Home

JEDI KNIGHT II is a silly title...

Impulse49

Aw, guys, don't you think JEDI OUTCAST: JEDI KNIGHT II is a silly title? Despite marketing concerns, I think calling the game JEDI KNIGHT II shows a disrespect for the origins of Kyle Katarn. He started out in DARK FORCES. This is the third game installment of his story (MOTS was only an expansion), and that should be acknowledged.

However, I can understand that it's important for JEDI KNIGHT to be the prominent words on the box, since JEDI KNIGHT was a much bigger hit than DARK FORCES. In that case, why not make the title JEDI KNIGHT: OUTCAST - DARK FORCES II. Or drop DARK FORCES II, and just make it JEDI KNIGHT: OUTCAST, or perhaps merely JEDI OUTCAST. If the numbering's grown confusing, then discard it the way STAR TREK movies have.

I wish they wouldn't number the game as the second installment. It isn't. DARK FORCES is where it all began.

- Ibrahim Ng

Guest Rogue15

And it'll probably end up coming in like a 2-pack, I can see Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight addon in 1 box, and Jedi Outcast to the right of it, in another box. therefore, Jedi Knight, and Jedi Knight II. I hope they go for a trilogy, that way we all can get Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith (jedi knight addon), and Jedi Outcast...

Originally posted by Rogue15:

<STRONG>well, it's the second full version game where he's a jedi knight in it, and you play as Kyle through the whole game (I HOPE).</STRONG>

And as the Dark Troopers were the eponymous villains of the first game, being the "Dark Forces" of the title, it would seem a bit daft to use Dark Forces in the title if there were in fact no dark forces in the game. Or something.

ed_silvergun - going back to bed. :D

Honestly if it had the stupidest title you could possibly think of, it wouldn't make a bit of a difference to me.

It's whats inside that counts.

Besides, I think Jedi Knight 2:Jedi Outcast is a very fitting title based on the events in JK and MotS. Kyle is no longer a mercenary, he is a Jedi. Instead of living in the past, focus on the now.

Dark Forces = OUT

Jedi Knight = IN

Actually, I have to defend Impulse(although this conversation have been gone through quite many times). It's true that Dark Troopers were those "Dark Forces" that original game was referring to, but also in JK there appeared a new menace that can be put into that same category: Jerec and his seven dark jedi. Now in JK2 we again have a new dark jedi(or was it Sith Lord this time?), who I guess also has his own army of stormtroopers and possible dark jedis, so title like Dark Forces III: Jedi Outcast wouldn't be too far-fetched... ;) In reality, name of the game doesn't really matter that much, if it's content is in a right level, and JK2 DOESN'T show "a disrespect for the origins of Kyle Katarn".

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Lord_FinnSon ]

Guest Krayt Tion

The Dark Forces name could easily apply to JO- Kyle surely faces some kind of Dark Force(s) again as he must once again save the galaxy. Yes, I am fairly confident that the decision to make part of the title Jedi Knight II was a largely a marketing one.

However, Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II or Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast still makes sense- this is only our second main adventure with Kyle as a force user (MotS excluded), if not a Jedi Knight. I really like the Jedi Outcast part myself, it is quite appropriate.

The real question in my mind is was it more appropriate to use Dark Forces III instead of Jedi Knight II and as a die-hard DF fan I vote for the former. Jedi Outcast: Dark Forces III is what I would have called it, but in my mind this issue is over and done with.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me what they call the game...although I think most people will eventually refer to it simply as Jedi Outcast.

As far as the Dark Forces title goes, think of it this way...

We had the original Dark Forces, then we had Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II...now if they had decided to call this game Dark Forces III, they might be tempted to say...well, there's a trilogy, let's call it a day.

Instead we have Jedi Knight II...so if someone gets it into their head to round the series off as a trilogy...we may actually get another game in the series after Outcast. And that would be absolutely fine by me. ;)

Guest Krayt Tion

Ya, we'll probably all eventually be calling the game Jedi Outcast or JO in the future. How many non-newbie people did you know that called JK Dark Forces 2?

Maybe there is a stigma attached to trilogies...

...then again, Ultima got to what, 9? Doom is coming up on its 3rd unless Doom 3 is only a working title, WarCraft is going to 3... Quake easily hit 3 (now coming up on 4), there will probably be a 3rd Deer Hunter if there isn't already :p I think the better selling titles can afford to keep slapping another number on end, so long as they continue pounding out popular gameplay.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]

Archived