Home

Award Presentation Ceremony!!!!

RoyTordesLegend

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bah, Pascal. C, C++ and Assembly, that's where it's at.

I did that and that and that, among other things. </brag> :p

SCUMMVM!! That was YOU?! :eyepop :eyepop :eyepop *worships ground you walk on belatedly*

Why did I think it was bgbennyboy (spelling?) or something?

Would it be too late to say what an awesome job you did there? :giggle1: And of course you can do phones - I had a scummvm on my Samsung (before it prematurely died :dozey:)

Edit: OMG, I know this'll only ever stay as an idea but I would pay top dollar for a Siri that sounded like Guybrush Threepwood :giggle1: Heck even any of the other characters - can you imagine asking LeChuck about the weather outside? :giggle1: "Arrr it be days like this that make ye glad to be dead!" :rofl:

SCUMMVM!! That was YOU?!

Not single-handedly, no. I'm just a part of the team, since 2006. And I never did any work on the SCUMM engine (the one driving the LucasArts adventures).

My mainstay is the gob-Engine, for Coktel Vision's game. Among them the Gobliiins series, Woodruff and Urban Runner. And the Addy / Adi / Addy Junior / Adibou learning games for (pre)school children, but those are not yet working in ScummVM.

I also had my hands in the audio part of the tinsel-Engine driving the Discworld games, the VMD video format that's also used by FMV Sierra games (since Sierra bought Coktel Vision) like Gabriel Knight 2, a few Amiga-related music formats and a few small things here and there.

Really, I'm just a small part of the team. For the full list, see this page: http://scummvm.org/credits/ :)

As you can see, we're a big bunch, and all kinda segregated into different sub-teams for engines and ports. There's overlap, of course, with people helping out on other engines, or moving on to a second or third engine when one is finished. And the common stuff used by all engines is basically handled by a who-knows-most-about-this or who-needs-it-first-for-an-engine basis.

And I for one don't know jack about the SCUMM engine, or anything else LucasArts-related. :)

Why did I think it was bgbennyboy (spelling?) or something?

bgbennyboy created several tools, like alternative launcher that make some original games work on more modern Windows systems, and game resource explores and the like. So he's like a cousin to the ScummVM team, if you will. :)

I had a scummvm on my Samsung

That wasn't me either. We have a whole fleet of awesome porters. :)

but it's scummvm, and any involvement makes him a hero....so I can't....

....oh go on then

Indeed! :D Gobliiins and Ado are familliar to me, I replayed the former a while back using Scumm! :D It's an awesome vm :cool: Ooh one of these days, see if you and your team can integrate the support of Fraps or something! It'd make it a lot easier to get the game footage!! :D :D

Fraps is non-portable (Windows-only) and moreover, commercial and proprietary software (i.e. not released under the terms of a free/libre open source software license). Forget it.

It would probably be a workable idea to rework the DOSBox screen capture code (ZMBV) for ScummVM. I'm not sure how well the DOSBox code would integrate into ScummVM's code structure, though.

Or perhaps something based on DXA. DXA came from the Amiga version of Feeble Files, and ScummVM extended it with motion-detection to be a bit more space-saving. We used DXA in the past to redistribute some video files (with permission by the copyright holders) that were in SMK format on the orginal game disks, when SMK was not yet reverse-engineered.

In either case, that sounds like it's also a good potential task for next year's Google Summer of Code.

As long as it can record game footage I'm down! :giggle1:

I still have my brother's Commodore 64 somewhere and it still works! Not much point though since my parents sold all the 9 and a quarter inch floppy games years ago, much to my extreme dismay :dozey: Now for all intents and purposes it's just a bulky looking keyboard.

As long as it can record game footage I'm down! :giggle1:

I still have my brother's Commodore 64 somewhere and it still works! Not much point though since my parents sold all the 9 and a quarter inch floppy games years ago, much to my extreme dismay :dozey: Now for all intents and purposes it's just a bulky looking keyboard.

Floppys, bah, you need one of these:-

238277,xcitefun-commodore-pc-2.jpg

238276,xcitefun-commodore-pc-3.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHA I would SO get that if it existed! :giggle1:

It DOES exist, and was for sale at one point, but I can't currently find any currently for sale (although I haven't looked very hard), so it's always possible they made a few, it flopped and they bonfired the stock.

http://www.retrofusion.org.uk/article/796/just-because-its-retro-does-not-mean-its-any-good/

It DOES exist, and was for sale at one point

Good LORD!! :freakout: I didn't realize!! :freakout: :freakout: How would that even work? You put in a DVD collection of Commodore 64 games on it and then it would read it as if it was the normal thing to do? *skims through article* Oh they turned it into a PC! Huh I wonder how they managed to compress it to that size...

Good LORD!! :freakout: I didn't realize!! :freakout: :freakout: How would that even work? You put in a DVD collection of Commodore 64 games on it and then it would read it as if it was the normal thing to do? *skims through article* Oh they turned it into a PC! Huh I wonder how they managed to compress it to that size...

You can get pc's the size of a cigarette box these days lol (Raspberry Pi?). I can imagine most of the innards being hollow with a few lead weights chucked in to make it feel substantial :p.

You can get pc's the size of a cigarette box these days lol (Raspberry Pi?). I can imagine most of the innards being hollow with a few lead weights chucked in to make it feel substantial :p.

LOL you have a fair point there Roy. :rofl:

Which reminds me, when I was a kid me mother refused to entertain the idea of assisting me to buy an imported NEC PC Engine for Christmas (by assist I mean - save my pocket money for a year and her chuck in a cheeky £30-40) because it was 'too small'. She refused to acknowledge how good the graphics looked at all. If it had been rubbish but four times the size, she'd have been happy to buy it.

Edit: the NEC PC Engine, wasn't a PC....it was this...

Nec-PC-Engine.jpg

Archived