Home

Dark Horizons Story Questions

tHe_SiCkNeSs

Here is the basic premise of Dark Horizons:

In the year 3075, SofTec is the largest manufacturer of many of the day’s top weapons, combat vehicles, and machinery. It was three years earlier that they created the Griffon, an anti-gravity combat vehicle like none the world had ever known. It topped anything the militaries of the world could produce, and it would likely change modern combat when it finally saw its release. While the idea of the Griffon was revolutionary, the production and research were slow-going. SofTec knew it would take several years to ready the Griffon, but they had no idea of the disaster that would follow its testing.

Finally, after three years, the Griffon was all but ready to be tested. That was when Eric Thompson leaked information regarding SofTec’s top-secret project to the press. He was immediately released from SofTec when he came to work the next day, but he never made it home. The board of directors at SofTec were hounded by the media, and they had all intentions of pulling the plug on the project. Jay Taloni, head of Project Griffon, tried desperately to talk the board out of it, but he would not be heard. He was informed that the Griffon research branch would be taking on a new project. A project that had been transported from the Japanese SofTec labs. All of these events transpired in a mere ten hours.

As it was, the Griffon test vehicle would be destroyed in front of the people who created and designed it, and all production of other Griffon vehicles would cease immediately. The vehicles that were already assembled would be locked away in case the company should ever decide to re-kindle Project Griffon. What SofTec fails to see is that members of the Project have their own agendas, and will stop at nothing to have the Griffon technology for themselves…

Here is a bit about the heroine of the total conversion:

Codi Rabin is a lead designer of the Griffon. She worked on the thruster technology before becoming a project supervisor under Taloni. She has no knowledge of the meetings between Taloni and the board, and she does not know about the plans to expunge the Griffon. She will, however, play a very important role in the events about to transpire. A role that not even she can begin to imagine.

I am the writer of the story for Dark Horizons, and I am here to field any questions you may have about it. However, being that I do not want to give away crucial information that may spoil the experience for some readers, I may not be able to answer all questions regarding the mod. I will, however, do my best to explain anything you do not understand.

Note that because character bios are not yet completed, information I give about the story's characters is subject to change at any time in the project development. This includes names.

So, get to asking! :eek:

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: tHe_SiCkNeSs ]

1)

....the Griffon research branch would be taking on a new project. A project that had been transported from the Japanese SofTec labs.

Perhaps this is too vital to the plot, but what, if you have it worked out, is this Japanese based project?

2) What is the bias of the main character. Is she going to follow orders and do SofTec's bidding, or is she Pro team Griffon and going to be a "rebel" as it were?

3) What is the relationship between your heroine, Codi Rabin, and Jay Taloni? Love him, hate him, indifferent, thinks there is something shifty about him. etc..?

Ok, here are some of the answers to the questions that you asked.

To matt-windu:

Flying the Griffon may or may not be possible in the final game. I haven't yet reached a point in the story where flying the Griffon may be needed, and I don't know whether I ever will or not.

To Letalis:

There will be several main characters in the story. Codi, obviously, along with Taloni will be the characters essential to the plot early on, but there will be others.

NPC interaction will play a major role in Dark Horizons. I am trying my best to ensure that there is a great story behind the action. The mod may start out slow, but it turns into a rocket ride after about 15 or 20 minutes.

This is just a little added info, but if any of you have played the PS2 version of Red Faction, you will know what I am talking about. Codi receives transmissions through her headset throughout most areas of the game. These will look much like the ones in Red Faction.

To Syndrix:

Yes, I cannot reveal the Japanese project as that will be revealed about a fourth of the way into the game.

As for where Codi's loyalty lies........you will find out after about 20 minutes that there is much more going on then you think. Sorry, but I cannot elaborate on that.

Codi and Jay Taloni are friends at work, although they have little contact outside of work. She thinks he is a good boss and respects him for his knowledge of the Griffon and how it works.

Hope that makes you guys just wanna play it more. :D Keep on askin'!

