Home

Fast Teching

Leia's Panties

Im relatively new to SWGB and have limited AoK experience.

It has taken me a few weeks to be able to beat 80% of people on the zone. Ive found my win/loss ratio has greatly improved since i learnt that you must start building workers ASAP and DO NOT STOP. My scores have thus remained relativly equal with 99% of the people I play before combat commences. The query that I have is how are these people out teching me, whilst managing the spare resources for the troops that attack

My fastest tech 3 is 18 odd minutes so its not like i dont have a clue. I understand that you need to go food heavy to get the workers built and the cost of the tech researches but what im confused on is whther the top players stop building workers to save for the tech 3 upgrade? Am i missing a trick here for speed? yes i eat my bantha/nerfs and eat the surrounding animals, yet I find i just cant cut my time down

I don't play other people (just the computer, at least so far), but it seems to me, if you have enough food gatherers, you should be gaining food faster than you lose it building workers. In other words, say you have 100 food. You go to your CC and build 1 worker. Your food goes to 50. The worker takes 30 seconds or so to be produced (never have timed it myself, and of course it will depend on the game speed setting). After the 30 seconds, if you have "enough" food gatherers of whatever type (including having nerfs in a herding area or whatever), your worker is produced. Look at your food. If it's 100 or less, you need more food gatherers. If you had enough, by the time that 1 worker was produced, you'd have well over 100 food, so that even while you are building workers, your food is increasing.

Another thing to remember is to do tech upgrades. Making your farms last longer, your carbon-workers better gatherers, etc, will help you move on up through tech levels faster, and help you gather resources more efficiently.

Probably you know most of that already if you get to tech 3 in 18 minutes, but those are my thoughts.

Well i though 18 was the prime time to shoot for well i was playing the other day and all of a sudden 16 minutes hits and he goes to tech 3 and well i was just about to click to go to tech 3 so you see how far ahead he was and i watched it and had lots of banthas lots of hearders and lots of hunters and slowly added more onto carbon but anyone that can tech 3 that fast will always win. so be aware on food aboundant maps look out for 16 minute tech 3's

yes its those 16 minute tech 3's that i jsust cant pull off, even on high food maps.

Im building workers non stop putting all on food at first and slowly putting more onto carbon, so yeah im making food faster than i can spend it on workers. This i find will set me up for a 23-25minute tech 3, maybe a little quicker on a high food map. If i stop making workers i find that this can shave off a minute, but i cant really take advantage of tech edge with my reduced workers. Just wanted to know if im missing soemthing.

The advances i make upon t2 are the farm and carbon centre ones only, maybe the optimizer whilst im waiting for the last few hundred food depending. Slimming my expenses down still doent put me into that 16 minute category, was wondering how it was done.

well the guy i saw doing this that tech 3 in 16 minutes had 25 workers before he clicked to go to tech 2 than but the time he tech 2 he already had almost 500 food already waiting. i think he had 8 hunters 13 herders and 4 on carbon when he went to tech 2. he was also the gungans he also took 2 or 3 workers after he clicked tech 2 to collect nova. I have a recorded game of this i think if i get around to it i will upload it and post a link so you can see how he tech 3 so fast and maybe you can learn from hom how he did things. till then cya.

LeGion

I always have between 20-25 workers before upgrading to T2. That usualy lets me cruise through T2 in just a few min. It also helps to be fast, meaning your ready for your next worker to come out and give it something to do. I've seen people let 2 or 3 workers pile up at the CC while there scouting or something and then wonder how I could beat them to T3.

Grimjack and legion are right. A fast tech 3 is the most important factor.

On a high food map you should not have any problems doing it fast.

If you are a rusher than you have a platform for air rushes/pummel drops, or if you are defensive get your AA turrets in place, and move toward tech 4.

On both strategies you want to buil another 3-4 command centres so that your economy can boom.

OK tonight i will be uploading the game so all can see this fast 16 minute tech, its a great game to watch, he fends off a troop rush at the same time also. keep checking back here later for the link. i should have it up in about 4 hours or so when i get home. He did this so fast and efficiently i thought he was cheating some how till i watched the recording. ok i will reply later tonight

LeGion

ok here it is the record game of the 16 minute tech 3 save it to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds\Game\SaveGame or where ever you have SWGB saved. The guy to watch it SPQR_NEW_BLOOD... ENJOY here is the link

http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/sofakingood/images/game.mgx

do what he says below right click and than save as on this link to download.

just right click the link and use "save target as"

I'm looking forward to seeing this I'm usually hitting tech 2 around 16-18 minutes :o

Though yesterday I was messing with the comp on easiest and I did it in 10 mins :D, only once though :( never again.

Originally posted by Kudar

just right click the link and use "save target as"

I'm looking forward to seeing this I'm usually hitting tech 2 around 16-18 minutes :o

Though yesterday I was messing with the comp on easiest and I did it in 10 mins :D, only once though :( never again.

10 mins :eek: thats impressive! Did you have loads of nerfs for nurseries? I think you get more the easier you have the setting on. But they make a huge difference to your food income!

okay I managed it in around 11 minutes on HARD :)

11mintech2.JPG

but in doing so I was leaving myself way to open for my liking as almost everyone was on food!

I've still to watch this recorded game, but I will do so soon :)

Originally posted by Kudar

okay I managed it in around 11 minutes on HARD :)

but in doing so I was leaving myself way to open for my liking as almost everyone was on food!

I've still to watch this recorded game, but I will do so soon :)

I prefer a longer tech 1, so I can whizz through tech 2, and then boom in tech 3.

Tech 1/2 rushes are easy enough to resist. As soon as I hit tech 3, I send some strike mechs to the enemy base's casrbon pickers.

The strike mechs are soooo annoying if you are only in tech 2.

Originally posted by duder

I prefer a longer tech 1, so I can whizz through tech 2, and then boom in tech 3.

Me too, I was just trying it for speed, the extra 5 minutes or so I usually stay in tech 1 would have allowed me to produce a few more workers that would have given me a decent starting grounding, as it was I had no troops going into tech 2 which isn't good, especially not against the comp who usually has between 5 and 10 troops as he hits tech 2 then you :o

Archived