Home

Making a new area in 3DSMAX

darthtyren

I'm following this tutorial:

The problem lies in the part where you export the base (4:58-5:09). I have sanity checks unchecked, but when I tell it to export geom only, a MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception comes up saying "--Runtime error: Filestream cannot create: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2012\scripts\nwmax\sanity\plot_sanitycheck.txt"

This also comes up in a different wndow:

mdlextn = "mdl.ascii"
   		    else
   		        mdlextn = "mdl"
			model_name = node.name

-- we need to make sure that the model_name has no tabs in it
			-- as it will break things. The rule will be tabs will be changed to '_'
			if (matchPattern node.name pattern:"*	") then
			(
   				messageBox "Model name contains a tab. ERROR!! Processing Halted."
   				return -1
			)

if not g_ismax then format "<snoopstart file=%%.%>%" export_path model_name mdlextn g_delim to:g_strBuffer
    		-- we can now do some sanity checks and record the results for review

if not g_ismax then (
    		   format "<snoopstart file=%%_sanitycheck.txt>%" (scriptsPath+"nwmax/sanity/") model_name g_delim to:g_strBuffer
			) else (
				g_strBuffer = createFile (scriptsPath+"nwmax/sanity/" + model_name + "_sanitycheck.txt")
			) -- end ismax

if chk_check.checked then
	    		bSanityCheck = SanityCheck node
    		else
    			bSanityCheck = 1

Anyone know what's going on? There shouldn't be a sanity check needed, correct?

That doesn't exactly fix my problem. It's pretty insistent on doing a sanity check when one's not needed, and I did disable sanity checks. The problem is I can't export the model as long as it says it can't write the file.

First, is your nwmax folder in the scripts folder labeled "nwmax" (without the quote marks, and lower-case)? Secondly, did you set your 3ds Max to run as administrator? If not, then close 3ds Max (if you haven't saved, then save your work) and make those changes. After that, start up 3ds Max again and, after opening your file, try exporting again. (Learned about those solutions from this thread by redrob41.)

Another exception occurred, but the file is now on my desktop. I'll keep this topic open, just in case.

EDIT

And for good reason. Now I'm trying to load it in KAurora, but it says unhandled exception has occurred. Something about object reference, I think.

Another exception occurred, but the file is now on my desktop. I'll keep this topic open, just in case.

EDIT

And for good reason. Now I'm trying to load it in KAurora, but it says unhandled exception has occurred. Something about object reference, I think.

Make sure you got the latest version: LINKY

This one works on Win7. I used to get that error on the older versions of Kaurora. It just crashed no matter what I did.

I have that. It doesn't say anything about not being a valid application.

Here's what it says:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at KAuroraEditor.KotorMDL.LoadAsciiModelGeometry(StreamReader sr, String curline)
  at KAuroraEditor.KotorMDL.LoadFromAscii(String dirpath, String filename, Int16 version)
  at KAuroraEditor.KAuroraMain.loadFromAsciiFileToolStripMenuItem1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
KAuroraEditor
   Assembly Version: 0.4.0.0
   Win32 Version: 0.4.0.0
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Kotor%20Tool/KAuroraEditor/KAuroraEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.276 built by: RTMGDR
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Accessibility
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
Microsoft.DirectX
   Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
   Win32 Version: 5.04.00.2904
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.dll
Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D
   Assembly Version: 1.0.2902.0
   Win32 Version: 9.05.132.0000
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D/1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll

It's a shame, because I was looking forward to finally modeling, and this happens.

I have that. It doesn't say anything about not being a valid application.

It's a shame, because I was looking forward to finally modeling, and this happens.

Hmmm, I can't make much out of that... Though instance of an object...

Did you copy around a few things in your 3Ds Max scene? Did you pick the option as an instance?

You might have to convert those instances to full meshes. Not sure if Kaurora or the export script likes instances of 3D objects.

The error you're getting is due to some problem within the exported ASCII file for your model; it's either missing something which should be there or there's some weird unexpected values in some fields. Send me the ASCII and I will try doing a debug run to see if I can pinpoint the problem.

OK, magnus got my file, and he told me:

There are only the first few lines of what is supposed to be there. My guess is that some big problem happened during the export phase from 3dsMax, and KAurora certainly cannot work with those first few lines of information.

I tried exporting again, and it said something about "Unknown property: diffusemap in multi/sub-object" followed by a long list of... i think material properties.

The export script of NWmax only accepts the standard material from 3Ds Max. Using a differant sort of material in your scene might cause these export "errors". It shouldn't crash though.

If you want, I'm willing to have a peek at your 3Ds Max file, can't promise I'll find what's wrong. But I've had oddball problems before with 3D, which seemed to appear out of nowhere :lol:

I already showed it to magnus.

EDIT

I assigned standard material to all properties. It seems not even no material won't work. I was able to load the model in KAurora without exception. Now I continue. Just like last time, this thread is staying open so the modelling gods can answer any more questions I might have.

Archived