Home

SMILe...the death of flash

matt--

SMIL(pronounced "smile") is a subset of XML that does animations. It works right in the webpage and requires no plug-in. Currently, it is only implemented in IE5.5 and up. But, it is a proposed W3 reccomendation and it is suspected to become official and widespread in newer browser versions. It also will work in realplayer and mediaplayer. I have read a few articles and they have said it could be the end of flash animations, mainly because these animations require no download.

lol...i didn't mean that it would literally die. It would subside is what I meant. Besides, I read a tutorial and picked up the basic syntax is a couple of minutes. I haven't done anything useful, and probably won't until other browsers implement it. That's why I'm getting used to the language.

Tut Tut. Matt, you should be ashamed of yourself, making a mockery of other peoples web designing skills!

No, nothing worth linking to, I would not be setting a very good standard of behaviour for the others to follow if I were to make fun at peoples sites, so I wont mention any details.

wardz

Well spoted Seryl, now it makes much more sense! :)

Matt, any sites you can send us to with a bit more info on that script? I wouldn't mind having a look, thanks in advance...

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Letalis ]

Archived