Home

Start game as an administrator?

Freeisoloader

Hello, before I explain my problem some background information:

I'm from germany, playing with my software in german and so on, but I've bought the english version of Kotor2 due to some really annoying bugs with mods I wanted to play.

So now let's face my problem:

When I start Kotor2 I can choose if I run it in the normal mode or as administrator.

If I decide to run it as admin I have to right click the .exe and click on "run as administrator" to start the request if I really want to do this.

Or simply click on the launcher (which somehow immeadiatly starts this request, dunno why).

The thing is: If I run the game as admin, every mod works fine, except overhauls (I have seperate gamefolders for the overhauls) and mods, that changes environmenttextures (like the visual enhancement mod 2011 from Xarwarz).

In the case I don't run it as admin, my "skip peragus" mod from supersquall doesn't show me any text or options to click at if I interact with the first computer, which you normally use to unlock the morgue to talk with Kreia.

This forces me to close the game via alt + f4 because I can't do anything.

I bet even if I would be able to get through this special problem, it would reappear on some other occassions like on the Jedi Temple expansion mod.

It would be (and is) the same problem I've had with the german version I used before.

I've had this problem the whole time on the Jedi Temple on Coruscant (mod), everytime I tryed to interact with the computers or the protocol droid.

But now (ironically) the graphicmods like visual enhancement 2011 work.

Something I've known before is, that the savegames made in normale mode can't be used while running the game as admin and vice versa.

But I never thought that admin mode and normal mode would cause such problems.

What I ask for is ,firstly, an explanation why all this happens. I just don't get, why it is like that.

And that really annoys me (I'm not very deep in the materia and I'm no modder, but, for example, I get some basics like why some mods aren't compatible).

So I want to know why exactly some mods do work and some mods don't.

Secondly a suggestion how I could get the game running with both, running game mods AND running graphic mods would be nice.

Ideally it would be a solution that fixes the graphic issue when I run it as admin, because in this mode everything else runs fine.

If I messed up some sentences because of my bad english and you aren't able to understand what I wanted to say, tell me, I'll try to fix those sentences then ^^.

And an explanation why I think this part of the forum is the right location for this thread:

My "problem" is not exactly about a special mod, it deals more with a general thing, the difference between running the game normal and running it as an administrator.

It's not really some kind of a big problem so I don't think it has something to do with problems in the WorkBench forum.

And it actually has something to do with modifying my game.

But if it's wrong, just move it to the right forum, I'm still not sure where it really belongs to ^^.

Well the one thing I ask to the whole enviornmenttextures is if you have the game set to the highest quality visual setting that your computer can run, if not then even with the mod, it'll still look kind of odd. (Mine only runs on the lowest setting, so I don't normally deal with those kinds of mods, but I have a friend that has and discovered that he hadn't set it to the highest quality visual setting his computer could handle.)

Also what kind of computer are you running? Vista and Windows 7 can only really run K1 or K2 on Administrator mode to it's fullest function, so that might be why your mods cut out if you are... my computer won't even run the game if I don't set it on administrator mode.

Win7. Yes I run it with maximum available quality (highest available resolution without widescreen: 1024*768, 16X Antisotropy, 8 sample AA, High quality Textures, V-Sync turned on,).

One thing said about the widescreen thing: I don't use it because my computer starts the game in window mode and doesn't stretch the pictures over the whole screen (don't ask me why) and I like that pretty much, since it makes things like browsing through the internet and chatting at the same time much easier. So I don't feel the need to change it to widescreen.

Extra Information: I'm running it in compatibility mode Windows XP Service Pack 2. Found out, that by activating the compatibility mode I automatically start the game as an admin.

It sounds to me like a Windows Vista/7 permissions problem. If the game is not run as an admin, it may not work properly, and saves may not save properly. This is why it should always be run as an admin. The installation instructions that I provided the link to (and which admittedly need an overhaul) will tell you to do what you figured out on your own; namely setting the swkotor2.exe to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode as an admin, but that's only part of it. You'll also need to do the same to the setup.exe on the installation disk before you even install the game, and to the patch file before you run it.

For best results, all of this should be done using an administrator's account. It makes things a lot simpler.

Well, I did as the thread said I should, nearly read everything ten times.

The textures still don't work and I quite don't get why =/

And the thing with the savegames: They actually are saved, but you can't use them when you run the game as admin and so on.

But if you start it "normally" they still show up. You just can't see the "normal" saves in the admin mode and you can't see the "admin" saves in the normal mode.

