Home

Problem with a Model

harIII

I'm fooling around with a model right now and I'm just experimenting with a character. Just to see if it worked I moved a few parts on a droid around and tested to see if it worked in the game before i did a bunch of work for nothing. Fortunately it works, however the problem is that it doesn't have any animations. How do I get it to use animations?

The model I'm playing with is the Builder Droid that we saw in the Dantooine Ruins. So far I just re-positioned the gun part to be in the middle of the torso. Just a matter of selecting the parts and moving them. I'm working with 3ds and there is a slider with about 1300 plus frames which appeared to be some kind of weird animation clip, a lot of the frames just made the model look out of whack. I'm not sure what you mean by exporting the animations, if there is something that I have to do with this that isn't done by default, then I'm guess this is where the problem lies.

I'm having trouble trying to find a download link to version 6.0, would you be kind enough to post a link or upload it for me?

----- EDIT -----

Please ignore that last post, I found a link I believe.

http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

There you go. You're going to have to start all over and import it again.

EDIT: It seems you found it. Well, I would try again from the start. Import the model using the extracted MDL and MDX files, and make sure that MDLOps 6.0 does it with the animations on. Then import it into 3DS Max. I would go ahead an export it out again, with animations, and compile it with MDLOps and test it out in-game to make sure that it works. Then, if it doesn't, find out what's going on, and then make changes once you've figured out the process.

Okay, started over from scratch and my game keeps crashing whenever I go to test it. Here's what I did:

1. Extracted the mdl, mdx, and tga files with KOTOR Tool

2. Used mdlops 6.0 to "read and write model" with the "extract animations" box checked with the freshly extracted mdl file

3. Imported the model into 3ds max

4. Just moved the body of the builder droid so that I can see a visual change

5. Exported by using "export model+anim"

6. Used mdlops 6.0 to "read and write model" with the "extract animations" box checked with the freshly exported mdl file

7. Got rid of the "-k2-bin" tags in both mdl and mdx files that were made with mdlops

8. Placed model files in the override

9. Tested

10. Equipped item with a disguise attribute of the Builder Droid and game crashed

Do you know what's going SS?

6. Used mdlops 6.0 to "read and write model"

Oh; I think I know part of the problem. Before I say more, did you only move existing vertexes or did you also create some too?

If you only moved existing vertexes, take note before exporting which parts of the model you changed. (i.e. For Kira Sadow in EotF, I changed TopHair and Bangs to get rid of the bangs in front of her face.) Then, export the new ascii model from your modeling program. (Selecting Export Geom Only; Also, if you export in the same folder as the original ascii model, name it something like [modelname]-New to avoid overwriting the original ascii model.) Next, save the original .mdl & .mdx from KotOR Tool. Now, open Taina's replacer tool. Click "Open ASCII Models". (Note: for some reason, it prefers double clicking the ascii models rather than simply selecting the ascii models before clicking okay.) Now, deselect all the vertex coordinates (and/or texture coordinates) except the ones that you changed on the original model. Click "Start Replacing" and choose the old .mdl and .mdx and save it away from the same folder as the original .mdl and .mdx (unless you change the .mdl and .mdx name.) Now, put the new .mdl and .mdx in your Override and it should work. :D Hope that helps your problem.

Archived