Home

Star Wars: The Darkness Within

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Varik's speeder bike got ever closer to the source, he saw something in the distance. It was the mercenary camp they fought through months ago - already nearly half buried. He slowed his bike to a halt, as he saw a figure nearly buried in the sand, unconscious.

He used the Force to lift her off of the sand, and into the air. She wore dark robes, which made him suspicious. The hilt on her belt, however, confirmed it.

"Sith.", he said with a hiss. He promptly dropped her body to the ground.

"It was a mistake to come here.", he said to Light. He grabbed the lightsabers off of his belt, but did not ignite them.

He could've sworn he heard the faint hum of other speeder bikes in the far distance.

''Aye. Looks like your Jedi pals have decided to chase tail. Our tails.'' He looked at the Sith and took her lightsaber.

''That will bring me some extra spice money.'' He took his modified blaster pistol from his belt. He moved his hand to the grenades dangling near his hip.

''Maybe we'll get some fun after all.''

"Good, I was afraid you'd say no." Corsail said with a smirk. "I saw him heading east, so thats the direction we should head."

He left the ship and mounted one of the near by speeder bikes and started it up. Sand flew into his face making him rub his eyes, he looked up into the sky and frowned. "Looks like a sand storm is coming this way, we better make this quick"

Dune sea

"Sith."

The assassin's eyes slowly opened as she felt herself being lifted off the ground and than winced as she was dropped.

"Not sith..." She muttered. "Not anymore...I showed weakness and as a result, I've been chased across the galaxy."

Her eyes widened for a moment as she felt her lightsaber being taken from her but sighed heavily. Were these two going to kill her? Had she survived so many attempts on her life and so many different hostile planets to be killed here? On Tatooine?

The assassin attempted to rise to her feet only to drop to her knees. She was too weak after her battle with a warrior and the sand filled winds of tatooine weren't helping either.

"My name is Avriela. And I am not sith!" She said as her voice regained some small measure of strength.

Shan

"So let us. The sooner we catch up, the sooner we can find out what they're up to, and if they're in danger!"

"Your right. But we're going to need a few speeders." Zarev said. "Vlalkor, I want you to stay on board and keep an eye on Kif. Let us know if his condition changes immediatly."

"yes sir."

Zarev headed towards the ramp and saw around four speeder bikes parked outside a cantina. "I recommend we borrow these for the time being. I'm sure they won't even be missed."

Zarev sat down on one of the speeders and activated it and reached out through the force and was able to quickly locate Varik's unique force signature.

"I've got a fix on Varik's location."

''That will bring me some extra spice money.''

Varik raised an eyebrow at Traver, and was about to speak before the Sith spoke.

"My name is Avriela. And I am not Sith!"

Varik laughed, showing cruelty he gave to only Sith. "I know you, I know your kind. Your self-destructive code brings only destruction and ruin to everything, including yourselves. But there is some truth to your words. You were not strong enough to be considered a true Sith. You were weak, selfish, and foolish."

"Who knows what atrocities you've done, the innocents you've slaughtered, and your adherence to that path. It is one thing to meet a Sith, so infatuated in his ways, and then to cut him down - still clinging to that belief. But to meet a Sith surrendering, after untold years of cruelty, to suddenly turn from that path that they clang to for years - begging for forgiveness when the odds turned against them, is even worse. You are a disgrace. I should give you 'mercy' by killing you right here and now. But I won't. I could send you to a POW camp, send you to the mercy of a patriotic Republic crowd of millions, or I could send you back to the Sith. I show no forgiveness to your kind."

He turned his back to the Sith, and walked to his speeder.

In the distance, he barely saw speeder bikes.

"I know you, I know your kind. Your self-destructive code brings only destruction and ruin to everything, including yourselves. But there is some truth to your words. You were not strong enough to be considered a true Sith. You were weak, selfish, and foolish."

Avriela lowered her gaze for a moment before bringing them back up to be level with Varik's. Her gaze was cold. "I am being hunted across the galaxy for one reason and one reason only: I thought I could forge my own path across the galaxy. I thought that a sith should not torture and murder and cause chaos. That is not the path I walk. I showed mercy and compassion to my enemies and that brought unwanted attention to myself. As a result, I am now considered a disease among sith."

"Who knows what atrocities you've done, the innocents you've slaughtered, and your adherence to that path. It is one thing to meet a Sith, so infatuated in his ways, and then to cut him down - still clinging to that belief. But to meet a Sith surrendering, after untold years of cruelty, to suddenly turn from that path that they clang to for years - begging for forgiveness when the odds turned against them, is even worse. You are a disgrace. I should give you 'mercy' by killing you right here and now. But I won't. I could send you to a POW camp, send you to the mercy of a patriotic Republic crowd of millions, or I could send you back to the Sith. I show no forgiveness to your kind."

