Home

GETTING TO THE MEAT OF THINGS, THEN?>

90SK

Ok, so here's my question:

Do you think (and I mean this as a kindhearted human soul connecting with anonymous individuals under various pseudonyms through a common means of communication, despite whatever inherently tarnished reputation precedes me via this medium) that we will have a digital apocalypse.

"Digital Apocolypse" can refer to anything really, I'm thinking of it along the lines of either a dystopian world where there is significantly less nature and people isolate and live most of the time through digital means, or a future where our digital world has failed in some way such as war resulting in the destruction or reorganization of the Internet/long-distance information distribution, or something destructive occurring within the infrastructure of our information distribution system, presumably more basic than "the internet" but not limited to such a device.

Zombies may or may not be involved, I personally am not a supporter of such a development because its an extinction scenario.

And, a note on extinction scenarios: I do not believe in them. I'm not saying I don't think they exist, I'm saying I do not support them in any way/shape/form with belief energies. I think we're a pessimistic collective ruling body, I do not think we are in any real danger of messing **** up as badly as we are able to admit presently, if that makes any sense.

Cogitate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Note that McLuhan was not in favour of the digital revolution he predicted, believing it would bring about the death of literate and literary culture, and the creation of a new tribalism.

Hm. Interesting. I am wondering why I never heard of him before, but nevertheless, thanks. I think he was right BTW.

There's a tendency (the most recent example being Google+ integration into Google searches) that emphasizes social networking as prominent in results you might search. Of course if you have a great deal of different minded people as your friends on G+, this shouldn't pose a problem. But if you do-- then you will never be exposed to alternative viewpoints... or at least, it will becomes something you have to do, rather than something that happens whenever you search for something.

So it may be that, in the age of complete internet freedom, you may actually be exposed to fewer alternative viewpoints than when your freedom restricted by you geographical locale merely because you are more likely to click on something that conforms to the things that you've previously clicked. While I'm pleased that search is becoming more USEFUL, it is likely to be at the detriment of other factors.

In this case it seems like it would contribute to a "digital apocalypse", since people would have insufficient answers to questions they might have, and no real way to resolve them.

We must ensure that we do not abandon our upkeep of the natural world, in favor of advancing our technology and digital interconnectivity. Ideally the future of our planet and the upkeep of it are mutually exclusive. If they aren't, something is wrong. I say that because it's true: we could complicate it by arguing, but its there for our benefit and the sooner we realize the better. It's like the teen girl who should've been taking care of her mother when she was smoking pot, and the mom gets killed by drug dealers. Or something like that. Humanity is so important.

I thought humanity was entering its teenage years as a species, but we may still be a baby. I hope we become peaceful soon. I can already see and feel the world changing, I think we'll have a peaceful future.

Archived