Home

Models do seem to hate me.

Canderis

I am trying to re-do this head model FOR THE 3RD TIME. And its starting to get old. So far the only thing I've had export right from 3ds max has been saber hilts and one body model. The replacer fails to build the .mdx EVERY TIME. No matter how many times i re-download it. Or how many heads I run through it IT JUST KEEPS FAILING. What am I doing wrong?

Which head you are using and is it for K1 or K2?

Are you adding topology to it or deleting parts? If so it's best to just run it through MDLOPs and then follow this thread to get it to run. Actually, I find it easier to just run it through MDLOPs regardless, always assuming it's either a male head or one of the Caucasian females (see page four of the linked thread to find out what I mean).

Oh and I don't know jack about TSL modding so things there could be completely different with the head models.

Be mindfull that there are 3 versions of MDLops: each seems to do things a little differant and better, though that depends on what model you're working on.

MDLops 0.5 => Good for lightsabers.

MDlops 0.6 Alpha 1=> the one I seemed to have the best results in editing heads and bodies. With the whole add extra Geometry to heads and things.

MDLops 0.6 Alpha 4=> Not sure what its good for :lol:

Weapons, like swords and guns go a OK.

So you might have to redo it all though, oh, don't use the 'double click', auto unpack from KotorTools. Certainly if you're planning on editing heads and bodies, it always gave me bad results.

If you have a master copy of the head, open the ASCII in Max and then immediately export it without changing a thing. Then run it through the Replacer (although I still suggest settoken's way of doing things) and see if you get the same result. If you do then you could possibly have a bad rip from KOTOR Tools. So you might have to redo, unfortunately. On the brightside, the more you redo the better you get at modeling!

It's best to use the mdlops read and write method, but your gonna have to hex edit the MDL file itself using Settoken's method like Miro42 suggested. Or else you'll get the "head slides off shoulder thing" which happens when you don't hex edit the MDL file.

Also, you may have downloaded a bad version of Taina's replacer, which is why it may not be processing your new mdl files correctly.

Archived