Avriela's voice was cold and filled with regret. "I'm sorry that thats the way you feel about me. I'm thankful that you saved my life, but n my travels across the galaxy I met Jedi like you, jedi who wished me dead and jedi who attacked me on sight.

Avriela smiled. "And everyone of them still live."

Per'dra, on her speeder bike, spotted two figures in the receding distance. One of them was, of course, Varik, because she could trace his Force signature: conflicted yet determined to seek redemption (or retribution). The other was the assassin who had confronted them. Gunning the accelerator on her bike, she quickly closed the gap between herself and the two enough to hear what Varik was telling the human male:

"Are you sure Tulak Hord is gone, Varik?" Her voice was equal parts suspicion and disappointment. "If it is truly you speaking, I wonder how you call yourself a Jedi. We never execute our prisoners, no matter what their crimes, and we refrain from slaughtering unarmed opponents! Perhaps you can help us, assassin, and tell us what drove you to attack us on sight. For whom do you work? Are you associated in any way with the rogue Jedi Master Voleran? The more true answers that you give us, the more Varik won't want to kill you." Per'dra dismounted from her bike. "Also, the more I will believe you."

"Fine! Ally yourself with the Sith. Don't blame me when she takes advantage of that and tries to kill us all. Sith aren't to be trusted. I thought you knew that.", Varik said with heavy disgust.

He angrily grabbed Avriela's lightsaber out of Traver's hand, and drove off back towards the ship.

((Avriela is not the one who confronted them earlier, while we were fighting the Twi'lek jedi-turned-assassin, Avriela was fighting a sith warrior deep in the dune sea who has been dispatched to kill her. Just thought I would let you know. :)))

"Are you associated in any way with the rogue Jedi Master Voleran? The more true answers that you give us, the more Varik won't want to kill you."

Avriela shook her head in confusion. She was a bit wary of the group of people who had appeared but she didn't sense any killing intention from any of them. Well, she had sensed something close to it when the one known as Varik was talking to her but that was it.

"I don't know of a Jedi master named Voleran, come to think of it, I've only met a few jedi in my travels and most of them were not exactly willing to speak to me."

She narrowed her eyes as the full impact of what they had said hit her. A jedi master had gone rouge? That was interesting news.

"Also, the more I will believe you."

"I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I've been running from the sith for nearly a year now so forgive me but I've been out of contact with the majority of the galaxy for a long time."

She turned and looked towards the area that Varik had taken off towards, most likely it would lead back to some form of civillization. "Based on how many sith have come after me these past few weeks, I think they've been increasing their efforts to either capture or kill me. I think I'm going to need my lightsaber back."

"We can't believe a word she says, I don't think anything she just said was true" He drew one of his blasters out of his holster and pointed it in Avriela direction.

"Think about it, Varik pretends that he gets "possessed" by some sith spirit so he can betray us and still be considered an ally, hopping he could cut a few of us down while at the same time giving the rouge jedi Voleran time to finish business on tatooine, after that he leaves the ship to meet his sith contact and get paid whatever the sith was paying him to betray us."

Corsail took a breath then continued "This other jedi, Light, is an imperial spy working with Varik, and this other guy, whats his name? Oh yeah Traver, was apparently let in on the deal and went with them. Now that Varik has his pay he left Light and Traver behind to deal with us, while he go's back to the ship alone and....kills Vlalkor, the only person we left behind at the ship. He'll kill him and take our ship leaving us stranded on the planet."

Corsail looked around at everyone expecting them to see the truth in what he was saying.

Light definitely saw the perspective of this stranger, Avriela. Not belonging to either major group himself, he felt compassion for her. He moved forward putting his back to Avriela, and drawing his two one-handed sabers without igniting them.

"At worst I say we contain her. But claiming that everyone is a traitor, that's foolish. Varik took her light saber, so she doesn't have the ability to fight any of us. If he was a traitor, he'd leave her armed, hoping she'd kill some of us."

Light disabled Corsail's gun with the force, by forcing sand to completely clog it. Then, thinking better of what made him draw them, he belted his lightsabers, and offered a hand to Avriela by turning to the side and keeping an eye on Corsail.

"Of course you would say that!" Corsail shouted "She's your contact and you're still trying to get out of this with your life!" Corsail looked down as sand filled his gun. Blasted jedi.... He thought to himself. Corsail slowly moved his hand to his other blaster ready to draw it at any time.

He looked around at Zarev and Per'dra, "You can't really be falling for this can you?"