Thanks. I am doing my best to ensure that this TC provides a compelling gameplay experience and also supplies a gripping storyline. I am currently working on the story's backbone, but as soon as I am finished I will go back and add other aspects(mainly scripted sequences) to further enhance the story and make you, the player, want to keep pusing forward.

Also, expect to see me hanging out on these forums quite a bit to field questions and add my two cents when necissary. :D

Will Codi have the chance to "test" some of the new weapons that SofTec developes?

How soon in the story do we discover what happened to Eric Thompson? Is that part of Codi's mission?

Is there plenty of sub-plots to keep us entertained during the game, or are we focused on one, big, main aim?

Will Codi have surprising allies as well as hidden enemies?

Is Taloni just as unaware of the events that are about to transpire as Codi is? Or does he have more of an idea, and must keep it hidden?

That'll do for the moment! ;)

Thanks for takin' the time, it's much appreciated.

Letalis, to anwer SOME of your questions:

1) Yeah, Codi will find and use some SofTec weapons in development as well as well as using the ones dropped by her enemies.

2) I am actually in the middle of writing what happens to poor Mr. Thompson. :D I'm not sure how far along in the story this is, though, as I am not finished yet.

3) In Dark Horizons, there is one main plot that is constantly changing throughout the course of the game. Codi will not be motivated towards the end of the game for the same reasons she was at the beginning. I can't elaborate on that.

4) As for allies and enemies, you'll just have to wait and see. ;)

5) Taloni knows a bit more than he lets on, but that's all I can tell you at this time.

As always, thanks for your anticipation and interest in this WLS mod. Sorry I couldn't answer all the questions, but I did my best.

tHe_SiCkNeSs

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: tHe_SiCkNeSs ]

Yes, Dark Horizons will take place on Earth and possibly somewhere else. No, not an alternate dimension and definitely not Mars, but there may be another locale somewhere. We have yet to decide what city the SofTec building you work in is located, but it will be a US city.

tHe_SiCkNeSs

I couldn't resist, here's some more:

Baddies, evil minions, who are going to be those poor unfortunates who I shall be blasting into oblivion?

Why did the project have to be cancelled just because the media got wind of it? Considering it was just about to be tested, wouldn't they have found out about it soon anyway?

What SofTec fails to see is that members of the Project have their own agendas, and will stop at nothing to have the Griffon technology for themselves…

Are they all so greedy? Are any of them happy to be off the project and onto the new one?

Is there something specific about the Griffon that's really valuable, for exaple the thruster technology? And that's why many people want it?

Any chance Codi makes a visit to Australia? :rolleyes:

Ok, once again, I'm temporarily out. Don't feel obliged to answer any if you don't want, I don't expect it. I really appreciate the time you are taking. I just have a huge curiosity, that's all. If I'm getting annoying, let me know...thanks! ;)

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Letalis ]

For your question about the bad guys in the game...........I cannot answer that at this time, sorry.

The Griffon had to be cancelled because this project was top secret. If anything went wrong during the testing, lies would have to be made up. Also, the Griffon was NOT scheduled to be released to the public at any time in the near future. As with most SofTec projects(in a month or two a comprehensive company history will be released), the Griffon would be sold to the governments of the world first. Basically, the highest bidder. The media finding out about this advanced war machine could bring some governments down on the company. Hope that at least partially answers your question.

No, not all the staff members that worked on the Griffon are so greedy. But, as it is, only Taloni knows about this new project.

The Griffon is valuable because it is the most advanced combat vehicle ever created. It can out-manuever and out-gun anything any other company is able to produce at the time the mod takes place. The hard plans for the Griffon could be sold for billions of dollars to many different governments.

Nope, Codi is not likely to make a trip to Australia, sorry. :D

• 1 month later...

Hey, just thought I'd post this little news tidbit:

I found someone to create some great weapons for Dark Horizons. From what I've read from him so far, he's pretty good. I think you'll all be impressed with the creativity we are trying to add to the weapons. There will be some typical current-day weapons to use later in the game, but other than that all the weapons are original creations or creations inspired from weapons from other games.

Laters.

Archived