Home

PC Wizkids. Aid me in my time of need!

Ice Man1587246496

Okay my PII 400 froze up earlier this morning. I then reached for the reset button and pushed it. But instead of rebooting the way I was accustomed to, the screen remained blank. There wasn't the tradional whirring sound of the starting up of the computer. The computer also would not actually turn OFF! I pressed the power button several times and tried the reset button as well. Even the slightly less recommendable pulling out of the plug in the wall.

Well the last one did turn the PC off but when I stuck the plug back in the computer was as before: On, but not running properly. It wasn't starting up.

My dad believes this is a hard drive failure. The hard drive is an 8.4 GB Maxtor drive that's 2 and a half years old. Could this be it? Would a new hard drive fix this problem. Your expert opinions?

Guest Boba Rhett

Well, I doubt it would hurt. :D

Seriously though, my brother had almost the exact same problem and we assumed it was the hdd also but we tried reseating everything and it fixed the problem. You might wanna give that a try.

I guess that's not much help but it's all I got. :o

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: Boba Rhett ]

Well the monitor was automatically going on standby because there was no computer activity. The graphics card is only about half a year old. When we took the signal cable out the monitor began displaying properly again "No Signal" or something of the like. Any other ideas? Because unless we find out that the problem lies somewhere other than the HD, we'll be buying a new one by the end of the week. Guys, this is inmportant...Any other suggestions?

Um... don't buy another hard drive unless you want one just to have more space. This probably isn't the problem. If it was the hard drive, you'd still be able to turn it on and at least get to the BIOS. Seems to me like your motherboard crapped out. Other problem could be the processor. Possibily video card.

Open up the cards and make sure everything is seated properly. Make sure the motherboard is screwed down and everything. Make sure IDE cables and power supply cables are ok. Put case together, and then check that the wires are correctly attached. Also, you may want to run a continuity test to see if you're getting power... it might not be the computer at all.

Archived