Home

Cable Modems to Become Three Times Faster

CaptainRAVE

A new standard has been cleared for release which should boost the Internet speed of those using cable modems by 300%.

The new standard, called DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) 2.0, will allow more bandwidth to be used, which will increase network capacity and greatly reduce the time needed for downloads, and especially for uploads.

The greater speed will allow for more advanced Internet functions, like videoconferencing, which will become more popular in the future. The standard will be completed by the end of the year, and products using it should hit the market in 2002/2003.

I remember hearing, in my computer class at school, which is a HUGE waste of time, but that's another story, that there is a modem or whatnot, called ATM, I can't remember what it stands for, but it can send and receive at rates of 655Mb per second. That is insane. Supposedly, that is gonna be the standard in 10 years...

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:

<STRONG>Yea, but in 10 years it will be in the same proportion as our 56K modems. Games used to be 200KB, now their 800MB, in 10 years time they will probably be HUGE!!</STRONG>

I totally agree. :(

NOLF already takes up 910Mb, and I once installed the hi-res textures along with UT, which took up 1.2Gb.

I know you don't really have to install the whole game, but it helps with game performance.

Didn't Quake used to take up about 50Mb? So today's games are 20 times the size of that in about 5 years.

So in 5 years, lets see, 20 x 1Gb is...20Gb. :D

Of course, by then we'll have much larger hard disks, and the high capacity replacement of the DVD. Still, I wouldn't want to wait around for that to install. ;)

5 years x 12 months = 60 months

60 / 18 = 3.33 (for the sake of simple calculations we'll use 3)

2^3 = 8

My guess is we'll have 8 ghz processors by then. As for RAM...

Actually MRAM(magnetic) is supposed to be out in 5 years. For those that don't know, MRAM will be able to make computers retain information after being shutdown. I'd rather have molecular ram, but this is alright for now. Think about it...NO boot time...instant on. :D

If you're using Moore's law as a basis, I think it's gone out the window. Processor speeds have doubled in less than a year. Intel recently showed a 3.5Ghz chip up and running (IDF conference).

Which means it could potentially double every year from now on...taking it up to 32Ghz. :D

There's an interesting thread in the 3DActionPlanet forums about just this issue...they reckon using current tech, we will only be able to reach a ceiling of 20Ghz before the tech bods have to introduce something radically new. ;) My stop-gap measure would be SMP...put, say, 4 x 20Ghz chips on the same board, with optimised software to take advantage of it. In addition, shunt off some of the workload of the CPUs to other dedicated processors, much in the same way it is now with the GPU.

Then all you need to do is radically redesign the mainboard to optimise data throughput, get rid of any bottlenecks, and you'd have a screamingly fast system rendering movie-quality images in real-time.

As for the MRAM, I hadn't heard of that one, although I know there are various developments concerning data storage. Got a link, please?

As for hard disks, at some point they have to seriously consider phasing them out in preference to something much faster - because they are the main data bottleneck in your PC (apart from CD/DVD drives and floppy disks). It could be MRAM, if it has a high enough capacity.

And yeah, it would be cool if my desktop appeared the second I switched on. :D

The holographic article says it will be out by the time Episode II is out on 3-d discs. GL hasn't even put the original trilogy on DVD!

And a terabyte on a sugar cube sounds interesting. 1 gig per second is amazing. I once heard, if we develop molecular storage, we'll be able to store a near-perfect 3-d model of earth and save it on a sugar cube. I think THAT would solve our game-size issue...no?

Thanks for the link to MRAM. I think I'd read a small snippet in a PC mag somewhere, but that was a lot more detailed.

Yeah, I knew about the Holographic Memory...been following that story for a little while. ;) Pretty good innit?

However, it will still create a bottleneck on the super-fast systems of tomorrow because of it's moving parts.

If MRAM could be made with a super-high storage capacity, and could rival the speed of DDR RAM, and could be made cheaply enough, then there is no reason why it could not simply replace your current hard disk too. Remember - no moving parts. Therefore, it frees up the main data bottleneck in the PC.

And for games, how about something like a high-capacity MRAM card that can be read instantly? No more game installations required - just plug in the card, get instant access to your game, and away you go.

Of course, the problem will be attaining a high enough capacity, i.e., up to the same level as the holographic memory model - 1 terabyte.

But the future of gaming certainly looks bright. :D

Oops...I obviously didn't engage my brain properly while reading that article. :D

Have to read it again when I'm not so tired. ;)

Just swap out MRAM for Holographic in most of my last post, and you get the idea, though. Cards or sugar-lumps - I don't really care what shape it is as long as it's small, portable, easy to slot in, and gives me instant access to my games.

Note to self: start saving all those damned pennies. :D

Archived