Home

JK2 on the zone

WD_ToRMeNt

that guy better be fulla sh*t...i dont wanna see jk2 all messed up like that....we want DEDICATED servers, not some gay "oh ill host" that opens up all these laggy games and less people than normal (player amount)

god...why would they make it on the zone...why???

OK calm down. JK2 WILL support dedicated servers, however it will be possible to play it on zone, much like Quake 2 (If that sysop is to be believed, I was in Nar chat when he said that).

I guess there may be something to my theory that there is some kind of deal/connection/partnership between M$ and LEC.

There IS a deal! Of course, come on, the star wars franchise. The Zone. Micro$oft. LucasArts. It's all about the popularity of the Zone and the Games. They scratch eachothers back. It's all about the money! I still can't see how they want to make the zone profitable... But M$ has enough in the bank...

OK there are several topics on JK2 and the zone, and I think these are some facts that I think we can all agree on.

- Playing on the zone will lag much worse then finding games through other means. Try playing quake 2 on the zone sometime. The zone it's self creates lag, and there are many with 56k connections which are no good for hosting with a q3 engine. A 56ker might be able to host a decent game for 1 or 2 but only if the persons live fairly close and have good pings.

- The host always has a big advantage with a quake 3 engine. The lower the ping the less you have to compensate for lag, and the less you get killed becaue you loss connection for a second or two. The host has a ping of 0 and can lag kill other players.

- JK2 is highly likely to be supported by gamespy and Kali, as well as having the quake 3 ingame option to search for servers.

- Players who come to JK2 from UT and Q3 wont use zone at all for the above reasons. Most people using zone will be zone JK players (that's pretty much everyone reading this board) and newbies who just just want to play MP and saw the link in the manual.

Personaly, I will use the zone to chat, but I doubt I'll play much on it. I think gamespy is a nice alternative to zone. They display the dedicated servers instead of having people host games. There is also the IRC channels.

I've played a bit on GSA (Game Spy Arcade for those of you not up on the lingo) and the lag is noticeable less. Plus it's a lot easier to have more than four people.

If you haven't, d/l it and give it a try, my GSA name is Letalis. ;)

Archived