It could be a problem with that texture mod.

OK, let me see your swinfo.txt. I might be able to see where the problem is.

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

Hmm, before the text my comment:

I don't know why but it looks like the game doesn't like my driver. Says it's to old and so on. But I could swear I updated it only 2 weeks ago with the most actual driver on the nvidia homepage I could find for my video card.

Thank you very much for the help and the explanations ^^

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=18.04.2011 01:36:07

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1994

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=15

CPUStepping=13

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=11.88GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=16.82GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H ATA Device

[Video]

Video Card Name=RDPDD Chained DD

Video Memory=1024

Desktop Resolution=0x0x0

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.3.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2

NVidia Driver=(null)

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Fail

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Primärer Soundtreiber

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=4

Texture Quality=2

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=0

Brightness=31

RefreshRate=60

Height=768

Width=1024

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=29

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=3

BodyVariation=13

AppearanceType=176

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=2

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=0

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=56

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=0

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=0

Movie 9=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 5=29

Movie 4=192

Movie 3=1

Movie 2=232

Movie 1=2

Movie 0=0

[config]

firstrun=0

GameVersion=v2.00.424

This tells me that the game is not patched.

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

Anisotropy=16

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=4

Texture Quality=2

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=0

Brightness=31

RefreshRate=60

Height=768

Width=1024

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

I see no Dantooine lag fix under [Graphics Options]; Fullscreen and the Width and Height are set to different values under [Display Options] and [Graphics Options].

Dunno why but I think in that case the analysis programm does not seem to work when it comes to the game version.

As I already said I reinstalled the game yesterday, which includes patching.

And I swear I did that, which leads us to the conclusion that either the checking programm doesn't work or I patched the wrong gamefolder OR the patches somehow didn't work.

I don't use the Dantooine lag fix since I never had any lag problems at Dantooine during my 5 playthroughs.

The thing with the fullscreen is interesting and actually explains, why my game is in window mode... I'll edit this. Fullscreen will be set to 0 and the Width and the Height will be 1024*768.

But, well even with this changed, it seems like the textures still don't appear.

Dunno why but I think in that case the analysis programm does not seem to work when it comes to the game version.

As I already said I reinstalled the game yesterday, which includes patching.

And I swear I did that, which leads us to the conclusion that either the checking programm doesn't work or I patched the wrong gamefolder OR the patches somehow didn't work.

OK. :¬:

I don't use the Dantooine lag fix since I never had any lag problems at Dantooine during my 5 playthroughs.

The thing with the fullscreen is interesting and actually explains, why my game is in window mode... I'll edit this. Fullscreen will be set to 0 and the Width and the Height will be 1024*768.

But, well even with this changed, it seems like the textures still don't appear.

This is also not Vista-related, but it would appear that the classic "Dantooine lag fix" for ATI video cards is now required for BOTH ATI and Nvidia DX10 cards, as well as for Intel integrated GPUs. This should also be done with BOTH GAMES. It should also be done when using XP with a DX10 card:

• First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor(2)\swkotor(2).ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
  • When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
  • Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
  • Under the last line ("last line" as in the last line of the list of entries under "Graphics Options", NOT the last line of "swkotor(2).ini), add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
  • Goto File, then Save.

With KotOR2 only, make sure that Fullscreen=1 and that the Width and Height values are the same and set to a resolution that the game actually supports (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x960 or 1280x1024) under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options" in the "swkotor2.ini" file. After applying the changes, save and exit then go back into the file to make sure that the changes were saved. If they weren't, move the swkotor.ini file to your desktop and apply the changes there. Save it, exit, go back in to check and see if the changes were applied, then move it back to the main game folder.

The fix is required for DX10 GPUs (like yours) to render the game properly.

Have you updated DirectX?

Yes, my version at the moment is DirectX 11. I updated it like your installation-manual earlier recommended.

Well, I haven't read the part that says that the lagg fix is generally needed. Sorry for that ^^

But why is it called especially "Dantooine" lag fix then? I'm just curious.

Because way back when KotOR1 was released, the ATI cards had a real problem with it. On Dantooine, whenever the player exited the Jedi enclave interior and went into the courtyard, the game would slow to a crawl and become unplayable. The fix became unnecessary after ATI updated its drivers and was forgotten until the DX10 cards were released several years later and people encountered low framerates and graphical anomalies with the new hardware. Someone figured out that the Dantooine lag fix solved those problems as well and it is now a must-have for any GPU that supports DX10 and up.

Archived