Home

Maniac Mansion Version Changes PC vs. NES

Hello, I just got the NES version of Maniac Mansion after all of these years. And I was wondering why I can feed the Meteor to the plant upstairs but I am not able to do this in the original PC version. I've tried many times. Is it just a bug maybe I have in my version? I've had weird bugs before.

Also maybe if anyone has a link to a list of differences besides the censorship stuff we know about and the adding of music, I would be most interested. Or maybe you guys can list what you've noticed here.

I compiled a number of bizarre differences with the Nintendo port in the Trivia section of our Secret History article.

The Meteor feeding solution is definitely something that was added to the NES version for reasons unknown. There's all kinds of cool and crazy stuff there. Despite the censorship stuff, the NES port of the game is actually really excellent and in some ways the definitive version.

Ah I forgot all about the Secret History Article! That's what motivated me to go track down the NES version in the first place! Thanks for answering my Meteor question though. It was bugging me. Thanks Udvarnoky (Jason)!

And Ray, from what I can remember, the bugs used to always happen before using ScummVM. Things like the hotspots in a room all moving slightly to the left or the worst one I remember was when halfway through the game, I couldn't use anything on anything anymore, no response when I tried it either. So I had to start over.

Archived