Home

Locating the Sith "Sentinel" War Droid's Rifle Skin

Sith Holocron

Howdy folks.

I'm looking for the skin for the gun / rifle for the Sith War Droid (AKA Sentinel Droid) as seen in KotOR and TSL. That would be this fellow below.

Repwardroid2.jpg

What I'd like to do is redo the texture for that fellow's particular gun. As you can see in this picture, that gun could you a little more love.

k200003.jpg

Just to point out, I don't need the droid's skin. I've already heard that the KotOR version of the droid's skin is of higher resolution than the one in TSL.

Thanks, DarthParametric! That's exactly the information I needed.

I picked CS2 thanks to Dak Drexl's thread about it and I picked up all of the other programs on Quanon's UV walkthrough. Now I'll need to learn Photoshop which I've never used before.

Luckily, I picked Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book from Borders at one of its last going out of business sales. Somehow I knew I was eventually going to have opportunity to use that book!

Hopefully, this will eventually mean more skins for the games but don't hold me to that statement!

If the droid uses a war droid appearance, the gun is part of the droid's skin ;) (Found that out when doing OB-48 for Echo of the Force.)

The droid might require that gun in game but it's still a separate skin and model. To test it for myself, I extracted w_rptnblstr_001 as a TGA, reshaded it an absurd shade of green and stuck it in my Override. Here's the result:

GreenGun_zpse893c742.jpg

That's not saying I might not skin the droid down the line but I don't need to in order to improve the gun's appearance.

That's true for the assassin droid model like the one in the Korriban tomb in k1.

If I recall that droid correctly, that's the one that has a gun permanently attached to his back that's in Marka Ragnos' tomb?

Checking . . . yeah that must be the one. Dak, were you referring to only the gun on his back or was it that gun and the one in its hands?

Back on topic, DP has pointed out the the best versions of the programs I'll need for my little test. I'll report back when I have something for you all.

• 4 weeks later...

What are you testing?

For the record, I already mapped out the UVW of the gun model and found that many parts of the texture mirror, (which makes it hard locate individual pieces)

and the most important visuals (the barrel and optics) are so small that no matter how big you scale it, there is still a significant lack of quality. I suggest that someone remaps the whole thing if you are to get the level of detail you are seeking.

What are you testing?

For the record, I already mapped out the UVW of the gun model and found that many parts of the texture mirror, (which makes it hard locate individual pieces)

and the most important visuals (the barrel and optics) are so small that no matter how big you scale it, there is still a significant lack of quality. I suggest that someone remaps the whole thing if you are to get the level of detail you are seeking.

One of my original goals was trying to figure out how to extract the model so I could skin in the future. I'm not a talented skinner but learning the process was something that intrigued me. The mirroring of the gun became apparent once I finally got the TGA. When you look at the rifle in game, you'll also note that it clips through one of the sentry droid's arms.

Seeing as the gun is (most likely) only for my own use, I certainly wouldn't want to trouble anyone to remap the whole thing. It wouldn't be fair to have someone else do the heavy lifting while I only slapped a few things on it.

To give you an idea how bad my current skin is, I present to you a choppy GIF!

3step_zpsddc77334.gif

There's an animated red light right above the droid's hand on the trigger. In order to get somewhat close to the muzzle of the gun as seen in the concept art in the OP, I used a picture of grey aluminum siding. LOL

Well okay. I see you got a cleaner texture on it to work, so Kudos! I actually also used a picture of aluminum siding for my gun mod as well :) must be a theme or something... On the topic of animating textures though, does it animate all of the time, or only when firing? I ask, because I've been wanting to make the heavy repeating blaster (gatling/chain gun) animate like it is rotating whenever it plays the firing animation. (akin to the rotating barrel of a real gatling gun)

I would assume the texture animation would be continuous, cycling through a number of frames. If you've seen the animated saber blades, that's what they do. I don't think it would be possible to animate a texture based on firing, unless there was a script that could change textures based on events. Seems unlikely, but there is that bit at the start of TSL where you wake up and the monitor screens activate in sequence. Start looking there to see how they did that.

Archived