Home

I took the plunge.

Darth Avlectus

That's right. Black Friday deal. It's 3 AM here and I'm about to go to bed.

I used up the last of my wiggle room of that 32% of max limit I put on using credit. Dun' got m'self somethin'. It was a real fight in my head...I was actually really pulling for AMD FX-8350 despite it not having integrated graphics (was going to get the mobo, graphics and chip), and it actually was decently competitive with the i5 2500K on benchmarks.

Well, well, well. Wouldn't ya know I was just about to make the decision...then decide to check TigerDirect *one* last time and come to find...Core i5 3570K (just a scoche better than 2500K) has suddenly dropped from $220 to $180!!!

Nothing changes your mind like a sudden price drop.

So it's official. Construction on my new machine has now begun!

Obtained:

-Intel Core i5 3570K

-MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard

Stay tuned.

beavis_and_butthead_headbanging.gif

No, they're both down in Southern Cali. Santa Clara/Silicon valley and Orange county (Basically somewhere in the clusterf*** that is LA). Only when I go down there to visit I might see. I live in rural El Dorado county, rather much closer to Sacramento. Wish they had one up here.

You're thinking of when I first discovered Fry's in San Diego (only to realize there's two near me in Sac). Just went xmas shopping there in Roseville actually.

Checked TD only 12 hours later for the 3570K--completely sold out of the individual part.

When debt meter cools off considerably, probably at least 4 months (3 if I luck out and snow decides to dump like crazy), I'll make another move.

Next to get 8GB of ram. The new board will accommodate up to 32GB.

Currently looking at frozenCPU and NCIX.US for cases and liquid cooling. Though now that you mention micro city, I'm adding that one to my checklist.

For now, I have a 355W PSU that will *probably* handle things okay for basic setup. Eventually a good power supply (quite possibly a 1000W to 1250W monster for the eventual add-ons).

Was looking at BenQ monitors, for their insanely fast refresh rates (second to NONE)--but not necessarily prettiest rendering.

I like the one that pivots 90 degrees either way to become vertical, but holy **** that's expensive! All of them in fact. So for the time being, I'll just go with something a bit more affordable when I can.

OK, I thought you lived near a Micro Center. Never mind, then. $180's just about the best price you'll find online for a 3570K.

Memory: Look no further than this. There are cheaper kits out there, but this is the finest memory available. Don't let its rated speeds and timings fool you; mine is doing 1870MHz 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1.5v. With looser timings it can go much faster (2100MHz+). Other people with more modern motherboards have gotten that kind of performance on much lower voltage, but my older X58 board doesn't have incremental voltage settings under 1.5v. People are even getting the 1T command rate (which increases memory bandwidth by roughly 1/3) with 4 sticks, which was unheard of until this memory came along. An added bonus is that it's very low-profile. It doesn't even protrude above the clasps on the memory slots, so you won't have to worry about it getting in the way of any CPU heatsink that you're using, no matter how low it sits (though you may have to install the memory before you install the heatsink). It's just amazing stuff.

Speaking of CPU heatsinks, I noticed that you're looking into water cooling. Don't. There's still the very real danger of coolant leakage, which will instantly kill your computer, and the pump will wear out over time, meaning you'll have to buy a whole new unit when it does. The only thing that will wear out on a good air cooler is the fan, which is easily, and cheaply, replaceable. An air cooler will also provide additional airflow over your motherboard chipset, cooling it as well. Take the $50+ you were going to spend on water cooling and check out Thermalright's budget line of coolers. I recommend the True Spirit 140 (the budget version of the Thermalright Archon), but only if you get a case that's wide enough to fit it (it's very tall). Otherwise, go with the Macho. Both of those coolers (especially the True Spirit 140) are as good as mid- to high-grade water coolers (and much better than the cheap water coolers), without any of the caveats of water cooling. They are also very quiet. Even with a second fan and fan clips (which I recommend), either one is $55 shipped right now, and you won't find quieter, more effective CPU cooling at that price anywhere.

If you want a good cheap air heatsink, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is $15 after rebate at Newegg right now. It would be a suitable replacement for the Intel stock heatsink (which is crap) and is sufficient for mild overclocking. It's nowhere near in the same league as the Thermalrights that I linked to above, but it's a quality part.

As for power supplies, I wouldn't trust my hardware to "probably". Luckily, you won't have to spend $100, or even half that much, to get a quality PSU that will support an overclocked CPU and a high-end graphics card (or 2 mid-grade cards in SLI or X-Fire). This is my PSU. It's not modular, and it's kinda fugly, but it's a freaking beast. Best of all, I got it for $40 and I've seen it go for as little as $33.

As far as monitors go, why is refresh rate so important to you? Anything over 60Hz only matters if you're playing around with Nvidia's 3D gimmick, which, like all 3D, is highly overrated and not worth the extra cost. If you ask me, a monitor's panel type is far more important than its refresh rate. IPS panels have gotten so cheap that most people shouldn't even be considering crappy TN panels for any monitor up to 24". The advantage of IPS over TN is better color accuracy, and, more importantly (to me, at least), far better viewing angles. Don't like how most monitors wash out unless you're looking at them directly? Don't get a TN panel. I'd need to know your budget before I can make any recommendations, however.

OK, I thought you lived near a Micro Center. Never mind, then. $180's just about the best price you'll find online for a 3570K.

...They went for cheaper?

Anyhow, I'm looking at physical dimensions of the CPU...Bummer this doesn't match. :( That'd be a hell of a deal for a little extra helper part.

