Home

Which version of Grim Fandango should I buy?

Prolifix

I recently decided to buy Grim Fandango, as my old copy won't install, and I've been wanting to play - and finish - this game for years. The first time I ever played it - approximately 10 years ago - the game got stuck after year 3, and I uninstalled it soon after.

Anyway, amazon.com has two different boxed versions with slightly different covers.

The first version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DMAD/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p63_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1AR6TTMXHFWFB5BDBCTQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938131&pf_rd_i=507846

states that it is compatible with Windows 98/ME/95.

The second version:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018VCK3U/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p65_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1AR6TTMXHFWFB5BDBCTQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

lists that it is compatible with Win XP/2000/98. The box art is also slightly different in this second version, as it has a PG rating printed on, as well as having slightly brighter colours. I'll take a wild guess and say that the second version was released later as thats the only explanation for the higher price, compatibility, and PG rating/different colour scheme on the cover.

I wanted to ask, which version should I get? Will I have more trouble installing and playing the first version since it doesn't have Win XP compatability? Or will the second version have the same compatibility issues as the first?

Just to let everyone know I'm running Win XP Service Pack 3. PC is a Intel Core 2 E 6400 (that's dual core, for those who don't know), 7950 GT 256 MB vid card, and 2 gig ram.

I'm planning on ordering it in a couple of days, so I'd appreciate a quick response from those who know.

From what I recall Grim Fandango was re-released with a version that included the patch and had the option to install to your hard drive during the installation process. This version also lacks a manual, instead including a PDF on the disc.

I think the two you've linked to are both the re-released version, because the original came in a big cardboard box.

Whichever one you get though, you'll probably want to use Benny's Grim Fandango Launcher which has these provisions anyway — so really it doesn't matter which you get.

Archived