Home

New site and new screens!

Guest Hannibal

FAQ!

1. General Questions

1.01 What is Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast?

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is the sequel to LucasArts' 1997 smash hit game Jedi Knight. You can read the official press release here </press/releases/38.html>.

1.02 What's the storyline for Jedi Outcast?

Kyle Katarn returns in exhilarating first-person action. Several years have passed since Kyle avenged his father's death and saved the Valley of the Jedi from Jerec and his band of Dark Jedi. Allowing his Force powers to languish for fear of falling to the Dark side, Kyle set aside his lightsaber, vowing never to use it again. But when a new and menacing threat to the galaxy emerges, Kyle knows he must reclaim his past in order to save his future.

1.03 When will Jedi Outcast be released?

The game is currently slated for early 2002. We'll be able to provide more specifics as the release date gets closer.

2. Technology Questions

2.01 What game engine is Jedi Outcast using?

Jedi Outcast is being developed using id Software's Quake III: Team Arena engine technology, heavily modified and adapted by Raven Software.

2.02 What level editor are you using to make the game levels?

Raven is currently using a version of Q3Radiant to make game levels for Jedi Outcast.

2.03 What animation package are you using to animate the characters?

Raven's animators are currently using SoftImage to animate the in-game characters.

2.04 What programming language are you developing in?

Visual C++

2.05 What software are you using to make the models?

Player and enemy models are made using SoftImage. Non-player objects are developed using 3D Studio Max 4.2.

3. Gameplay Questions

3.01 What type of game is Jedi Outcast?

Jedi Outcast is an action-oriented first-person perspective game, similar in nature to the original Jedi Knight. Third-person perspective is used for lightsaber combat.

3.02 Will there be multiplayer game options?

Yes. Jedi Outcast will ship with both single player and multiplayer capabilities.

3.03 Will there be a co-operative (co-op) mode?

There will not be co-op play where multiple players can play through the single-player missions simultaneously. Team deathmatch multiplayer is planned, however.

3.04 What kind of weapons will be in the game?

So far, the weapons that have been announced include the stun baton, bryar blaster pistol, flechette, Wookiee bowcaster, thermal detonator, blaster rifle and the lightsaber.

3.05 Will I be able to use Force powers?

Yes. Confirmed Force powers include: Force Jump, Force Push, Confuse, Force Heal, Force Speed, Force Lightning, Force Choke and Force Pull. Kyle will also be able to use the force to throw his lightsaber and exercise varying degrees of control over it while it's airborne.

3.06 Can I choose to play as a Light or a Dark Jedi?

Kyle's experiences with the force have always had him teetering between the Light and Dark side of the Force. As such, Kyle has and uses a wide range of Force powers in his own unique way.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

Mah Gawd, those screenshots are blowing me away! That thermal detonator explosion and stormtroopers flying... damn!

And the new HUD was revealed... you can definitely see the resemblance from JK in it, but I really like the new one.

They put up an FAQ, Jedi Knotes, and even a link to our very own JKII.net! I'm thinking we'll get a rather large influx of members starting... now. :)

I said they wouldn't have Co-Op.

Overall I am extreeemly pleased with these shots and it is definitely worth the wait. They have done so well and if anyone doubted Ravens ability at the start they surely would choose them now...

Its nice to see that we get the nod for the fan site. Well done folks!

wardz

The graphics are outstanding, but I'm a little concerned about that one screenshot that looks like one of those really irritating platform-jumping levels. I don't see any reason (other than complete lack of imagination) to include jumping puzzles in this game. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but that screenshot looks like the interior of some kind of silo that has platforms that are positioned so the only way to get to them is by using force jump. Plus the platforms have lights on the bottom so they can be easily distinguished. It's only a screenshot, so it's hard to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any purpose to the platforms other than a (ridiculous) method to ascend the walls.

Hopefully, I'm wrong, and there are absolutely no stupid jumping puzzles. At the very least, maybe it will be the only instance where the developers resort to moronic level design to compensate for lack of imagination. I've been so hyped about this game, but I fear that with the elimination of rpg elements and reduced force powers, JKII may not be able to live up to its predecessor.

But hey, the graphics are absolutely fantastic.

Archived