Home

Obi-Wan Update

Outlaw

Still didn't finish the game, work and the holidays get in the way. I'm a lot farther into the game now where it intersects with the movie. What I can say is ever since the droidship escape the levels have become a lot larger and more challenging. The Theed levels are some of the largest I have ever seen in a console game. You really know what it is like to be a Jedi while fighting through these levels. There is even some humor in thrown in. Example, you can here the battle droids talking around the corner complaining how much there joints ache! This game becomes better as you go along. Its really worth a purchase or rental.

I agree the game gets better as you go along. I don't like the fact that in order to advance you have to beat one of the council members (Mace Windu is kicking my @ss). Also, the storyline should have been with Obi-Wan investigating the assassin droids, not that Episode I mess.

Was watching a friend play obiwan the other day and he was able to front flip through the whole swamp of the Ji'had or what ever there name is while drawing only a few blaster shots. Most of the guys stood around and watched him. Sounds like fun to me...

Originally posted by StephenG

xbox isnt out in australia yet but i've seen gamplay movies of the theed levels in obi-wan. they are huge and i reckon the levels in obw are bigger than the ones that are gonna be in Jedi Outcast.

Uhhh... have you seen a huge quake 3 level before? No? Well ive played one that took bout 2 min to get across while traveling at 5x (at least) the normal speed.... so jediknight 2's levels will be huge, i assure you this, at least 1 mapper will make a huge outdoor map....

Originally posted by StephenG

xbox isnt out in australia yet but i've seen gamplay movies of the theed levels in obi-wan. they are huge and i reckon the levels in obw are bigger than the ones that are gonna be in Jedi Outcast.

Uhhh... have you seen a huge quake 3 level before? No? Well ive played one that took bout 2 min to get across while traveling at 5x (at least) the normal speed.... so jediknight 2's levels will be huge, i assure you this, at least 1 mapper will make a huge outdoor map....

my best friend invited me over today and tomorrow to help him play through obi-wan, which he got along with an X-BOX this christmas. we're gonna play it as far through as we can. i'll reply again tomorrow to say what i think about it.

so far, my friend says the graphics are little but average, but the gameplay is surprisingly better and faster than we expected, especially considering the lightsaber problems we thought there would be, as well as the major problems at the E-3 convention last year (which they fixed very well, apparently). he hasn't told me how far he is yet, but we plan on restarting and giving it an 18-hole play-through.

once we're done, i'll get back here and tell all you "interested" peoples what we've decided on this game. i'm yet to see any reviews for it on the internet, etc. so if any of you find one soon, say so.

this game is actually becoming much better than i think anyone expected.

i just hope that Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II will still top it on the charts.

see ya soon...

my best friend invited me over today and tomorrow to help him play through obi-wan, which he got along with an X-BOX this christmas. we're gonna play it as far through as we can. i'll reply again tomorrow to say what i think about it.

so far, my friend says the graphics are little but average, but the gameplay is surprisingly better and faster than we expected, especially considering the lightsaber problems we thought there would be, as well as the major problems at the E-3 convention last year (which they fixed very well, apparently). he hasn't told me how far he is yet, but we plan on restarting and giving it an 18-hole play-through.

once we're done, i'll get back here and tell all you "interested" peoples what we've decided on this game. i'm yet to see any reviews for it on the internet, etc. so if any of you find one soon, say so.

this game is actually becoming much better than i think anyone expected.

i just hope that Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II will still top it on the charts.

see ya soon...

Originally posted by digl

what is the message?

Here it goes:

Choose the Force. Choose a job. Choose the Dark side. Choose the council. Choose a flubbing big lightsaber, choose protocol droids, holoprojectors, and R2 units. Choose Watto, Tatooine, and Alderaan. Choose fixed-interest credit payments to Sebulba. Choose a Corellian freighter that did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. Choose a Wookie. Choose sitting in Jabba's throne room, watching mind-numbing dancers, stuffing green chubas into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, dissappearing into thin air, nothing more than an embarrassment to the whiny kid you trained on the way to Alderaan. Choose your destiny. Choose the Force. But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose the Dark side. I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got a lightsaber?

Weird, hunh?

