Home

Jedi Knight dead?

Captain-Olm

• 1 month later...

Im new here, but I used to play Jedi back when it first came out. I used to be a regular on the Gameplay (BT) site when it used to host online games...but like many others, when Gameplay closed I moved onto other games...:atat:

But after watching the movie for jedi II and having pre-ordered it yesterday I dusted off the old copy of Jedi I and had a quick blast on it at lunchtime.. I want to go online again with this game because I loved the Lightsabre battles......is the Zone the last place to play??? ....

...what really got me thinking about going back online with Jedi I was after I read the transcript of the Jedi II messages on the website, someone offered the people involved in Jedi II to a game on Jedi I....and i wanted to know if it was still going?!?! ?!? ...

Sorry about the rambling nature of this email.....

Porl''

P.S. I love the smilies on this forum..they're the coolest I've seen!! ! :band::bdroid1::fett::jawa:deathstar:deathii::atat:

If you want to set up/join a JK game, there are plenty of Massassians who regularly still play. Just log on to the irc server, irc.massassi.net 6667, and join either #massassi or #jkirc (the second room is specifically for people looking to setup/join JK games).

The average "life" of a game is 4 months... due to the time it takes to finish it (run out of things to do), mods/expansion sales, and of course rising hardware standards in games makes stuff obsolete fast. Then you have some old games getting bumped off due to obsolete OS's and that sort of thing (but then you have them being brought back by emulation).

It's hard to judge.. the community still exists, the game is still being sold, it's still considered a "classic" by many magazines and sites. I dunno...

I'm not sure where you draw the line on numbers of people still playing the game to consider it "dead." Some might consider a game "dead" as soon as development support stops for it (but then does that mean new patches stop coming out? Or that the game company stops offering copies?).

Heck, people still play Doom for goshsakes, and continue to make mods and improved source ports for it!

I guess you could say they're past their prime selling/playing record... but I think "dead" is too loaded a word. It makes it sound like the game is gone forever...

Forgot to mention that there a few Massassians who regularly still play... If you are looking for a game, try using an IRC chat client and connect to irc.massassi.net 6667, and join either #massassi, or #jkirc (the latter room is reserved for people looking mainly to setup or join a JK game). The chat is also accessable through the Massassi main page at http://www.massassi.net (click on chat on the left as soon as the page loads).

I look at it this way - if you even have to ask if a game is dead almost 5 years after it came out, then in a way it probably isn't. I've installed some games that are just a couple years old (Dark Reign 2 for example) and there's not a soul around for the game. I was looking for a good game to install (I've got a ton) and nothing seemed interesting. I then saw my MotS CD and realized I never finished it - 2/3 through and then hard drive died. I installed it and it's just as much fun as when I started JK years ago. I'm playing it at about every spare moment I get and the game still rocks! JK/MotS will always be a classic in my book!

Archived