Home

I just saw Lord of the rings!

ReAcToR

I think we can all be thankful that Tom Bombadil wasn't in... he added nothing to the story and was completely freaky. If this guy came onto the screen 30 minutes in, started twirling the ring around his finger, started singing about what a merry fellow he was while wearing a bright blue coat and yellow boots then most of the audience would leave...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,

Bight blue his jacket is, and is boots are yellow.

None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:

His songs are stronger songs and his feet are faster.

Tom:"Hello! Would you like to sing about boots, and lillies, and river daughters?"

*The_WAH pauses a moment*

Tom:"I'm a fool, and the ring has no power over me, let us sing!"

*The_WAH pulls out a .44 magnum*

Tom:"What is that for friend? No matter, it is a simple trinket and would not please my Goldberry, please put it away and we will sing some more!"

The_WAH: NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

*The_WAH empties several rounds into Tom*

Tom:"Why did you do that? Come on lets sing!"

*The_WAH collapses in fear, the words "Peter Jackson, save me..." leak from The_WAH's mouth*

*Tom disappears, and in his place stands a portly New Zealander with wild black hair and a director's cap.*

The_WAH: "Thank you Peter Jackson for getting rid of Tom!"

The whole Tom Bombadil bit was my least favorite part in the entire trilogy. I'm happy he's gone :D

Agreed, if anything had to be cut out of the movie, I guess Tom would be the best bet. However, I thought I heard that the original cut of the movie was over 4 hours long....so, if they happen to release the full 4 hours on DVD ( crosses fingers ), it might be cool to have thirty minutes of the cut hour be about Tom. Sure, he is a freaky thing, but he is pretty dang powerful....it would also allow them to do the Barrow-wight scene and have it fit logically into the storyline. Also, that would delay them getting to Bree so it wouldn't feel like the first part of the movie was so rushed.

As for the other 30 cut minutes, it would be cool to maybe see the three stone trolls ( 5 minutes )...maybe the fight with the wargs just before getting into Moria ( 15 minutes )....and possibly fatten up the Rivendell section a bit as there were quite a bit of details revealed there that are fairly important ( 10 minutes ).

Of course, that's all wishful thinking...but that's what I'd want to see if there is a fuller version released for DVD.

BTW, did anyone notice that at the Council of Elrond bit that when Gimli took his axe to the ring and the axe broke, five seconds later he had his axe inhand intact?

I just got back from my third viewing of the film. Excellent movie !

The_Wah, Gimli doesn't pull out his axe, he gets the axe from the other dwarf sitting next to him. I know it can be confusing to, but i try and notice every little detail.

This movie is a flawless adaption of the book, in my opinion.

i saw that axe thing too, but oh well.

that was one of the most brilliant films i have ever seen, but the characters names were a bit un rememberable i got most but not some. i really like what happened when Frodo put the ring on, and the effect that was used.

it was good. :)

*EDIT: Spelling and punctuation :/

The axe thing is not a fault! Gimli doesn't use his axe!! If you were watching closely you would have noticed pulls out the axe from the other drwarf sitting next to him..

Sorry, I guess I missed that, I was paying to much attention to everything else and wasn't expecting Gimli to leap at the ring (It didn't happen in the book) Don't you think it was rather rude to use someone else's axe? I bet he had to pay for it later, I know when someone brakes my stuff I make them pay for it.

No worries.

A fanstastic film in all regards. Everything was exactly as I imagined, as told by Tolkien.

I didn't iamgine the balrog tyo be as much liek thar. i imagined the eyes tyo be firey but not quite the way they done it in the film... but great film all round.

I was a little bit taken back by the addition of that super Orc thing since i had only read the first book in the trilogy. Now that im half way through the second one, it doesnt bother me as much because i can see that it is pretty much true to the story (in fact a similar character exists in the second book)

I guess that some of the changes annoyed me at first, but now that I've seen the movie three times, I'm less bothered by it. However, I never caught them mentioning that Anduril, the broken sword that cut the ring from Sauron's finger, was reforged in Rivendell prior to the fellowship leaving. In some ways a small detail, but in other ways, not.

I too am wondering about that detail, Rancor. They clearly had the scene where they showed the blade and they could have easily reformed it (maybe like 2 minutes of screen time?). How are they going to reforge it now if the fellowship is broken? And Aargon is gonna need that sword....

*Possible Spoilers*

*Now*

I just went with my two sisters, and they and I loved it. I have never read the books, and was totally blown away by the movie. The action, acting, sound and visual effects were just perfect. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Oddly enough, one of the best parts for me was when Arwen was riding from the Ring Wraiths with Fordo. That was one of the most intensely cool parts, with them running so fast while she's whispering spells and stuff the entire time. But, Legolas or Aragorn was my favorite characters. Aragorn, was just so noble and good, where Legolas was just down right cool. Those arrow shots were awsome. I guess I like him, because I'm just learning how to shoot with a traditional style bow, so his scenes just blew me away.

And that fight at the end where Aragorn is fighting that "Super Orc" or whatever, was as good or better than that fight at the end of Episode I. I mean, fast paced, brutal, and no dialog during the fight to slow it down. That was amazing.

So, anyway, it was the best movie I have seen in a while, and I already want to see it again and can't wait for the next one. I'll definately be reading the books now.

Oh, and since my sisters liked it, I guess at least some girls weren't creeped out by it.

Archived