Home

Video card drivers are outdated?

VanillaFrostAxe

I started to replay KotOR two days ago, but I had to save my game every minute to avoid crashing. I won't go any further until this video problem is resolved. I don't want to save frequently when doing missions on Taris. Are my video card drivers really out of date? Because it doesn't seem like it. The way I see it, the required video drivers are obsolete. In other words, the error doesn't make sense.

I scanned my hardware. All the other items have passed but video has failed. I was directed to nvidia.com to download new drivers, with the search terms already filled in, but the installation had failed and not even the compatibility change was the solution. System information wants Detonator 45.23 drivers or better. Is there a solution to this video problem?

System properties:

• Windows 7 Ultimate
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor 2.70 GHz
  • 64-bit Operating system
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512
  • 8.00 GB (RAM)

Although my video card is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512, system information says RDPDD Chained DD 4096 MB, if that means anything.

Well unfortunately I don't know how to fix your crashing problem, sorry. :(

But I will tell you that your video card drivers are not out of date, in fact they are better than the ones the game was intended to be played on when it was originally released.

These are my system specs:

MODEL: 15.6" HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

PROCESSOR: AMD A8-3500M APU

GRAPHICS: Radeon HD 6620G 1.5 GHz

MEMORY: 640GB HDD

RAM: 8GB

When I do a system scan it says that my video drivers are out of date too, yet I am able to run KotOR at maximum graphics (Screen Resolution 1024x768 @ 60Hz, Shadows and Grass, High Texture Quality, 8 Sample AA, Anisotropy - 16X, Frame Buffer Effects, and Soft Shadows) with high FPS and my laptop runs hot, but not too hot.

Your computer has a better OS, processor, and graphics than mine so if I can run the game with ease then you should be able to as well I think. I wish I had more info for you, but hopefully someone else can help you out more.

These games are so old that they can't ID newer hardware, so the "driver out of date" warning can be safely ignored.

Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and "swconfig.exe". For each file, right-click on it, select "properties", then "compatibility", check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

Well unfortunately I don't know how to fix your crashing problem, sorry. :(

But I will tell you that your video card drivers are not out of date, in fact they are better than the ones the game was intended to be played on when it was originally released.

These are my system specs:

MODEL: 15.6" HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

PROCESSOR: AMD A8-3500M APU

GRAPHICS: Radeon HD 6620G 1.5 GHz

MEMORY: 640GB HDD

RAM: 8GB

When I do a system scan it says that my video drivers are out of date too, yet I am able to run KotOR at maximum graphics (Screen Resolution 1024x768 @ 60Hz, Shadows and Grass, High Texture Quality, 8 Sample AA, Anisotropy - 16X, Frame Buffer Effects, and Soft Shadows) with high FPS and my laptop runs hot, but not too hot.

Your computer has a better OS, processor, and graphics than mine so if I can run the game with ease then you should be able to as well I think. I wish I had more info for you, but hopefully someone else can help you out more.

I just ran KotOR with maximum graphics like you do, and it stopped crashing. Thank you!

Oh really? Awesome! I didn't actually give you any real way to fix your problem, but it seems like it was just a fluke. However I do not have any mods installed and I use the default screen size and resolution, so it's possible the crashing could have been caused by one of those things. If you ever have a compatibility problem in the future you can include the report as Q has recommended. To better your chances of having the game run again in the future you can do what Q said as well. If you have a KotOR desktop icon you can just right click it and go to Properties and then continue on with Q's instructions. Glad KotOR works have fun!

• 8 months later...

Archived