Home

Need help with installing mods

essxiv

Hey guys, i'm new to the forums, made an account for this specific question(s)!

I'm a currently learning programmer (Python), know the basics/some fundamentals.

So I get the concept of files (somewhat) for the mods to work..

I wanna start off by saying, I don't have the TSL whatever it's called.

Yes, I did try to install it multiple times. I just don't really understand how to install/use it..

Even so, I did end up modding my KOTOR1 and KOTOR2(Have NOT played yet, playing KOTOR1 first) already.

Basically if there was an installer that came with the mod, I just used that: SteamApps > Common > swkotor. That's where I just hit install to usually for mods that have the installer.

If there was no installer, I read the ReadMe.txt files and it usually just stated to unload files into Override folder (Which I did).

Now, i'm running into a few problems.

Yes, I realize I modded my games pretty "Messy", which is causing problems:

1) Some of the sounds are gone.. IE) When I gain Light or Dark points, there is no 'music' for that part, which is sad :( . Does anyone know where or what I can do to fix that?

2) Installing mods to the first KOTOR, there didn't seem to be really any "DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE(OVER-WRITE) THIS EXISTING FILE?", which meant, I wasn't really over-writing files (or mods). That being said, when I installed KOTOR2 Mods, I had TONS of "DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE(OVER-WRITE) THESE EXISTING FILES?". Which if I had to guess, I messed up a bunch of mods (Haven't played kotor2 yet). I just basically want to know how do I install these mods in a certain way where I don't run into this problem, and all my mods work?

3) Is it possible to have every single mod work? (since alot of mods over-write other mods' files) I use about 15-25 for EACH Kotor1, Kotor2.

THANKS! Sorry if I seem like a noob, I THOUGHT I would be using Nexus Mod Manager, just like Skyrim/New Vegas, which would have been ALOT easier..

• 4 weeks later...

essxiv, it is hard to say what is wrong, when are mods overwriting each other. Sometimes these conflicts happen because of the same *.2da file. If a mod doesn't use TSLpatcher, you will have to resolve conflicts manually.

TSL (The Sith Lords) = KotOR 2 (K2)

If you are missing light/darkside point gain music in K2, you can check StreamMusic and StreamSounds folder for "mus_s_darkshort" and "mus_s_lightshort" files.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaspian gives solid advice.

I suggest starting fresh.

1. Make a list/table of the mods you want to install.

2. Read the ReadMe of each mod, and

3. On the list/table, mark each mod if it:

-- Uses Patcher/ Does NOT use patcher

-- Known issues/specific compatibility (important for NON-patcher mods)

4. Install the mod(s) that does not use the patcher, and has the most built-in compatibility, or least known issues. Reskins will often fall in this category, if it is a simple one-to-one reskin mod; group skin packs need the patcher or to be installed early.

5. Install your patcher mods, and with a little luck things will be awesome :D

Many older mods, like those of RedHawke and Darkkender, do not use the patcher but have some "built-in" compatibility, in that their 2da files and some scripts have been made to work with or without certain mods installed. Thus the importance of reading all of the ReadMe files.

Archived