Memory: Look no further than this. There are cheaper kits out there, but this is the finest memory available. Don't let its rated speeds and timings fool you; mine is doing 1870MHz 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1.5v. With looser timings it can go much faster (2100MHz+). Other people with more modern motherboards have gotten that kind of performance on much lower voltage, but my older X58 board doesn't have incremental voltage settings under 1.5v. People are even getting the 1T command rate (which increases memory bandwidth by roughly 1/3) with 4 sticks, which was unheard of until this memory came along. An added bonus is that it's very low-profile. It doesn't even protrude above the clasps on the memory slots, so you won't have to worry about it getting in the way of any CPU heatsink that you're using, no matter how low it sits (though you may have to install the memory before you install the heatsink). It's just amazing stuff.

Hm. Well, that's certainly impressive!

Speaking of CPU heatsinks, I noticed that you're looking into water cooling. Don't. There's still the very real danger of coolant leakage, which will instantly kill your computer, and the pump will wear out over time, meaning you'll have to buy a whole new unit when it does.
Well, not as a permanent solution. Only for occasional O.C.'ing. Otherwise I'd utilize some other method for the rest of the time. Truth be told, I'm going more for longevity so I'm considering undervolting.

I know what you mean about faulty parts leaking. Frankly, automotive accessories are FAR superior for liquid cooling than are the products available for computers. I have a whole bunch of implements available. Still, the dying pump thing is not pretty even with implements to warn you since none (with a practical price) have any.

The only thing that will wear out on a good air cooler is the fan, which is easily, and cheaply, replaceable. An air cooler will also provide additional airflow over your motherboard chipset, cooling it as well. Take the $50+ you were going to spend on water cooling and check out Thermalright's budget line of coolers. I recommend the True Spirit 140 (the budget version of the Thermalright Archon), but only if you get a case that's wide enough to fit it (it's very tall). Otherwise, go with the Macho. Both of those coolers (especially the True Spirit 140) are as good as mid- to high-grade water coolers (and much better than the cheap water coolers), without any of the caveats of water cooling. They are also very quiet. Even with a second fan and fan clips (which I recommend), either one is $55 shipped right now, and you won't find quieter, more effective CPU cooling at that price anywhere.

I did not know about that. Will look into these options. Wasn't aware air cooling could yet compete with liquid. Though along that line I was thinking more transformer oil because of its non conductivity rather than water or such. But whatevs.

Well, I'm probably going to get a case that will allow me to poke around here and there without too much trouble--and CLEAN. Having done housekeeping, if there's one thing I can't stand when I'm cleaning or wiping something out from the inside, it's close-in spaces hostile to maneuvering and movement with lots of stuff in the way. Plus besides being unseemly (hah, like my workshop is much better), lots of space impedance doesn't make for very good flow for cooling .

If you want a good cheap air heatsink, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is $15 after rebate at Newegg right now. It would be a suitable replacement for the Intel stock heatsink (which is crap) and is sufficient for mild overclocking. It's nowhere near in the same league as the Thermalrights that I linked to above, but it's a quality part.

Yeah stock parts are crap, often in my experience.

You will note my mobo is mid size, BUT I do see that with increased size of cooling, also comes a possible need for a increased size in tower.

Obviously I'm not too particular on pretty lights and outcover...but still I am known for changing the color of these things when bored though. Perhaps I do like some. :devsmoke: Looking at metal cases, lighter and heavier.

As for power supplies, I wouldn't trust my hardware to "probably". Luckily, you won't have to spend $100, or even half that much, to get a quality PSU that will support an overclocked CPU and a high-end graphics card (or 2 mid-grade cards in SLI or X-Fire). This is my PSU. It's not modular, and it's kinda fugly, but it's a freaking beast. Best of all, I got it for $40 and I've seen it go for as little as $33.

Good to know. I'll probably decide once I have chosen a graphics card. Not in a hurry though.

As far as monitors go, why is refresh rate so important to you? Anything over 60Hz only matters if you're playing around with Nvidia's 3D gimmick, which, like all 3D, is highly overrated and not worth the extra cost.

I still do like action games on occasion, so lag obviously isn't too welcome. I do occasional video editing which includes animations, and occasionally even 3d models.

Though I'll admit my current machine eMachines T5274 handles things like gmax just fine...

If you ask me, a monitor's panel type is far more important than its refresh rate. IPS panels have gotten so cheap that most people shouldn't even be considering crappy TN panels for any monitor up to 24". The advantage of IPS over TN is better color accuracy, and, more importantly (to me, at least), far better viewing angles. Don't like how most monitors wash out unless you're looking at them directly? Don't get a TN panel. I'd need to know your budget before I can make any recommendations, however.

Well until my credit cools off and the holidays are over with (I didn't get good credit by spending like our president), I'm sorta on break for now.

Figure if I've already spent just over $400 (gotta factor in shipping and warranty) I have between $600-1100 left pending some considerations... I presume at least $1000 but no more than $1500 for making a respectable, if not enviable machine.

As it is I didn't realize the i5 2500K was so ...sought after let alone what I got hold of. Without any cockiness I told my friends IRL about the deal I got and they're all jealous as hell right now. I guess that's being "hated, but in a good way" as they say.

• 2 months later...

One of the best, if not the best budget power supplies is now $30 after mail-in rebate till the end of the month. It is made for Antec by Seasonic, which is widely regarded as the best PSU manufacturer overall.

To give you an idea of what it can do: it powered my main rig for about 3 years, which consists of a 1st generation Core i7 930 overclocked to 4.1GHz (a huge power hog), 12GBs of RAM, two SSDs in RAID 0, a 1TB platter and two SLIed GTX 460s that draw about 150W apiece. It now serves as my spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived