Home

New PC...recommendation?

Darth333

I don't blame you one bit for not trusting OCZ. Like I said, they're not my first choice. Intel makes the most reliable SSDs out there and I'm sure it will serve you well.

It will work best if you do a fresh installation of Windows on it instead of transferring your OS partition from your platter drive. I know it's pain, but it'll be worth it. Before you install Windows, make sure that your drive controller is set to AHCI in the BIOS. If your motherboard has its own AHCI drivers, you'll want to put them on a thumb drive and install them right after format and right before you install Windows (there's an "install driver" option). Otherwise, Windows 7's AHCI drivers will do just fine.

Enjoy the drive. I'll be interested in hearing about the difference it makes, which will most likely be dramatic. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Only available while funds last. Promo code valid through 4/17/2011 or sooner based on fund availability.

Decided not to risk it and placed my order for this (the X25 was showing out of stock again). I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope that the 320 (w/ 25nm architecture) doesn't turn out to be a mistake.

P.S. $214 after shipping. Not the deal that you posted but I feel ok at $1.73/GB.

Funnily enough, right after logging off earlier, I checked my email, and saw that Newegg newsletter. I ended up making the same decision you did. As you said, 1.73/GB doesn't hurt too much.

Now for the waiting part. Luckily every purchase I've made with Newegg has been shipped inhumanly fast.

It will work best if you do a fresh installation of Windows on it instead of transferring your OS partition from your platter drive.
This is not what I wanted to hear.

I purchased Win7 through a school program via my alma mater. The digital copy I still have (but apparently can't help because the install disk needs to be an iso) but the $20 "back-up" disk has been lost. Transfer is my only option :(

Luckily every purchase I've made with Newegg has been shipped inhumanly fast.
Two weeks ago, I had my first negative experience with NewEgg. To their credit, they very quickly responded to my complaint and refunded my shipping costs very promptly. I ordered on a Friday. Part of the order shipped from CA (it was processed on Friday, shipped on Monday, and arrived on Wednesday). The rest shipped from TN. It was acknowledged on Monday, processed on Tuesday (thereby missing their 24-48 hour claim), and scheduled to deliver on Thursday. UPS dropped the ball somewhere and I didn't get it until Friday (a full week after I ordered it).

Grand scheme of things; not that big of a deal. However if you tell me one thing and then do another, that upsets me. Like I said though, they were great about refunding my shipping costs. I'm hopeful that my previous order was a one-off.

This is not what I wanted to hear.

I purchased Win7 through a school program via my alma mater. The digital copy I still have (but apparently can't help because the install disk needs to be an iso) but the $20 "back-up" disk has been lost. Transfer is my only option :(

Try this. There are other options if that doesn't work.

For added convenience, you might want to backup and restore your activation beforehand.

Second, since you've got 8GB of RAM, you can minimize the page file and make the minimum and maximum sizes the same, so that it takes up a consistent amount of space on the SSD. I do not recommend moving it to the spindle drive like I've read elsewhere, however.

Q, would you make this same recommendation for someone using 4GB? I've never used more than 1.8.

Remember to use no more than 75% of your SSD's capacity so that TRIM will have the necessary free space to do its job.
Should I consider enabling disk quotas or will that 75% come out of that as well?

Also, is there a way to confirm that TRIM is running?

One more: I thought Win7 would disable Defrag if it detected a SSD? Or is the "Never run" what is meant by "disabled"?

Q, would you make this same recommendation for someone using 4GB? I've never used more than 1.8.

The debate over what to do with the page file is as old as the page file itself. Some people advocate eliminating it entirely, which is crazy. In your case, I would just let Windows manage it, because it probably won't go over 4GB. As for people with 6 or 8GB of RAM I would consider limiting it to 2-3GB.

Should I consider enabling disk quotas or will that 75% come out of that as well?

You know, I've never messed around with disk quotas, so I don't know if Windows would prevent TRIM from using the other 25% with them enabled. Personally, I'd always planned just to watch disk space usage and not let it get over 90GB on a 120GB SSD.

Also, is there a way to confirm that TRIM is running?

Not that I'm aware of, no, but you can verify whether or not it's enabled:

But you can check on the status of TRIM at the OS level (Win 7) and also enable or disable it via command line:

TRIM Commands

Go to the Command Prompt and type:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

To enable TRIM (if it's disabled), go to command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

To disable TRIM, to go command prompt and type:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

I would use an elevated command prompt for this.

You can also "kick-start" TRIM by emptying the recycle bin or performing disk cleanup, but as far as actually verifying that it's working, I've never heard of any way of doing that.

One more: I thought Win7 would disable Defrag if it detected a SSD? Or is the "Never run" what is meant by "disabled"?

It does. I'm paranoid and would probably check anyway, but that's just me.

Archived