Per'dra Yllari blinked. Hard. "You've definitely thought this situation through very deeply," she told Corsail, "and I can see the merit that your theory holds. Varik could very well have pulled the proverbial wool over our eyes when he said he was possessed by Tulak Hord, but the thing is, I felt Hord within him. If Varik had only been pretending, Light and I would have known he was when we took a journey into his mind. We would have seen through his deception. True, Light could be a spy for the Empire, but from what I've heard, it takes a Sith Lord's degree of talent with the Force to pull off the 'battle' with Tulak Hord. To co-create that deep of an illusion, within someone else's consciousness, is a feat that no one that I've ever heard of can perform--or equal." She sighed.

"It could be that we're all being played for fools, and we need more than the hope that we're not being played for fools in order to continue! Is there some kind of test we can do with Varik and Light, besides killing them outright?"

Avriela took light's offered hand and was able to get to her feet and smiled in thanks. She turned to look at Corsail and shook her head.

"I can assured that I've never met any of you before and therefor have no way of being in league with anyone."

"You can't really be falling for this can you?"

Zarev blinked in confusion as he heard Corsail's theory. Wow...Hes really thought this out. Of course none of it can be true but still...it's almost as if hes suffering from extreme paranoia.

He looked over at Light and Traver. "Light helped us in finally defeating Tulak Hord and I'm sure I would sense some sort of killing intent if he and Traver were here to kill us but right now I don't sense anything close to that."

Shan

Vlalkor was sitting in the medbay making sure that Kif was alright when he heard the sound of the holoterminal activating.

"Hello? Is anyone reading me?"

Vlalkor made sure that Kif was stable and headed over to the holoterminal and saw a holographic image of Grand Master Satele Shan.

"Master Jedi. This is Vlalkor, I'm from Havoc Squad and have been assigned to assist in the mission. The rest of the group is currently investigating some sort of distress call. They should be returning shortly."

The Grand Master nodded once. "We have a new lead on Master Voleran. One of our knights managed to catch his trail for a short time. He stole a ship from Tatooine. The knight managed to hit his ship with a tracking device but we lost the signal a few hours after he entered hyperspace. Based on his trajectory we believe he is either heading to Nar Shaadda or Balmorra. Once the others come back let them know about this new development. We'll contact you with future updates."

Vlalkor nodded and the holoterminal shut off.

Unknown Location

"My lord, it appears that the assassin we dispatched has failed in her mission. I sensed her death through the force. We believe that one of the jedi that is traveling with the group is responsible."

The mysterious figure smiled darkly. "But we do have an accurate count on how many there are, Am I correct?"

"Yes my lord. We now known how many there are, their skills in combat and detailed information on the ship they are traveling on. We should be able to track them wherever they go."

The figure thought for a moment as he thought about their style of combat and with the ease that they had defeated his first drone.

"Voleran is heading to Balmorra so that I can influence the mind of the Sith overseer that leads the planet through him. Once that is complete, he will go straight to Yivoren so that one of my drones can obtain the data."

The figure thought for another moment. "We can't risk this group catching up with him. We recently managed to take control of the mind of one of the Dark Council, correct?"

"Yes my lord. Darth Sevairis is a new member on the council and was corrupted before he joined. He is extremley formidable in combat and has been charged with the murder of seven jedi masters during the war and nearly a dozen knights."

"Dispatch him to Balmorra. I want these insects dealt with."

"My name is Avriela. And I am NOT Sith!"

Avirela's voice echoed in Varik's head.

I showed mercy and compassion to my enemies and that brought unwanted attention to myself. As a result, I am now considered a disease among Sith."

Maybe she was telling the truth, Varik thought to himself.

"I met Jedi like you, Jedi who wished me dead and Jedi who attacked me on sight. And every one of them still live."

No, he thought to himself as his speeder rushed across the dunes.

Sith always lie, always manipulate. Once she heads toward the ship, she will betray and kill us all.

He parked his speeder bike in the alley of one of the buildings, and then boarded the Satele.

He clutched at the double-bladed lightsaber in his grip. And I'll be damned if I allow that to happen.

Vlalkor was just about to head to the medbay when he saw Varik board the ship. He quickly walked over and motioned to the holoterminal.

"While you were gone we recieved a transmission from Tython, it was Grand Master Satele Shan actually. It seems that the Jedi briefly managed to track Voleran. It seems that hes either heading to Nar Shaddaa or Balmorra. The Grand Master is going to contact us with future updates as they come."

"The bottom line is that Master Voleran is no longer on Tatooine. We need to get the others and try and find out if which planet he's heading to."

Dune Sea

Zarev was watching the assassin and Corsail with a careful eye. He didn't want anyone to start shooting and he didn't want the assassin to start using her force abilities.

He was about to speak to try and calm everyone down when he suddenly felt a sharp pain go through his mind as a voice screamed through his mind. The voice was devoid of emotion same as the last time he had heard it but it was very loud.

