Home

Official sabering ladder

DarthLocutus

Hi all.

I hope this hasn't been discussed earlier but I can't seem to get the search function working.

I'm wondering if there are any plans at Raven/Lucasarts to do a kind of official ladder tourney that continues on throughout the game's life and is moderated (either by volunteers or Raven/Lucasarts people). I'm thinking along the lines of the old XvT and JK ladders that were based on the web, though this would be entirely ingame, and you select ladder play from the main menu.

I think it would really be an excellent addition. You register on a database and are inserted into the ladder as "unranked". You then challenge people above you and move up. Could even have prizes etc based on special skins or little medals that are put on your torso in-game. Duels are setup as: no force/sabers only in special maps (could be rotated each week by Raven staff). I hope the saber combat is good enough that epic duels could take place over a period of minutes. Once you die once, that's it.

There are some cheating concerns, though you could stop that with serverside code.

Opinions?

That is a really good idea but I doubt I'ld ever use it because I usually never play online. How ever I'm sure my brother would use it quite frequently when we don't have at least three people to play LAN.

Hey maybe they could put in an offline version like LAN tournement.

A question I had was that when you die do you go back to unranked or is the battle just over. Because if you went back to unranked it would be like one big tournement and if you think about having to fight higher ranks. If they were each individual tournements then even if you won one then you would go back to unranked anyway so everybody would start at 0 basically and you said that you had to beat people higher then you. What I'm getting at is that it would probably work better as a duel like the tribes 2 feature. I admit I played that once.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that point. I meant 1 death was the end of the duel. Most of the time in JK for example it can go to 2 or more deaths to decide. I was pointing out I think it would be best to cut it to one death. The combat should be much more intense with the particle collisions.

Once you lose a duel, I would suggest you don't move down in rank. You would stay where you were. Of course you would get tallied on your wins and losses and it would display those on the ladder list, in-game. Once you won, you would go up in rank. Similar to Cases's ladders. In those, you ascend by how different your ranks are. If your opponent was ranked 200, and you 300 - and you won, then your new rank would be 250. People would get pushed down in ranks because of these actions so it would be good to be active :)

I would think it would operate somewhat like that. I just hope it even gets implemented *grin*

Ladders of course in an unofficial capacity will always exist, and they will be excellent. I am hoping for an official ladder(s) though. I believe it has more potential, with it being moderated and prize wise in terms of special content.

My idea was only for nf sabers but of course there could be different ladders depending on play type.

Please stop doing that.

You're idea is good, but until people actually play the game then they wont be able to make a firm decision. Just let it lie until people get a better indication of the sabering system.

After that, you will find that people start posting.

wardz

DarthLocutus, people are free to reply to any threads they wish. If someone does not reply straight away, that is hardly a reason for keeping your topic at the top of the forum. That is tantamount to waving something under everyone's nose until they take notice...and some people find that annoying.

I understand that some topics may get buried quickly, but that is the nature of the forums. No person's thread is really more important than another's, so please stop bumping... :cool:

As wardz said, people may not be able to make a firm decision until they actually play the game. You can always resurrect your topic in the future. ;)

I'd be nice to see an offical ladder, but I'm against giving out prizes of any value. They ruin ladders to be honest. Everyone ends up cheating and it simply becomes a contest of who can cheat better then everyone else.

Example? Look at the Starcraft Ladder. Offical prizes were given out and within a month or two everyone was cheating just so they could get that trophy.

And plus it takes an incredible amount of manpower to monitor everything... who'd be willing to do that day in and day out for god-knows-how long?

I think with a serverside database (where you store your character, rankings - prizes) as well as anti cheat code implemented for checking clients, I think cheating could be minimised. Since it's ingame, that should be easier than a website based ladder. I would think also demos could be made and sent to a moderator of the official ladder to identify trouble.

CWT is just another website ladder. What is to stop the cheating there? Basically nothing, except players who meet and recognise it. I believe an in-game ladder system could cut cheating down significantly more than this. But obviously Raven would have to be adamant about preventing it.

there were loads of JK ladders knocking about at one stage, cases ladder sticks in my mind until it died out.

then theres still the ocassional AWT tourney knocking abt isnt there? its been a while so i dont know. but they may reappear?

and of course u never know the infamous WoW (week of war) may stump up for JK2

As I have said previously, I know there are the other ladders that *will* be available, it is inevitable. I don't think you are understanding what I am proposing. This is not just a simple ranking system on a web page. This is FULLY integrated into the JKO client, so that it is an option on the multiplayer menu ingame. It's another mode of play really.

That's why I wanted to get some responses, and perhaps get some feedback from Raven on this point. I am still hoping for that, but their doesn't seem to be much of a push for it by either the members on this forum, or them. That is unfortunate as it could be a very exciting way to play JKO when it is released.

That's right. I hope it would be moderated as well by either leaders of the community or Raven/Lucasarts people themselves. Having little badges/ranks as rewards on your skin would draw people to it I think, and increase the longevity of the game.

You would create a character and store it on their server, even with a custom skin/model. If you were in the top 50, they could add little insignias onto the skins from their side, so it is visible to all. Almost like a mini MMORPG in JKO.

• 2 weeks later...

Two facts make me think that an ngWorldstats-style system for Jedi Outcast is a possiblity.

1. Microsoft purchased ngWorldstats

2. LEC and Microsoft have a fairly close business relationship.

Would be great if there were a 'JediWorldstats' site!

Meanwhile, an official ladder sounds great to me. I think it should be for multiple gametypes, not just for lightsaber dueling, as a matter of course.

Another related question is will Jedi Outcast appear in the CPL or other professional leagues that sponsor Q3-tech games where gamers can compete for actual cash and other prizes?

The old-hat zone-style packet-loss-ridden smack talk was all well and good, but if the regulated competition is for actual money, the real wheat is separated from the chaff ;)

I'll see if I can dig up any info from CPL on this question.

1. Microsoft purchased ngWorldstats

2. LEC and Microsoft have a fairly close business relationship.

Good points Wilhuf

I had proposed something like this in the forums long ago (I think in owk.net)

And now that te game will probably have zone support, and microsoft owns ngWorldstats, there is a big chance we will have stats for outcast :D

Yes we've already discussed this issue a long time ago in a galaxy far away...

Even if there is no ngStats for Jedi Outcast, server admins will likely have the option of hosting their own server-specific rankings and statistics. Aeon, for instance, has said he will develop Jedi Outcast support for his Aestats parsing, ranking, and stat page generation package.

True, it is not as comprehensive as ngstats, but it is a fairly sophisticated piece of freeware software which provides reliable ranking and statistics on a per-server basis.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived