Home

What increases deflection? (besides BBD saber parts)

Parmenides

I'm pretty sure that those hand deflection powers become useless after you get a lightsaber. In vanilla playthroughs I usually have a saber built for deflection and one built for dueling.

And don't forget the Jedi Defense feat tree.

The West, of course. :p

Pure evil :p

Dasvidaniya comrade....

Yeah, I too build the defense saber (usually a short blue one honouring my Guardian pals Brianna and Bao) and an attack saber in lovely Viridian. I am a wanna-be consular, ya know?

If you read the specs on the different crystals, some of them tell you exactly what their deflection bonuses are. The Lorrdian crystal definitely improves deflection, as do others. The main thing for deflection is the deflecting lens/emitter combos, which I cannot recall names of ATM. Rest assured, if you Wiki KotOR, you can find information about all of this. Or search these forums, I guarantee one of our many talented modders past and present have made a look-up sheet for this type of thing. Achilles comes to mind as a possibility.

Besides lightsaber crystals that increase deflection, the Jedi Defense feats, as Evil Q pointed out, also increase deflection. Hand deflection both allows you to deflect blaster bolts without a lightsaber and gives you a bonus when deflecting with a lightsaber.

Beyond that, you'll need to boost your attack bonus. Defense plays no role in deflection and dexterity only applies if you have the Weapon Finesse feat. A successful deflection is based on your attack roll exceeding your opponent's attack roll. Exceeding it by ten or more deflects the bolt back at them.

- Star Admiral

Besides lightsaber crystals that increase deflection, the Jedi Defense feats, as Evil Q pointed out, also increase deflection. Hand deflection both allows you to deflect blaster bolts without a lightsaber and gives you a bonus when deflecting with a lightsaber.

Beyond that, you'll need to boost your attack bonus. Defense plays no role in deflection and dexterity only applies if you have the Weapon Finesse feat. A successful deflection is based on your attack roll exceeding your opponent's attack roll. Exceeding it by ten or more deflects the bolt back at them.

- Star Admiral

OOOOH, attack Roll! That was the other piece to the puzzle that I was looking for. I didn't know that! Thanks! I knew about the feats and saber parts but not the attack roll.

Thanks!

Hand deflection both allows you to deflect blaster bolts without a lightsaber and gives you a bonus when deflecting with a lightsaber.

This I didn't know about at all. I thought that that particular Force power tree became useless once you got your lightsaber. Interesting. Makes me rethink getting it during my next playthrough. Does the Jedi Defense feat tree affect it, as in providing the same deflection bonus that it does to saber deflection?

Now this I knew about at one time, but I had forgotten the actual mechanics of how it worked.

Quoted out of the game description.

This power is always in effect and provides an extra +3 to all Deflection rolls.

At first I thought it meant the bonus applies only when deflecting with your hands, but after watching the deflection calculations in my game Journal for many rounds, I found that it applied even with a lightsaber. It appears to stack with all the other bonuses to deflection.

- Star Admiral

Archived