Home

tales of mi really easy?

is it possible to beat tales of mi without practically paying attention to anything the characters have to say. i've spent roughly a good 4+ hours listening and finding clues on what to do to beat the game. and my cousin who claims to have "never played the game" beat it in about 1 hour skipping practically almost everything the other chars had to say and finding items and putting the clues together just by reading simple signs. :confused:

I can’t say personally if its possible without paying attention to the characters because I spent some time just going around trying just about everything I could think of to see what would happen but It was pretty easy. I enjoyed it a lot but found I really didn’t have to think about the puzzles to beat them even with the hint bar all the way down. Actually Guybrush insisted that he give me “hints” even though I was already on the right track. It seemed to follow the same pattern most games start with by easing the player into the game. My hope is they make more complex puzzles as the game goes on or program a mega monkey type mode.

Some parts of it were pretty easy, but I find it difficult to believe that your cousin beat it in an hour without paying attention if he hadn't played it before... There are some pretty difficult puzzles (relative to the others in the game), like

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
using the cheese wheel on the walls of the jail and then using it on one of the idols
And figuring out that you had to
Show spoiler
align the final idol's pictures based on DeSinge's grunts and moans
took me a good five or ten minutes to work out (I spent that time wandering flotsam for clues and stuff).

There are a lot of instances like that where something doesn't go right the first few tries so you assume that clues lie elsewhere, where actually the problem's just in the way that you're doing it (so you end up wasting time looking for clues and stuff... at least, that happens with me, other people might play differently).

But yeah, congratulations to your cousin if he's telling the truth... took me at least 3 hours :p

Also, I had my "hints" thing set on the default level and I only ever got one... was it like that for everyone?

There is no way I believe someone beat it in an hour unless they used max hints on every puzzle. I didn't think the game was hard compared to "classic" adventure games but there were a few puzzles that felt very rewarding after I solved them without hints. Overall I was happy with the difficulty level.

• 2 weeks later...
Some parts of it were pretty easy, but I find it difficult to believe that your cousin beat it in an hour without paying attention if he hadn't played it before... There are some pretty difficult puzzles (relative to the others in the game), like
Show spoiler
using the cheese wheel on the walls of the jail and then using it on one of the idols
Show spoiler
took me a good five or ten minutes to work out (I spent that time wandering flotsam for clues and stuff).

Also, I had my "hints" thing set on the default level and I only ever got one... was it like that for everyone?

I had problems with the same two puzzles you mentioned, especially the latter, but those were pretty much the only two where I reached the level of frustration I felt during some parts of the earlier games. In general, I found it a lot easier than I had expected - maybe because of factors like the interface where you have no different action verbs to keep going through. A few of my mistakes in the past were where I'd look at an object but not think to pick it up or move it etc., and here it's automatic.

Oh and I also got hardly any hints, especially as the grame progressed! Unfortunately the few I got were when I needed them the least :raise:

• 4 weeks later...
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

There are a lot of instances like that where something doesn't go right the first few tries so you assume that clues lie elsewhere, where actually the problem's just in the way that you're doing it (so you end up wasting time looking for clues and stuff... at least, that happens with me, other people might play differently).

But yeah, congratulations to your cousin if he's telling the truth... took me at least 3 hours :p

About that second one:

Show spoiler
I never listened to DeSinge, I just pulled out my weathervane and looked at the faces on that one, worked for the first idol at the big statue too.

Anyhow, Tales isn't really easy, but it's not hard either.

I played through both the two episodes without a single hint, didn't get stuck much, finished both of them in a matter of hours.

Archived