO means you can meet others online in that game. I don't know much about MMOs. lol

In short:

MMO=Massively Multiplayer Online.

Ever played Battlefield or Counterstrike? But then with thousands of players and in an RPG world, not a shooter.

I can almost certain guaranty that you won't be able to use mods. WoW does allow customisation of the interface (even with mods) but that's where it ends.

And for cut scenes and endings: They can be there. Guild Wars (and the recent WoW expansion) all have a story and cutscenes with them.

But seriously...you've been sleeping for 5 years underneath a rock? MMO's are very common nowadays...

I just have not played MMOs because from what I hear people get so addicted to them that they end up losing their jobs because they are so addicted. I mean heck with K1-2 I lost track of time. lol. You didn't say though if this is one of those MMOs you have to pay per month for. Battlefield, meaning Battlefield 2: Modern Combat?

I just have not played MMOs because from what I hear people get so addicted to them that they end up losing their jobs because they are so addicted.

If that's what you're worried about, try playing one and see what you should really fear.

You didn't say though if this is one of those MMOs you have to pay per month for.

MMOs have a handful of paying systems, some are free of charge, some will only charge certain items or all of them. Although most likely we'll have to pay a monthly fee for it, there has been no official notes regarding it.

I'm against this being an MMO, But I shall play it because It's my favorite game series, era, etc, I love and have invested too much time in KotOR and it's surrounding era's to just NOT play it on principle, maybe Bioware can succeed where others have failed, to be honest they have no idea what they've let themselves in for, although a lot of the devs are ex-SOE, so maybe there just dumb lol. SWG (Sorry to bring it up, I know I bitch when others do regarding tOR) is a Stagnant graveyard of hatred and stuffiness, (Although an influx of new and returning players has taken the edge off as of late) still bleeding from the wounds of the NGE... it's gotta suck to be a developer of something where half it's subscribers hate you, I just hope Bioware can work with the fans to make a game people want to play, or at least listen to subscribers.

On the official forums I can already sense a storm brewing between the old swg players expecting a group hug and a monument in there name, the KotOR lovers who dont want any swg reference or input, MMO fans, Star Wars fan's, Casual fans who want Vader and Han to make an appearance LOL :sigh:, it's gonna be a experience on day 1 of release that's for sure

Of course if we did a petition, it may not change something, but it would at least show these guys the numbers. They would see what profit they got from the game, a list of individuals who were disapproving with the MMO, and who knows numbers might talk. Yeah I might get it if it were a non pay per month game. I too have Xbox Live and pay yearly. I'd hate to have another game I'd have to pay a fee for. Yes if they got it to where it could be played on Xbox Live, or on the computer without a monthy fee I might consider it.

But here's the other factor. We know that with K1-2 that takes place 5000 years before the movies. The MMO takes place 3000 years before th movies. So you can guess any familiar character and connection to that character is lost, or not a part of the story in any big way. The ships and universe might contain something that resembles that type of objects and things we recognize, but I wouldn't bank on it. I mean 2000 years passed since the KOTOR series might mean the ships themselves might be different.

It just seems like such a leap. They say they are doing this because they can tell more stories in an MMO rather than having to do a K3, K4, and so on. But you'd have a lot more if you didn't spread the time so far apart. If you had more games you'd be able to capitalize on the timeline. They would have more stories to tell if they didn't skip so many years by the thousands.

If they simply did multiple games, heck a K16 I'd buy. We've gotten familiar with the KOTOR galaxy, and now they want to drop us far in the future. We need something that resembles KOTOR to get us more grounded in the galaxy before we can accept the new changes. We need some constants. Oh boy can I ever ramble. lol. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

But again that petition might at least get their attention to see how this decision would efect the numbers. If the loses outweigh the gains who knows. If this game will not support mods right there that can shorten a communitiy's lifespan. If there were no mods for these two K1-2 games I'm not sure we'd all still be here. We are here for the creativity, betterment, and restorations from others. Things that inspire others to create and dream of more than just the standard inside the box way of treating a game. So yes I agree they need to know what they might have caused here.

But here's the other factor. We know that with K1-2 that takes place 5000 years before the movies.

Not that it makes any difference, but K1 is set 4000 years before the Empire.

And, yeah, TKA: K1, K2, K3, and so on in one package is just a lame excuse. Remind me of the alleged reason for TFU not being on PC.

I'm not gonna be playing just because of the fee. I can't afford to pay monthly for a game I'm only gonna play for about half an hour every few days. If I'm lucky I'll have time to play everyday but I doubt it.

If its free on the other hand then I might play because it looks interesting. But I still don't like MMOs. I've tried a few and didn't like it. To play an MMO you need to have at least two hours a day to devote to them, otherwise its just not worth it.

I want a f***ing Knight Of The Old Republic III damn it!

And, yeah, TKA: K1, K2, K3, and so on in one package is just a lame excuse. Remind me of the alleged reason for TFU not being on PC.

I fail to see a strong resemblance. LA's excuse in the TFU department was based on supposed technical limitations, whereas in this case Bioware/LA is trying to convince the K3 enthusiasts that this MMO can function in KOTOR 3's place (a concept which as I stated above, I don't think even they themselves believe).

I think a lot of it depends on how the company sees their fan base. Blizzard for example really does care about their community's input an pain stakeningly wants to get it right. I like companies that take their time. I'm sure the majority of us can wait a little longer as long as we know that company is taking the time to get it right. Too many times companies will rush making a game just to get to a deadline that might not be reasonable. And then have to make about 5 patches to correct things they could've by simply taking their time. By not thinking ahead like this you can tick off some of your fan base and lose some.

I'd think BioWare would be one of those companies that would listen to a large group like us saying hey don't go in this direction. It can change. Remember Blizzard was wanting to make Starcraft Ghost. They had vids and were working on things. Then they changed and now are doing Starcraft 2. So what I'm saying is it isn't too late to get their attention in getting them to follow the direction the majority wants. We are the customers after all. And companies care about profit. If they see a large number of their fan base not showing approval for this direction they could change direction. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't make a difference and change things in this world.

Yes, there are some among us that cannot afford to pay for a monthy fee. It'd also be great if BioWare and those guys were taking polls to see what the majority thinks of things like monthy fees. With the ecnonmy right now some might not be able to afford monthy fees, whereas normally they would. companies should think of these things.

I actually think it is a good idea to not include any characters from the Kotor cannon. Because then the dialogue writers would probably have to mention Revan and his/hers gender (Likewise with the Exile) which would effectively end our large cannon debates. This way we can still imagine both player characters as male/female ls/ds. At least this way it will keep everyone happy

Exactly. As the saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it. And not always you would have to call back the voice actors. Today with the technology I'm sure we can emulate voices if they didn't want to do voices for the game. Yes over time you'd close the chapters of Revan and the Exile and start new adventures. You dont need an MMO to do that.

Too bad about the MMOs not allowing mods. Mods are the creativity of the fans and can extend the lifespan of a community. Without it the community is subject to how much time and content the MMO game company is willing to give to the game. And when they want the master server can get closed down. Now this doesn't mean that someone can't simply buy the server or work something out. But that would require the community running themselves.

What I'm sayin is mods allow the fans to grow and give life to their community. MMOs which are totally controlled by the game's company that lifespan and content is solely controled by them.

I refuse to acknowledge TOR as a KotOR III

:carms:

Well look on the bright side Rabish. At least this shows that Lucasarts hasn't forgotten us fans. Though it shows they still want money more then our happiness.

But anyway. Again there is another silver lining. Maybe after this MMO starts to decrease in popularity they will make a REAL Kotor 3 to try and win back fans

Archived