Home

Collector Box Edition?

M@nd@lori@n

Originally posted by Millions o' Monkeys

well ill take the game even without the box. The box is really the least imprtant feature of it. And anyway all my boxes end up in a dark smelly corner somewhere :)

i take care of all my game boxes. I still have the game box for my first PC game Duke3d.

How about a special collectors version on DVD? With makings of documentaries, teaser trailers etc etc.

More importantly, when are game companies in general going to start utilizing DVD technology more! I mean this great medium is just sitting stagnant in the computer industry. Of course i always hear the excuse/reason that not enough people have DVD-ROMS for their computers, which is fair enough.

How many of you guys have a DVD-ROM? Cos i have one, had it for over a year now. I don't think i've ever used it for software, only watching movies every now and then.

DVD-ROM is a huge waste of time

I have had one for 3 years and have never used it, of course I have PS2 and a DVD Player, but still I think the computer's DVD-ROM is a waste until games come out for it(3-4 years min because nobody has or will get DVD-ROMS until CD's are so out of date that stuff requires a DVD format)

A collector's edition on DVD sounds good to me, especially if it's packed with some of the other stuff I mentioned in my previous post. I do have a DVD-ROM drive, and I have used it for more than simply playing movies (which are quite acceptable on my 19 inch monitor). Many PC magazines offer DVD versions, which usually have a lot more content, in terms of reviews, demos, patches, etc., that are not available with their CD editions. So it proves useful in that way.

I am also contemplating getting the DVD editions of Baldur's Gate, I and II. (Yeah, I know, I haven't played them yet...) If more developers did DVD editions of their games, I would buy those editions.

Incidentally, I think there is a misonception among some people that DVD-ROM drives are slow. They're not. Mine is an 8x speed...but that just means it's 8 times faster than the original DVD-ROM drive released. It equates to a data transfer rate of around 70-80 Mbits/sec. A 32x speed CD drive is around the 5.5 Mbits/sec mark. It also doubles as a 40x speed CD drive, which reads faster than my CD-RW drive (24 x speed). The reason why they may seem slow is because they hold a lot more information. ;)

You know, I was never too keen on that whole behind the scenes, show making of deal. What will sell me to the special edition would be.

1. complete compilation of all previous JK games, df, jk, mots.

2. soundtrack of game music.

3. small toy of some sort. Of kyle, of the bad guy, of the ship that someone flys in, a robot from the game. hell, they can even put different ones in each special edition box so people can "collect all four" or something. Though it's a little mean to torture collectors like that.

4. cloth map (hehe, just kidding about that one).

Originally posted by Millions o' Monkeys

well ill take the game even without the box. The box is really the least imprtant feature of it. And anyway all my boxes end up in a dark smelly corner somewhere :)

Maybe with the old cases I would have also said that. But with the new cases the CD case IS the bos :).....so it wont end up in the corner of the room or my bin any more :)

Archived