Home

AI upresing Monkey Island background art

Lechuck

I've been thinking for a while how much I'd love to have a framed print of some Monkey Island 2 background art. I was looking through the collection of what's been released - which we're lucky to have - but I was sad that some of my favorite backgrounds are not among them. Like Woodtick, or the exterior of the International House of Mojo. We do have a very low res scan of the interior, and I thought, what if I tried using one of these new AI tools to upres that and see if I can get something print-worthy?

But then I wondered... what would happen if I put the original pixel art backgrounds through it? I thought the results were interesting enough to share:

room 007_002.jpg

room 014_002.jpg

room 021_002.jpg

Then I wondered, why not try some Monkey 1 backgrounds too?

room 028_002.jpg

room 035_002.jpg

Perhaps not quite as successful since they weren't originally hand drawn, but I thought it was still interesting. I know these are all poor mans attempts at getting something we don't have, but people more talented than me could probably turn these into something pretty nice.

Edited by Lechuck
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

On 9/14/2024 at 10:17 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Woodtick came out quite nicely!

Agreed it was probably the best

Not surprisingly, upresing the actual low res art leads to better results:

houseofmojo_upres_1920_3.jpg

Edited by Lechuck
  • Chef's Kiss 1

12 hours ago, LuigiHann said:

I'll be impressed when AI gets to the point where you could feed it the concept art and the pixel art and it could map them together and fill in the gaps.

Something that I have in mind is to try to train ESRGAN using the concept art and the relative backgrounds extracted from the game...

But I am a total newbie to ESRGAN and AI training and I still have to find the time...