Ewan Mcgregor did a film called trainspotting and its famous for those sort of words, like those words you just said there. Is that what you weren't sure about? If you're an american, thats why it prolly makes not much sense.

?

wardz

Well, I just got back from my friend's house after a nice, fun time with Obi-Wan.

That's the point, right?

Star Wars: Obi-Wan is actually a very nice game. As many believe (such as I), what makes a game great is the gameplay. The learning curve for Obi-Wan can be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on if you're used to using the X-Box controllers or not. Me? I wasn't. But I still only took about 20 minutes.

Saber control can be hard at first. You just can't automatically know it. You have to learn it.

The best way to start is the training course. (Duh). It actually does explain just about all you need to know. If you still don't know how to do something, READ THE MANUAL. I don't know how many times I have to remind my brother to do that. You start out with how to move, crouch, and jump. You then move on to some training droids, which you get to work with your saber with. You then continue with force powers, which are actually quite effective, and more useful than most would think (especially compared to the cheap Force Push power in the Phantom Menace game). Force Pull is great against annoying blasters, Force Push-ing battle droids against walls and bomb droids just about anywhere makes kills quite easy, Force Throw objects at those annoying Jin'ha (who I hate ALOT), and use Force Jump to pull yourself out of some very sticky situations. Of course, there's also Force Saber Throw, which allows you to throw the spinning saber and control it while in mid-air, great against groups of battle droids...

("Surround the Jedi!" (battle droids begin running towards you, blasters in hand)

*phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlump*

"Beeoowww..."

*thump*)

I've taken out a group of seven with saber-throw. :D

That's what makes this game fun.

Oh, and if anyone remembers any mention a while back about a "special" instant kill attack where Obi-Wan sweeps the feet out from under someone and then impales them with it?

It's perfect for Jin'ha. And it's just plain COOL.

The game is set up in five episodes, the first being in the Coruscant slums, then the Jin'ha base, next the trade federation battleship and Naboo, then on to Tatooine, and finally back to Naboo. Each episode is divided into any number of levels.

I won't go into way too much detail about the game, but it starts out fairly annoying, with groups of grans, rodians, and our good "Bossk"-looking buddies surrounding you all the time.

Then, in the second episode, we've got the Jin'ha, those damn people who take usually three saber attacks to take down. I suck at these guys. My best friend rules against them, though.

Then the game gets fun, on the Trade Federation Battleship. This is the best level I've played so far. Battle droids are killed with only one hit, bomb droids are easily pushed and detonated, and fighter droids are slow and take only three hits to kill usually.

Like I said, using saber-throw into a group of battle-droids is perfect. It's an instant kill for any of them it touches, and it's great to watch a line of them go down in an instant.

Also, unlike most enemies, battle-droids are intelligent. They set up in attack formations, surround you, and more. Of course, that's also their weakness...

("Hmm... group of battle droids in three lines of two. Uhh..."

*phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa-phlumpa*

"Bzzttt!!!"

*thump, dink, crumple*)

I love the sound of it.

Speaking of the sound, Qui-Gon, Mace-Windu, Ki-Adi-Mundi, battle droids, deflected laser bolts, rolling destroyer droids, they all sound great. Everything could almost be perfect.

But it ain't.

The one thing I hate about this game truly and dearly from the bottom of my heart...

...is the guy who does Obi-Wan's voice.

My best friend does a great impression of it.

As mentioned before, this sounds bad, and is a disgrace to the Scottish.

But that's not all.

This voice is a disgrace to Obi-Wan Kenobi. It's a disgrace to Star Wars. It's a disgrace to the human race. It's a disgrace to every race. It's a disgrace to the universe.

Someone PLEASE toss me a Jar-Jar.

When it comes to this guy, I'll take Jar-Jar any day.

Now to the two-player battle mode.

There's something special and equal about every character. Ki-Adi-Mundi has great force and also nice anti-force, but he's weak and slow. Qui-Gon is awesome at blocking, has quick force reflexes, and kicks ass at Force Throw, but he powers up slowly and is also weak. Plo Koon is probably the most average. My personal favorite, Saeen Kinn (or whatever his name is, the guy with the two horns that go down the sides of his head), has fast force power-up, average force reflexes, but terrible blocking. He sucks at force push, but his force throw is okay, he has powerful lightsaber attacks, and is probably the best saber-thrower there is.