STOP ME...STOP ME...I CAN'T STOP

Zarev clutched his head as he dropped to his knees.

That voice...it's the same as before...but it's so much louder now! It hurts!

"While you were gone we recieved a transmission from Tython, it was Grand Master Satele Shan actually. It seems that the Jedi briefly managed to track Voleran. It seems that hes either heading to Nar Shaddaa or Balmorra. The Grand Master is going to contact us with future updates as they come. The bottom line is that Master Voleran is no longer on Tatooine. We need to get the others and try and find out if which planet he's heading to."

"Nar Shaddaa's too obvious. My gut tells me that they're heading to Balmorra.", Varik replied.

He walked to the other side of the room.

"Oh, and I almost forgot. Remember that 'distress call'? Turns out it was a Sith. Per'dra thinks we could trust her. I think she's going to betray us all. Keep an eye on her when she boards the ship, will ya? I already confiscated her lightsaber.", he added, holding up her lightsaber.

Zarev clutched his head as he dropped to his knees.

Corsail saw Zarev fall to his knees, and glared at Avriela.

"She attacking him with her force powers! Kill the sith before it's too late!" He yelled. He snapped his second blaster from his belt and fired a spray of blaster bolts towards Avriela. Jumping back behind one of the speeder bikes for cover, he let off another spray towards Light and Traver.

Light, standing beside Avriela, quickly snapped his sabers to his hands, activating them and defending both himself and Avriela using the Soresu stance that had kept him alive with blaster weilding opponents. He carefully deflected the bolts away from himself and Avriela, mindfully avoiding the bystanders.

Using the force to sense where Corsail hid, Light pinned him down by moving the speeder bike with the force, so that it came to rest atop him. He calmly walked to where Corsail now lay, and put his saber at this paranoid man's throat. "Try that again, and I will not hesitate to kill you."

He turned his lightsabers off, returned them to his belt, and looked around to see how the others had faired, minus Traver who had quietly disappeared.

"Zarev!" Per'dra fell to her knees as well as her Jedi ally collapsed in the throes of whatever force--or person--was trying to contact him. "Stay with me!" She grasped him around the waist as he thrashed. Whether this presence was Avriela's or not, she could not discern, but right now she wanted to keep Zarev as safe as he could be under the circumstances. "Talk to me. Come on." Should I enter his mind? I can't, for two reasons: 1) he has to LET me in, and 2) he doesn't seem possessed like Varik did. Instead, it's like he's being completely stunned by the "loudness" of whoever's trying to communicate with him through the Force. She repeated her command: "Talk to me, Zarev..."

Avriela eyes widened in shock as the Corsail fired his blaster at her and sighed heavily in relief as Light ignited his lightsaber and deflected the shots away from her.

"Thank you...I don't know why but I couldn't sense that attack coming, not that I would have been much good without my lightsaber."

"Talk to me, Zarev..."

Zarev muttered in pain as he attempted to block at least some of the effect of the voice from his mind.

"It...It's in my head..." He whispered. "I can hear him screaming in my head..."

Avriela couldn't help but overhear what he was whispering. She was using what little bit of her force strength to highten her senses just in case Corsail tried something again.

"Hold on...I swear this won't hurt at all." She said quietly as she moved past Corsail and placed her hands on his head. She turned to look at Per'dra and took a deep breath. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt him."

Avriela began to focus what little remained of her energy and used the force to reach out and see what was in Zarev's head.

The voice...it's causing you so much pain. Her voice echoed gently through his mind as she tried to focus what little remained of her power to build up a sort of mental wall between his mind and the voice.

Just a little bit more...she thought desperatly as she tried to finish the work only to find her strength failing her.

Her eyes were still closed and she didn't take her hands off of his head as she spoke quietly. "Jedi...I need help. I'm trying to build a mental wall between his mind and this voice. My strength is failing me and I don't think I'll be able to finish this on my own..."

"Help me. Help me save your friend."

Corsail pushed the speeder bike up with his legs and slid out from under it. He had almost wanted to detonate a grenade in Lights face when he had walked over to him, but decided it would have been equally damaging to his own health.

He saw Per'dra and the sith crouching beside Zarev, "What is this???" Corsail couldn't believe what he was seeing "Is the sith your long lost friend or something?"

Light moved up behind Avriela and placed a hand on her shoulder. Though his fight with Horde had taken a bit out of him, Light had recouperated, as it was more a mental action using the Force. Recent actions had become commonplace to him and didn't tired him.

He gave strength to this unknown individual having gleaned her intent with the Force. He removed his hand once he deemed she had enough strength to help Zarev and still be able to support herself untill the party arrived at the ship.

After this, he turned toward Corsail, giving him a wink, and moved to get back on his speeder where he would wait for the others to mount up so they could return to the ship.

Archived