Home

KotOR 2 Windows 7 crash

Bellator777

Hi, I'm new to LucasForums. I'm trying to play KotOR 2, but it always stops working after the intro. I can't seem to be able to get he game to patch. I've tried the manual but it a box always pops up that says "Old box not found. however, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." I also can't get it patched by using SecuROM. I'm not too good with computers, so i need a somewhat simple answer.

I just tested the download link and it's still good. What steps are you talking about?

1) Download the file.

2) Rename the swkotor2.exe in your game folder.

3) Extract the file you downloaded to your game folder.

• 1 month later...

This is a problem I have encountered. But mine is just a general install on Windows 7, so I don't know if this will solve the problem. I did not go through the get KOTOR/TSL to work on Windows 7 steps. It was not necessary for me. But here is what I did.

First thing is disable the movies. Although this may not be necessary for you. I had to do it because of the widescreen patch. Something about scaling issues.

Next, you get TSL to start in windowed mode and while in windowed mode start a new game/or load a previous save. Then maximize the window.

I am also trying to run the game on windows 7 and I have followed all the steps twice but the game still seems to crash after the intro video and character creation

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

Also, from the Vista/7 installation guide:

11) If the game is crashing or exiting to the desktop whenever a movie tries to play, you may need to enable support for 640x480 resolution in your graphics driver control panel to allow movies to play.

12) If the game still won't load for whatever reason, it might be a good idea to disable the intro ad movies by renaming their files. This is also handy if you just don't want to sit through them. These are located in the "movies" folder, which is in the main game folder. The files in question are:

KotOR 1: biologo.bik; leclogo.bik; legal.bik

KotOR 2: leclogo.bik; legal.bik; ObsidianEnt.bik

In each case you can just change their file extension from "bik" to "bak" and they'll be skipped.

Archived