Just one problem...

...I never got to try Mace-Windu.

My best friend hadn't unlocked him yet. And we had decided not to because we would restart his game and try to do better in the first few levels.

But I bet he's pretty cool. I imagine slow, maybe a little weak, but the best force user around.

And no, no Yoda, guys. Sorry.

Now for the graphics.

Polygons are not so great. Qui-Gon's got a beard problem. It's a half triangle hanging down from his chin. Bleggh. Skins are okay. Levels are immersive, but not interesting. Effects? Great. Battle droids split in the right places. Enemies die well. Saber's make somewhat good marks in the walls. Framerate is helluvalotta better than at E3. There are a few times that it'll temporarily freeze, but I'm seeing that in all X-Box games (except Fusion Frenzy, which kicks Mario Party's ass). Cutscenes have a minor problem: useless movement. You should see Obi-Wan talking during the first few...

("I" *moving right hand toward chest* "am" *spinning left arm around in a circle* "ready," *taking left hand and lifting it over right hand, as right hand takes a little walk forward* "Master." *jump, spin, leg jiggle, cartwheel, head-spin*)

Speaking of cartwheels, the acrobatics are actually a nice addition to the game. They're great for dodging fire, evading the Jin'ha, and back-flipping behind a chasing enemy.

Overall, this game is great. Gameplay gets better as you go.

No puzzles.

No stop in the action.

And what makes a game great? What makes a game like Serious Sam, Max Payne, and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II a good game?

I'll tell you.

FUN.

So if you're the typical action gamer who's looking for something new, get out there, rent an X-Box, and enjoy Obi-Wan.

I'd give it at least a 9.2 out of ten.

Of course, Jedi Outcast will still kick it's ass.

But until then, happy trails.

And may The HAT be with you.

Firstly, it appears I have forgotten a few things that I probably should have mentioned. My self-conscious reminded me of these after a few hours.

Firstly, I forgot that there IS a button (the black button) which spins you around the other direction. It was really useful against the Jin'ha, from whom I often had to run away from. I would get a little distance from those fast little nerfherders, spin around, attack, and repeat. It was actually a very useful addition.

Next, I realize that the Gamespot UK review mentioned that the game needed a strafing ability, rather than just cartwheels. Actually, in a way, it did. The right trigger is used as an auto-target. Once you target in on an enemy, rather than turning by moving the left joystick to a side, you strafe.

Next, there's the view button, which, of course, allows you to look around. Unfortunately, for some damn reason, you can't attack while doing this, so don't use it unless you're fairly safe. Still, it is useful, especially if you can't see the difference from a ramp and a total drop-off. (That happened to me on the last level of the first episode. It wasn't good.)

Finally, something I forgot for some very stupid reason. Force View is the force power that slows everything down. During battle, this really has no use, except for maybe just eye-candy. But in the single-player game, it actually came in handy against those damn battle droids. I had been surrounded by some on the dreaded force field trap in the first Trade Federation level. I turned on Force View, and next thing I knew, blocking was a snap.

*snap!*

Speaking of blocking, it's simple. If you're just trying to make sure not to get hurt, just hold the lightsaber joystick back. But to deflect those laser blasts back to it's source, you have to get the timing just right, and TAP the joystick back just before the laser reaches you. It's actually very simple.

Now, back to business.

Does anyone else think this game should've been given a wait? Like maybe after Episode III comes out?

Because what I want is a game based on ALL of Obi-Wan's adventures, spread out through the entire series. Now THAT would be cool.

Anyone else agree?

And by the way, why couldn't they still make this for PC? It would've been much more popular, and I'm sure anyone who wants it could at least afford a Microsoft GamePad. It would basically be the same in every way!

Now I wish I had an X-Box.

:(

If it sells well, we will most likely see a sequel

The PC to XBOX move may end up to be great for LEC if OW (and the eventual sequel)sell well, and this move also rushed the sequel to JK (I dont mean they are rushing the game, I mean they probably wasnt thinking in a JK2 so soon before OW got canned)

Archived